The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2021, 02:55 PM   #51
Sanch

Hi 44AMP,

Your post makes perfect sense.

However, modern bolt actions such as Sako and Sauer are extremely reliable.

Some 10 years ago, I talked with an extremely polite and obviously extremely wealthy gentleman at a So Cal range. He was shooting a 10k+ (probably a lot more) JP Sauer and Sohn bolt chambered for .404 Jeffery. He was an African hunter. .404 Jeffery rounds dwarfed my 7MM Rem Mag rounds. Based upon my very very limited exposure to his shooting, his rifle was competition quality accurate and 100% reliable. He did put minutes between shots. I assumed it was to recover from recoil although he told me that it was a heavy rifle. I very politely turned down his offer to put rounds down range . .404 Jeffery cartridges looked like they could have stopped a Soviet tank.
Old February 3, 2021, 04:06 PM   #52
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
Back in the day bolt guns were more accurate than semis
They still are. Especially in situations requiring best accuracy.
Old February 3, 2021, 06:42 PM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
However, modern bolt actions such as Sako and Sauer are extremely reliable.
I'm sure they are. My Remingtons have been extremely reliable, so have my pushfeed Win 70 and others. But popularity, particularly with DGR rifles involves perception as well as actual performance.

And, still to this day, many folks believe the controlled round feed (Mauser claw) system is more reliable under extreme conditions. So people want, and buy those over others.
Old February 5, 2021, 07:50 AM   #54
jetinteriorguy

I believe ‘back in the day’ most dangerous game hunters on safari also had guides with an extra double barrel rifle for a quick hand off if necessary plus the guide usually carried some sort of bolt action rifle as a final bit of insurance.