The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2021, 08:21 PM   #26
TunnelRat

I don't quite understand why the word luxury bothers you so much. I feel like my comments have been fairly even handed and in no way have I attempted to condemn you for making this purchase. As you said, agree to disagree.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 24, 2021, 08:40 PM   #27
bac1023

Quote:
I don't quite understand why the word luxury bothers you so much. I feel like my comments have been fairly even handed and in no way have I attempted to condemn you for making this purchase. As you said, agree to disagree.
I hear you. I'm just trying to find out why you think its a luxury firearm is all. I'm tired of the stereotype of a gun being expensive and therefore not necessary, when a $500 Glock may seem more expensive to some than a $5000 Alien does to others. Where is the cut off?

Here's my Atlas Hyperion. It has no pretty finish and isn't at all flashy. Its built for one thing only, Limited competition. Its a thoroughbred and built to be the best Limited 9mm pistol in the world. It cost more than even the Alien. However, I don't see it as a luxury firearm. Its a pistol built for serious hard use and literally hundreds of thousands of round.

These are my idea of luxury firearms. These Korths aren't built for any particular purpose other than to be extremely nice. They are way too heavy for carry and not trimmed properly for any competition whatsoever. The blued finish is to look nice rather than be durable and the ergonomics are an afterthought. But they are damn nice. These are luxury handguns.

Old January 24, 2021, 09:00 PM   #28
TunnelRat

Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

Seeing as you want more explanation, relative to median income a $5000 pistol is more of a luxury purchase than a $500 pistol, or put another way one is a luxury purchase to more people than the other. One is ten times the price of the other, so the previous point should be relatively obvious.

That said, to some people a Glock is indeed a luxury purchase (I already said luxury is relative) and that person might be just as well off with a Taurus. I have no problem with someone buying a Taurus. Just because something isn’t necessary and is a luxury doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be purchased or that people should feel bad for purchasing it, I’ve clearly said as much up to now. That doesn’t mean, however, that the purchase isn’t a luxury to other people. I have no issue with someone calling my Glock a luxury purchase. The term doesn’t bother me.

I hope that clears things up. As I said originally, I look forward to a range report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 24, 2021, 09:07 PM   #29
bac1023

Fair enough

Luxury firearms and expensive firearms are not synonymous to me. I have both.

Cheers
Old January 24, 2021, 10:16 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
An M3 is a purpose built automobile.
An M3 what???

in my world, an M3 is a WWII SMG (the Greasgun) or a WWII tank (Lee/Grant).

I little more info would make things much clearer...

Quote:
9mm pistols have proven to be the most valuable semi autos. Most high end pistols that have gone through the roof in value and price are 9mm.

Actually nothing else really comes close.
Everyone has different priorities and opinions. 9mm pistols aren't the most valuable to me. And I would suggest that those high end pistols that have gone through the roof have done so for some reasons other than being chambered in 9mm Luger.

The most "Expensive" pistol I know of is the .45acp Luger, the surviving example was insured for a Million dollars over a decade ago, probably worth more now...

The Alien is novel, looks like a refinement of several different ideas in one platform. If you've got the scratch, scratch the itch. I don't, I already have several 9mms and I need to eat and keep the lights on for the next few months.
Old January 25, 2021, 08:36 AM   #31
Warhammer

The Alien is definitely a cool gun. Honestly, I see some features that have been standard feature on .22LR handguns for years. The low-axis, fixed barrel reminds my of my S&W 622 from 1992. And the slide that reciprocates independent of the upper portion of the gun is reminiscent of Browning Buckmarks and several other 22 autos. A gun with a fixed barrel is inherently more accurate and precise than one that move with ever cycle and has sights attached to a different moving part of the gun. The low bore axis results in less muzzle flip and a more straight-back recoil push. I don't know if Laugo was the first to think of incorporating these ideas into a 9mm or just the first to figure out the engineering of how to do it with a more powerful cartridge than .22LR. Either way, it's a darn cool gun and seems to do exactly what was intended. I'd love to see these feature in more of an "every day" pistol than the current "race gun" that the Alien is.
Old January 26, 2021, 04:48 AM   #32
bac1023

I should have bought 3 or 4 of them. This just ended last night at over $12,000.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889435846
Old January 26, 2021, 08:47 AM   #33
Skans

Looks like a striker fired pistol, but it was marketed as having a hammer? I generally like the innovation of the gun, but the one thing I don't like, in fact REALLY HATE, is the stupid Trigger Dingus. Why, why, why did they have to incorporate a trigger dingus?
Old January 26, 2021, 11:44 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
Looks like a striker fired pistol, but it was marketed as having a hammer? I generally like the innovation of the gun, but the one thing I don't like, in fact REALLY HATE, is the stupid Trigger Dingus. Why, why, why did they have to incorporate a trigger dingus?

