The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 10, 2021, 02:07 AM   #1
The Old Salt

45 Colt from a Governor

The S&W Governor does a decent job at 7 yrds with 45 Colt Cowboy action loads for this 70 yr old, bifocaled shooter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5707 (2).JPG (161.9 KB, 142 views)
Old February 10, 2021, 04:07 PM   #2
the Black Spot

Nice!
Old February 10, 2021, 05:00 PM   #3
AK103K

I really like my Governor. Its a kind of handy, "does a lot" in a reasonably small package sort of thing.

Mine seems to like 45acp the best from an accuracy/group standpoint, which isnt what I expected.

The group in the "wrist" is 45acp, the one on the "forehead", is 45Colt. All, including the bird shot, at 10 yards.

Old February 10, 2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Webleymkv

While I've never been particularly interested in the .45/.410 revolvers, given the current ammo situation I can certainly see the appeal of a revolver like the Governor that can shoot multiple calibers. I don't see why, in addition to .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, and .410 shotshells one could not additionally fire .45 Schofield or, with use of the moonclips, .45 GAP in a Governor as well. While .45 Schofield and .45 GAP are usually less common and more expensive, you might be able to find them currently when the more common calibers are unavailable.
Old February 11, 2021, 11:03 PM   #5
TruthTellers

The myth of accuracy with .45 Colt being "poor" in .410 revolvers has been routinely disproven. The .410 revolvers are not target guns, but for self defense they do what they're supposed to just fine.
Old February 12, 2021, 11:28 PM   #6
defjon

Mine runes 200 grain cowboy loads like a champ.

This load in particular must really grab the rifling, as it will place rounds ON TOP of each other at ten yards.

It does not like hornady for some reason (45 colt, not triple defense).
Old February 15, 2021, 12:17 AM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjon View Post
Mine runes 200 grain cowboy loads like a champ.

This load in particular must really grab the rifling, as it will place rounds ON TOP of each other at ten yards.

It does not like hornady for some reason (45 colt, not triple defense).
I've shot 230 and 250 grain Berry's bullets (they don't lead the bore like lead bullets do) and while I've gotten decent results, I get the feeling 200 grains would shoot better. Maybe the .410 handguns like the shorter bearing surface of a lighter bullet or the twist rate is just right. IDK what the twist rate is for the .410 handguns, but I assume they used as slow a twist as possible to keep the shot loads from spinning too fast.

Berry's does make some 185 and 200 grain hollow base bullets for .45 and I would like to test some of those in my Judge as I think the hollow base will grab the rifling well and accuracy will improve.
Old February 15, 2021, 12:38 AM   #8
BourbonCowboy

I don't have a Governor - but I do have a Judge...and I love it. At 30 feet, I get 6-inch patterns almost every time. I could probably do better with practice, but the current ammo shortage has forced me to cut down on my range time.
Old March 5, 2021, 09:09 PM   #9
MagDiddy

Do you guys ever shoot 410 shells from it? Can it shoot Buckshot? Will shot harm the barrel?
Old March 6, 2021, 07:56 AM   #10
AK103K

Ive used the Federal 000 Buck and #4 loads. Both seem to pattern pretty well. Havent seen any problems barrel wise.

For personal defense, at the distances you'd be using the Buck, I think Id rather have the 45Colt or 45acp. The average spread of the four 000 pellets, is well within most peoples group size error at the same distance with the 45's, and you have a more powerful round with less recoil.
Old March 6, 2021, 10:13 AM   #11
Sarge

Here's an article about loading the 45 Colt 'long' to cut down on bullet jump in a Taurus Public Defender. I shot it out to 25 and the results weren't bad. I'd expect better from the S&W Governor, which is doubtless better fitted and more accurate to begin with.

For informational purposes only and do not recommend you use my load data or alter your firearm.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the...nose-revolver/
Old March 9, 2021, 01:29 AM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Here's an article about loading the 45 Colt 'long' to cut down on bullet jump in a Taurus Public Defender. I shot it out to 25 and the results weren't bad. I'd expect better from the S&W Governor, which is doubtless better fitted and more accurate to begin with.

For informational purposes only and do not recommend you use my load data or alter your firearm.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the...nose-revolver/
I don't think seating the bullets further out is going to make enough of a difference to increase the potential for the reduced neck tension and bullets jumping crimp under recoil. We're still talking a jump of at least an inch.