The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2017, 04:22 AM   #1
Beagle333

My newest cast bullet slinger

I picked up this Uberti sixgun today. It's an estate sale gun that apparently had been stored in a holster and it was a while after the old gentleman passed that the family decided to get the gun collection out and sell it and by then this one had been wrapped in leather just a little too long. But it's just a lot of speckling. The function is still perfect. I like it though, as I'm planning to strip it on down and make it into sort of a longer .44 version of the Rooster Shooter, with an all natural-aged color to it. Anyway, I needed a .44 since Mom laid claim to my only other one about a year ago and hasn't let it off of her kitchen table since! (She keeps her favorite gun on the table, handy for whatever she sees out in the field or coming out of the woods.)
So.... now I have this one. It isn't quite a Bisley Super Blackhawk like I had, but I'm thinking it'll do just fine for shooting cowboy style cast bullets.

Yeah..... it's a little rough right now.... but with some steel wool and maybe some vinegar, she'll brighten right up! I'm pretty excited about it.

Currently, the only ones I have cast up are a 260gr WFN that I had milled down from a Lee 310gr 6 banger mold. But it makes a heckuva 260 grainer.

and some of the NOE 429-421 HP

Those should do quite well for getting me going in the .44 magnum shooting world.

I do have, somewhere around here, the NOE Keith 432-429 and a MiHec Terminator HP mold. I can't recall casting with either one, so I'll have to dig those up and see if I can't get out to the shed and maybe make a few.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 13, 2017, 04:39 AM   #2
Old Stony

Looks like a fun project getting it to looking like you want it to...and working up loads.
Old December 14, 2017, 07:42 PM   #3
gwpercle

Sweet ! Looks Nice freckles and all.

I had a model 58 S&W that had bad case of freckling like yours, I thought it was hopeless. The back strap was freckled the worst, cylinder , frame and barrel all had the freckles .
Spotting a can of Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover in the garage , the "rust remover " part motivated me to try it on the 58's freckled finish.
It worked....it's not a "perfect finish" but the stuff removed all the freckles without removing the bluing that was left. It has a very mild fine polishing compound in it, slowly working over a small area with a cloth pad, follow the directions, when removing rust the pad turns reddish brown, when the rust is removed the pad comes grey, move on to another area. I went over all the areas twice before removing all the rust.
Large rust spots / pits will still be there but the brown rust will be removed. The back strap came out a dark gray color, not the factory blue but no freckles . It took the most elbow grease to get cleaned. A cleaning and wax job completed the job...looked good enough for a shooter to me !
Those NOE's look wicked...can we say "mega hollow point"!
Al makes some nice moulds.
Gary
Old December 15, 2017, 08:47 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

DO NOT use vinegar, it will remove the bluing and the case colors. Use OOOO steel wool,
it's like cotton it is so fine. The best is bronze wool if you can find it, use a light oil with the wool and the gun should clean up looking very good.

On the frame is a date code in a small box, usually roman numerals, that code will tell the year of manufacture. Look under the Beretta shotgun forum at Shotgun World, they have the date code listing.
Old December 16, 2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Old 454

Sho is pretty.. very nice indead.... i love estate sales
Old December 23, 2017, 01:15 AM   #6
Beagle333

And after a good hard buffing with some bronze wool and oil, here she is..... Not bad for a truck gun!

And before, just for comparison. I'll keep on buffing it when I'm sitting around watching football and get if really slick.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:58 AM   #7
zipspyder

Nice find. Should have lots of fun with those cowboy loads!