The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 17, 2000, 04:17 PM   #1
LASur5r

Since we're on the Halloween theme...Kid? in costume comes up to your door with bag in one hand and gun? (replica?) in the other. Kid looks like about 13 or older in size, but has a mask on. He/she? is holding it like it is a real gun.
You have not opened your door yet and you are packing on your hip (in holster) ...Now what?
Old October 17, 2000, 05:23 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

That is a scary idea.
Give the kid candy - let him go away - then call the police.

If he tries anything - let him know yours is real.
Realistic or not - you should be able to tell if its real.. Toy guns dont have rifling.
Old October 17, 2000, 06:14 PM   #3
MTAA

It was Halloween, 4th grade, Catholic school. A kid in my class, the son of a wealthy gun nut and avid hunter, came to class dressed in a cowboy outfit with a REAL single action on his hip and a bucket of .45 colt shells. He was supposed to be John Wayne. I think some people flipped, this was like 1988, I thought it was pretty cool. I brought a functional crossbow to compliment my foppish Rennaissance outfit but no one seemed to mind.
Old October 18, 2000, 07:35 AM   #4
David Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Hill:
Realistic or not - you should be able to tell if its real.. Toy guns dont have rifling.[/quote]

AS IF! I'm really going to look down the barrel to find out. Yeah. Suuuuuuuure.
Old October 19, 2000, 06:33 PM   #5
Cyblade

Mr. Hill I have an Airsoft Berreta that is sooooo realistic that if you look at the end of the barrel you cant tell the diffrence between it and my Taurus 9mm, if the person holding it acts like its real it just might be and remember stores have been robber with pellet guns that look close enough to real always take such things as possible threats and you will be better off.
Old October 20, 2000, 09:46 AM   #6
Lance Gothic

We prefer to contribute to area malls which sponsor "Goblin Gatherings" et al. Otherwise we've found that getting to know your neighbors and incorporating a neighborhood watch during this holiday has also helped. Part of this is getting everyone to light up. Basic security thinking is the key here. The well lit areas, (Nationally, T-or-Ter's go out during daylight hours much more then in the past.), provide comfort to the fearful and areas to avoid for those who should be afraid of recognition.
It's like auto insurance; i.e. it takes a little effort to provide for hopefully unnecessary events.