The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2021, 06:41 PM   #1
bac1023

Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

I just picked up this baby yesterday. Can't wait to shoot it. Its like nothing I ever owned before.

Anybody have one here?

Old January 21, 2021, 09:22 PM   #2
Nodak1858

I've never heard of it before. But the more I look at it the more I am feeling like I need one. Where did you find ? What kind of money do they run, I would guess a pretty penny.
Old January 21, 2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Warhammer

Beautiful pistol! I would love to pick one up, but $5000 is more than I want to pay for a single handgun. I hope that some of the Alien's features make their way into more affordable guns.
Old January 21, 2021, 11:00 PM   #4
Mosin44az

Amazing appearance and workmanship. Looks like the designer even signed the carrying case.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:31 AM   #5
bac1023

Yes, they were $5000 plus tax and shipping. However, some people are flipping them on Gunbroker for much, much more.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:43 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Give us a range report when you get a chance.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 23, 2021, 10:05 AM   #7
smee78

Looks good, I like the additional red dot slide/top but about 5x out of my price range.
Old January 23, 2021, 05:31 PM   #8
glove

Nice, That is more then I paid for my first new car.
anyway.
Old January 23, 2021, 05:56 PM   #9
ghbucky

Wow, that's some pretty exciting stuff!

I wonder how that will come into play in competitions? Go into unlimited classes?
Old January 23, 2021, 07:31 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

Are the sights worth writing about? Notice no rear picture for them?
Old January 23, 2021, 08:48 PM   #11
bac1023

It’s designed for Production Competition.

The sights are great, in my opinion.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:57 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Quote:
I wonder how that will come into play in competitions? Go into unlimited classes?
The only things I know of that the Alien is competitive at are IPSC Production and IDPA ESP.

I don't know whether NROI can squint hard enough to say it meets USPSA Production specs.

I don't know just what you mean by "unlimited classes."
Certainly not USPSA or IPSC Open.

Last edited by Jim Watson; January 23, 2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:06 PM   #13
mrt949

Always A Pleasure To See Quality Firearms
Old January 24, 2021, 02:56 AM   #14
BourbonCowboy

That's one fine pistol. But if I decided to drop that much cabbage on a handgun, it would be a Cabot 1911 - because I'm a lefty, and I've always wanted a 1911.
Old January 24, 2021, 12:58 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

Not really my style personally and way out of my price range. Really cool gun, but not being a pro shooter I doubt it would really benefit me in any way other than cool factor.... I will stick with my G19....
Old January 24, 2021, 01:11 PM   #16
Jim Watson

There was a rumor that the designers would really like to license the design to a large gun company like they did with the CZ Scorpion EVO.

That should bring the price down, but would also likely give up some of the Old World Craftsmanship that bac prizes. Not that an Alien of TSO quality would be a bad thing, if priced accordingly.
Old January 24, 2021, 02:49 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Seems like a lot of money for a 9mm Luger, though I do note it comes with several built in cheese graters!!
Old January 24, 2021, 03:35 PM   #18
bac1023

Quote:
Seems like a lot of money for a 9mm Luger, though I do note it comes with several built in cheese graters!!
All jokes aside, 9mm pistols have proven to be the most valuable semi autos. Most high end pistols that have gone through the roof in value and price are 9mm.

Actually nothing else really comes close.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:54 PM   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Not really my style personally and way out of my price range. Really cool gun, but not being a pro shooter I doubt it would really benefit me in any way other than cool factor.... I will stick with my G19....
You sure don’t need to be a professional shooter to reap the benefits of a gun like the Alien and unless you’re blind you’ll shoot it better than a G19.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:04 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
You sure don’t need to be a professional shooter to reap the benefits of a gun like the Alien and unless you’re blind you’ll shoot it better than a G19.

Shoot it better how though? Anything I’ve seen on this is more about speed and recoil (which is certainly important for competition and timed events) than accuracy. It’s no doubt accurate, but most production pistols can do 2-3” at 25 yd. While there are absolutely shooters that can do that while standing, my experience is it is not remotely common. The trigger on the Laugo looks excellent, but even stock triggers can allow good shooting.

Let’s be realistic, this is a luxury pistol like a luxury automobile. If you have the money and you want to appreciate the finer things more power to you. If all you’re worried about is commuting to work you may be fine with a basic daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 24, 2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:26 PM   #21
bac1023

Quote:
Shoot it better how though? Anything I’ve seen on this is more about speed and recoil than accuracy (which is certainly important for competition and timed events). It’s no doubt accurate, but most production pistols can do 2-3” at 25 yd. While there are absolutely shooters that can do that while standing, my experience is it is not remotely common.

