The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 2, 2018, 12:09 PM   #51
tipoc

Quote:
While I take no issue with your overall statement, it's not really true that 9mm has ruled for a century. 9mm really came into wider use with the transition from revolvers to semi-autos as the primary police and self defensive weapon of choice.
True statement but it's true only for the U.S. In the U.S. no manufacturer made a gun in 9mm till 1948 and that was when Colt introduced the Commander. This was followed a few years later by S&W which chamber the M39 in 9mm as it's first outing producing a semi in a service caliber for military and police work.

But in Europe, and a good portion of the rest of the world, excepting the Eastern bloc, the 9mm had come to dominate military handguns and sub machine gun rounds, before the beginning of the Second World War. There was no widespread legacy of revolver use in law enforcement there. Though most law enforcement rounds were less powerful than the 9mm the semi auto pistol dominated in Europe long before the U.S.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.

Last edited by tipoc; September 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old September 2, 2018, 06:41 PM   #52
Cosmodragoon

I might have been a bit early on my 9mm assumption here in the States. Still though, it's been at or near the top for a very long time and recent changes suggest that it will stay there for quite a while.

Another funny thing about Europe is the popularity of .32 acp (7.65) over the years. It was still seeing police issue in places up through the 1980s!
Old September 5, 2018, 02:47 PM   #53
Model12Win

Those departments using it report devastating stopping power against assailants. It also has a peerless rep for use against dangerous canines.

It is, IMHO, tremendously better than any 9mm load and kicks the .40's booty as well. Not until you get up into the "Big 10" 10mm AUTO round is their a match in a handheld semi-auto double-stack pistol. It is a titanically potent and effective lawman's pistol.
Old September 5, 2018, 03:43 PM   #54
AK103K

I think if that were truly the case, they'd all be using it. Very few do.

Maybe its a conspiracy!
Old September 5, 2018, 05:57 PM   #55
Bottom Gun

I wonder how many "experts" posting negative comments about the .357 Sig have actually used one?

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 5, 2018, 06:46 PM   #56
AK103K

Ive wondered the same thing about those who are so emotional about it.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:17 PM   #57
Bottom Gun

I confess to being emotional about it because I love the .357 Sig cartridge. I take it with me almost everywhere I go, I load special ammo for it and I even sleep with it.
It’s the real thing this time.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:31 PM   #58
AK103K

Yea, I know "this time" very well. Sometimes the honeymoon is over sooner than later.

If you like it, great. I wouldn't turn it down or be depressed if it were handed to me and all I had. Id be a lot happier these days though, if someone else were paying for the ammo.
Old September 6, 2018, 12:53 AM   #59
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I think if that were truly the case, they'd all be using it.
Back when law enforcement used revolvers, how many carried .357 magnum (or any other magnum) and how many carried .38 special given the choice?

It doesn't matter how good it is or how well it performs if enough other factors are stacked against it. If it's louder, kicks harder, costs more, has less options or accessories or other things you can do with it; or it was released not too long after another hot new round had gained market share and there isn't resounding market faith in the round or consumer faith that it will be worth investing in whatever new caliber... Institutions or individuals might not choose it.

It's a bit like the difference between VHS and Betamax. Betamax offered better quality but good luck finding that new blockbuster down at the rental place...
Old September 7, 2018, 10:09 PM   #60
Nanuk

Quote:
It doesn't matter how good it is or how well it performs if enough other factors are stacked against it. If it's louder, kicks harder, costs more, has less options or accessories or other things you can do with it; or it was released not too long after another hot new round had gained market share and there isn't resounding market faith in the round or consumer faith that it will be worth investing in whatever new caliber... Institutions or individuals might not choose it.

It's a bit like the difference between VHS and Betamax. Betamax offered better quality but good luck finding that new blockbuster down at the rental place...
The 357 magnum has been around since 1935. I started carrying one as a duty gun in 1982 and never had any trouble finding ammo or accessories. Most of the cops i knew and worked around carried magnums not 38 specials.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.