The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 8, 2000, 08:07 AM   #1
Turk

Any members use the Barnes X bullets to hunt deer,elk etc. Your thoughts please.

Turk
Old July 8, 2000, 08:47 AM   #2
REDMISTMD

I've tried them on both and they seem to preform very well.I shot one deer with a 150 x bullet at about 100yds and it put it down with one shot to the vitals.What was weird is that it acted like a ballistic tip because it turned the chest cavity into one big bowl of jelly.I've only seen a ballictic tip do that.I was impressed that it hit a rib and didnt come apart. The bullets are made not to far from where I live and I went and toured the factory its a pretty neat little operation. I also shoot the 85XLC bullets in my 6-284 I use it for deer and antelope. I haven't taken anything with taht yet but the accuracy is pretty good.I also have several friend who swear by the Barnes X bullet.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:32 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Got the hunting jones & checkin' up on some past posts ....

I use the Barnes XBT .30 cal, 165 gr in .308 Win & .309 JDJ. Both right at (only) 2400 fps.

Shot one spike elk (about 350+ lbs) that a member of my hunting party wounded. After a lengthy trailing, I jumped him at about 15 yds & since he was about to drop over into a canyon (& already lung-shot too boot) I took the only shot I had - right through the right ham. Broke throught the pelvis, richo'd off of & broke two ribs & exited through the sternum - complete penetration. He dropped on the spot.

Three-by mulie (about 130 lbs) broadside at about 35 yds. Just a tad high through both lungs. Complete penetration. Deer hunched up & ran. Tracked immediately (after a smoke) - found dead about 100 yds away.

The deer would've been DOA with anything .243 on up w/most any bullet. Just didn't matter for that shot, but the penetration on the elk was amazing. 15 yards, sure, but 5 FEET of elk & that after breaking through the pelvis ... I'm sold.

BTW, no bullet particles, etc. along wound channel which indicated any bullet separation whatsoever ...

I only use the Barnes for these two shooters (oh, & The Wife's 7-08) soley because of the somewhat "lower than standard velocity." Pricey bullets.
Old July 10, 2001, 01:04 PM   #4
Keith Rogan

I haven't used them in several years but I think they're great - I'm shooting a .35 now and last time I looked they don't offer much in that caliber.
One detail that most people overlook is that since they're lighter than a traditional lead core bullet, they are long for their weight. In effect, you get a longer bearing surface and better aerodynamics - it's almost like you get to shoot a heavier bullet without any loss of velocity.
Sometimes there really is a free lunch!
Old July 10, 2001, 07:39 PM   #5
Cris

Recenlty purchased a box of 120's for a long range deer round in my 7mag. I have read they have a tendency to foul a barrel, so my plan is to moly coat.
Old July 10, 2001, 08:58 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Chris - check the reloading book for the optimum seating depth. These bullets like a big (0.10) jump into the rifiling. Some of the sub .338 rifles like them, some don't. I had one that hated them (.30-06) and two that loved them.

Giz
Old July 10, 2001, 09:13 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Part of that "free lunch" is a better BC (as mentioned) but a downside is since they are longer for any given weight (relative to lead-core bullets), for the heavier bullets, you may require a faster twist to stabilize 'em properly.

100 yds is fine for most load devlopment but it's always a good idea to shoot a few at longer ranges to make sure things are staying put ....
Old July 11, 2001, 07:53 PM   #8
Dan Morris

Use the Barnes,,,moly....in a .338. The gun absolutely loves them.
While pricey, expansion has been a dream!
Dan
Old July 11, 2001, 08:28 PM   #9
biganimal

I shoot a 338/06 and reload useing only barnes bullets . it and they perform well on paper, I finally shot a whitetail with it last season and expansion was ideal .the buck walked 9 yards then folded up in a heap, heart lung shot at approx 95 yds