Let’s be realistic, this is a luxury pistol like a luxury automobile. If you have the money more power to you. If all you’re worried about is commuting to work you may be fine with a basic daily driver.
What do you mean how?

It’s got a crisp, light trigger, a super low bore axis, very tight tolerances, and a 5” fixed barrel. A monkey could shoot it better than a Glock 19. Anyone thinking they couldn’t is seriously underestimating themselves.

It’s not a luxury pistol. It’s a serious competition pistol. Are $6000 2011’s luxury pistols too or are they competition pistols built to dominate Limited and Open? Many think $5000 is insane for the Alien, when it’s fairly common for competitive shooters to drop more than that on a 2011. I know, I’ve done it.

I have plenty of luxury firearms. The Alien isn’t one of them. It’s a purpose built handgun.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:31 PM   #22
TunnelRat

At what range? At 21’ where most people shoot do you honestly think it’s going to result in a massive difference?

It being purpose built in no way doesn’t mean that it isn’t a luxury pistol. You bought something that came with a signed case. It doesn’t need that to be a competition pistol. There’s an element of marketing to this that is comparable to other higher priced items in different industries.

There’s nothing wrong with luxury items. I’d add that the term luxury is also often relative. Just because you don’t consider $5000 on a pistol a luxury purchase doesn’t mean many others might not disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 24, 2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:51 PM   #23
bac1023

Quote:
At what range? At 21’ where most people shoot do you honestly think it’s going to result in a massive difference?

It being purpose built in no way doesn’t mean that it isn’t a luxury pistol. You bought something that came with a signed case. It doesn’t need that to be a competition pistol. There’s an element of marketing to this that is comparable to other higher priced items in different industries.

There’s nothing wrong with luxury items. I’d add that the term luxury is also often relative. Just because you don’t consider $5000 on a pistol a luxury purchase doesn’t mean many others might not disagree
To me a luxury firearm is just that. It’s a gun designed to just be super high quality and nice with no dedicated purpose. I have several and I agree there’s nothing wrong with them. Something like my Korth PRS or FK BRNO 7.5 I consider luxury pistols. The Alien is a gaming pistol, much like a $5000+ Atlas 2011 is a gaming pistol. They are not luxury firearms. They are meant to be thrown in and out of holsters and raced around the course. Period.

The signed case is only due to it being one of the first 500 pistols imported as a signature package. Quite frankly, it will be a better value than paying $4000 to $4500 for the gun with no extras, so it’s not like it’s marked up because of that.

I think you’ll notice a considerable difference between the Alien and a Glock 19 at anything more than 15’ or so.
Old January 24, 2021, 08:01 PM   #24
TunnelRat

I disagree. There's nothing about the term luxury that means the item can't be purpose built. Luxury is about being beyond necessary. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luxury

Obviously what is "necessary" is a matter of perspective and purpose, but for the average gun owner concerned about self defense and or local competition is a Laugo necessary for them to be successful or competitive? Remember, this is public forum that isn't restricted to top end competitors. A BMW M3 is a purpose built automobile. That doesn't mean it isn't a luxury purchase, for most people.

Larry Vickers has been a big proponent of the Laugo, calling it a revolutionary firearm. At 8:28 in the video below even he says, "The guys that are going for this are the guys that are driving Mercedes AMGs or Porsches or whatnot." It's not meant as a derogatory comment, it's just the reality that spending $5000 on a competition pistol is a luxury purchase for most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtXx_3f5e4

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: For 44 AMP
Old January 24, 2021, 08:18 PM   #25
bac1023

We will agree to disagree. If it’s just about money, where is your cut off point? Why buy a Glock for $$5-$600, when a $250 Taurus G3 has proven to be very reliable? The Glock isn’t necessary.

Call it what you will. I know the difference between expensive gaming guns and guns built to just be perfect. There’s a very distinct difference.

By your logic, a Glock is a luxury pistol for those who need to save up for a month to spend $200 on a self defense handgun.

Where’s your cut off point between necessity and luxury? If someone needs an Alien because they can dominate production competition with it, it’s not a luxury firearm to them. $5000 isn’t a ton of money in the competition world. As mentioned, many are as much or considerably more.