The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Gary Wells

Anybody on here use Penn bullets?

Anybody on here use Penn Bullets as a source for lead bullets? With Matt Dardas closed up, I'm looking for a new source for lead bullets. I'm partial to 185 gr. H&G#130 "button bullet" but there's not too many sources for that bullet profile anymore (Mastercast, Missouri". I do not need the accuracy that you guys need for 25 yd & 50 yd B/E shooting but I do appreciate a quality made bullet. I am considering the 180 gr LSWC by Penn. The "home of the silver bullet" people are priced way out of my range. Any & all info appreciated. I reload with 3.5 grs of B/E & shoot indoors no farther than 50 ft.
Old September 16, 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
noylj

Penn casts excellent bullets. Never had an issue with them. He is very good about sizing bullets to your dimensions or, in my case, not sizing or lubing them at all (I have found unsized bullets to be a bit more accurate).
I am, however, partial to mastercastbullets.com
Old September 16, 2018, 08:54 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

Penn makes excellent bullets, but my favorite supplier is www.Mastercast.net

They make great bullets at fantastic prices
Old September 17, 2018, 08:01 AM   #4
RKG

I have had great results with Penn bullets: beautifully cast, carefully lubed, no joint lines, very flexible as to shape, weight and diameter. I've not noticed that they were materially more expensive than others. The only downside is that Penn casts in batches, so your order may be shipped tomorrow or in six weeks -- no problem if you keep track of your inventory and order in advance of need.
Old September 17, 2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Real Gun

I am a regular customer. He has some bullet profiles I don't find anywhere else.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:32 AM   #6
RC20

I have his semi cone in 9 mm.

As noted, quality is good and pushed to over 1000 fps no leading.

The lube smokes a bit. I wouldn't want to shoot them in an indoor range. The lube is synthetic so does not leave a bad mess to clean up.

Only issue was the seating depth did not work out (case end fell into a lube grove) and he did not answer why it would do so and why he had those dimensions when it would not work.
Old September 17, 2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Real Gun

http://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html

This bullet is supposed to have a short ogive. You seat to the bullet, not the theoretical COL.
Old September 17, 2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Gary, what caliber are you asking about?

I have used Penn bullets. I do like how they will size them per order. I use their 185 grain DEWC for 44 Special. It's a good bullet.

I don't shoot a lot of 44 these days (arthritic hands and elbows), but the last time I purchased these 185 DEWC's, they came coated. I don't like coated bullets. I called them and asked why they shipped me coated bullets, and their response was basically: "No extra charge. You're welcome." I left it alone. But next order (could be awhile as mentioned, I don't shoot 44 much) I will specify non-coated.
Old September 20, 2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Dano4734

Superb bullets only ones I buy for my casull and for my 45-70 rifle. Bam flop on my moose. The 340 grain casull is what I use for bear protection and I would bet my life on it in my gun.
Old September 20, 2018, 02:15 PM   #10
std7mag

I haven't tried them yet, but i guess i really should seeing as to how i live in PA...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 20, 2018, 07:25 PM   #11
RC20

Quote:
The 340 grain casull is what I use for bear protection and I would bet my life on it in my gun.
I go with bear spray myself.
Old September 20, 2018, 11:52 PM   #12
Dano4734

Rc I carry both
Old September 22, 2018, 11:27 AM   #13
Gary Wells

Previously posted ny Nick C S
Gary, what caliber are you asking about?
I have used Penn bullets. I do like how they will size them per order. I use their 185 grain DEWC for 44 Special. It's a good bullet.
I don't shoot a lot of 44 these days (arthritic hands and elbows), but the last time I purchased these 185 DEWC's, they came coated. I don't like coated bullets. I called them and asked why they shipped me coated bullets, and their response was basically: "No extra charge. You're welcome." I left it alone. But next order (could be awhile as mentioned, I don't shoot 44 much) I will specify non-coated.

Oops. my bad, Nick. I missed addressing your post.
I shoot & reload for .45 auto only. I've decided to go with the 185 gr Saeco #66 from , Donnie at Brothers Enterprises, or the 185 gr # 801 from Magnus, or the 185 gr H&G#130 from Mike at Mastercast.com. Many thanks for your response.