The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

Forearm Warping On A Beautiful Stock, Can I Save It ???

I have a beautiful stock on a pre 1964 Model 70 that I had the action bedded on and the barrel free floated some many years ago . Now the forearm has pulled to one side enough that the wood will contact the barrel and cause lateral shot stringing. There isnt much extra wood to allow me to sand it out and would definitely sour the looks of the fine old rifle . Somewhere I seem to remember having read about something like this where they applied wedges (wooden I would presume) to use the barrel to apply some pressure in the direction they wanted the stock to go and then slowly steamed the affected area and allowed it to dry slowly over ??? days or weeks to straighten it . Is anyone out there savvy to this or would it create more of a problem ?
Old October 24, 2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

Stock

Sir;
Yes, I believe steaming will cause a problem. But, if there is enough room for some wedges try that over time!
I had one do the exact same thing and using all the tricks I never really corrected the problem.
I think that once wood warps (releases its natural strains) there is just no way to correct it. Over time maybe weighting it might help but I think it's just a futile effort. I know how you feel.
Hal Hartely, builder of fine tiger tail maple stocks, using heat really never changed the natural strains in wood.
Now, with steel it's different - by heating one side ( not a pressure bearing part) it can be changed significantly.
Harry B.