The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 6, 2017, 01:13 PM   #51
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman
Quote:
... and if you are in that situation you will have to shoot to prevent such injury or death.
It's not clear what you are trying to say.
I think it's clear what he's trying to say but, respectfully, I think he's wrong. If drawing the gun -- or even uncovering the gun and laying your hand on it while still holstered, which would also constitute the use of deadly force in many jurisdictions -- is enough to terminate the threat, then obviously you DON'T have to shoot to prevent injury or death.

The gun forums and the [print] gun magazines are full of reports of incidents in which just showing a gun resulted in the bad guys having a sudden change of heart. With so many such incidents documented -- and all apparently with the person who drew or displayed the gun having managed to avoid being arrested for felony aggravated assault -- it's difficult to understand why Minorcan insists that one MUST shoot if one draws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan
The other part of this is you are taking my statement that if I draw I must shoot as meaning there is a law that says if a person draws then they must shoot. That is not what I said or meant.
But that is exactly what you said, in post number 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan
In Florida brandishing a firearm can be agravated assault with a deadly weapon is a felony and has a minimum three year sentence. Don't draw unless you have to which translates to must shoot. I said that if I draw I must and will shoot. Many thought I was an idiot . In fact many locals have similar laws.
I don't know what you think you meant, I can only go by what you wrote, and this is what you wrote. I asked you to cite even one jurisdiction that actually has a law saying that, and so far you haven't responded with a citation.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; May 6, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 6, 2017, 01:26 PM   #52
K_Mac

I've read through this thread a couple of times. Many very knowledgeable folks have carefully detailed the reasons why drawing a gun to stop a potentially deadly attack, and actually firing it are two separate actions. While I understand that speed and accuracy are critical in most defensive shootings, the most important element is good judgement. I agree with Don P that anyone who thinks that because the gun is drawn it must be used should not carry one.