Why not? It’s a simple way to incorporate a drop safety to prevent momentum from driving the trigger to the rear. Ask the folks at SIG Sauer how well it worked going a different route (and yes I’m aware that Walther has their own method on the P99 and others use articulated triggers).

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 26, 2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old January 26, 2021, 01:09 PM   #35
bac1023

The Alien needs a trigger safety. It’s the only active safety it has a very short and fairly light trigger pull. There’s no way it would be a safe handgun otherwise.
Old January 27, 2021, 08:43 AM   #36
Willie Lowman

That's a pretty sweet pistol, bac.

Can you post some pictures of it taken apart? I'd like to see what the insides look like.
Old February 14, 2021, 09:57 PM   #37
Desmosedici

Stunning pistol, thank you for sharing the photos.
Old February 20, 2021, 02:18 PM   #38
Flaman

Bac, Absolutely love the looks of this one!
Old February 21, 2021, 12:32 PM   #39
Pistoler0

It's pretty and cool, and fancy and probably very accurate.

I'd start considering saving for it if the price was halved, and it came in God's caliber.

---------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I came back after posting and took another look at the photos of your pistol, and I have to say that I LOVE your new pistol. I hope you enjoy it. I would totally buy one if I could.

Last edited by Pistoler0; February 23, 2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I realized that I LOVE the pistol and that I was jealous : )
Old February 22, 2021, 10:32 AM   #40
luger fan

A M3 is a BMW.
Old February 22, 2021, 01:40 PM   #41
wild cat mccane

It's cool for sure.

At some point sights and a barrel put a bullet in a place. Otherwise the lowest axis and trigger nearing 0lbs would always be the most accurate in anyone's hand.

Don't think that's true and it's a bit of a stretch to say a G19 is going to do equal to a 2K race gun...just as it's a bit of a stretch to keep saying more $$$ is better.
Old February 22, 2021, 03:56 PM   #42
TunnelRat

I wanted to clarify that in my earlier comments I wasn’t meaning to suggest that a stock Glock was going to perform on par with an Alien (though in reading it over it does come across that way).

For me the sticking point was the argument that you’d have to be blind to not notice the difference and then that even a monkey would shoot the Alien better. My experience is that the hardware for many shooters is frankly better than their software. I’ve seen this in close to 30 or so shooting courses (a fair criticism here would be these were defensive oriented, not competition oriented). Most people can’t achieve the mechanical accuracy capable of their $500 pistol. Will the difference with a $5000 pistol really be as dramatic as was seemingly being suggested? I think to a point that depends on the user and his or her intended use (and that goes back to some of the metaphors I used).

A fair counter to this, and bac touched on this, is that just because a person might not shoot well enough to do 2-3” at 25 yd with their production pistols doesn’t mean they wouldn’t appreciate the better trigger, ergonomics, and reduced recoil of something like an Alien. A person can also improve. Something like an Alien might allow for more headroom in this regard. There are also shooters that frankly are good enough to push the mechanical limits of different handguns.

An additional comment I would make is there are a lot of price points between a Glock and an Alien, including for competition. Often when it comes to firearms there are diminishing returns where to achieve more accuracy or more control you need to spend significantly more money. If a shooter is in a position where they have to make trades between money spent on shooting or training and money spent on the pistol, then maybe other options make more sense. If you don’t have those limitations then going for a unique system like the Alien may very well make sense.

Old February 22, 2021, 07:42 PM   #43
HighValleyRanch

Just watched a video this morning with Hickok45 talking about the same thing!
A 3K plua Wilson 1911 vs a 300.00 RIA 1911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7sb9Zp-8o

Of course Hickok45 probably can shoot that RIA better than most average shooters with the Wilson combat!

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; February 22, 2021 at 08:46 PM.