The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2018, 10:41 PM   #1
jokayhn

Questions concerning history of a M1903-A3 recent purchase

Im hoping this is the right place to post this as I found at least one other 1903 question here.

Questions embedded here are

Pictures here https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Fi97qmZdWB9RnPy9

1) is a price of $800 generally okay?
2) Replacement adjuster cap for M82 scope availability?
3) Would this rifle have been used to win President's 100?
4) Am I generally right about what it is?

One of my dads friends recently died. He said he won the President's 100 with an M1903-A3 and I had the opportunity to buy it. I paid $800 and at that time suspected it was a modified A3 with loss of value due to drilling for scope mount. I'm primarily interested in a long distance shooter and not for collector purposes but I still want to know what it is/if I'm right. My conclusion is its a post WWII competitive shooters rebuild from a Greek return rifle.

Anyway, the gist is it has a serial number of 4146765 (Dec 1943) but a barrel date of 6-39. From what Ive read thats bad for there to be that much difference. Earlier barrel is better than later though? Bore is clean, no pitting.

It has a scope like an A4 but its clearly a special build because its not an A4 serial and the receiver and barrel are too out of date. Thats how Im reading what I've found. Now it fires great and he, apparently, had great success with it. I cannot confirm he won the award (cannot find an online search for past winners) and cant say if he won it with this rifle just that its the info passed along to my dad before his death.

I've already bought it and have no regrets but my question in general is what to make of it. If I ever sell it what should I say about it and am I right? Also I see that the value of the M82 scope may be more than the rifle itself, though there may be caveats to it, making up for a drop in value because the receiver was drilled to accomodate the scope mount. Scope works fine, doesn't look new and seems to have an appropriate patina. May have lost an adjuster cap when I zeroed it, still looking. Anyone know of a place to get a replacement if I dont find it?

One other thing as I came across a thread talking about CMP rules for sanctioned matches, which I assume to have been used to get the PResident's 100 would require, there are ruleas to what kind of rifle may be used. Must ba "as issued by US Armed Forces with standard stock and leather web sling" (this hrtead http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=41137.0). Is this rifle something that would deviate from those rules? I care in that there is a personal story to this rifle I would like to adhere to (even if it doesnt matter much). I dont know when he competed, he just died and I would say he was in his 70s. Maybe rules were different back then?

Here are some pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Fi97qmZdWB9RnPy9

Fires great, so far not that Im an expert with it or will ever truly challenge it, but we'll see. Initially zeroed on a short range and really tight groups. Just a problem with loading the last cartridge. I have a new magazine spring on order.

Stock looks great and is solid. B on bottom of stock forward and a P on the grip (dont see a circle). A A z? on the left side of the stock above trigger. The number 3 stamped (and potentially something in front of it) on top right side of stock behind bolt. I take it this stamp along with B on bottom means Greek return.

Stock info
https://sites.google.com/site/wwii19.../stock-example

Greek return info
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=62377
Old September 9, 2018, 10:00 AM   #2
RC20

You have a gun with some history, so what that means to you value wise is a toss up only you can answer.

What you seem to have is an A3 that was modified into a look alike (sometimes known as FAUX though with some serious value).

I don't see the signature elements of an A4.

I doubt its a Greek return, date it was built up in is wrong and the finish does not look like one of the Greek rifles.

A quick answer is $800 is too much for a run of the mill modified A3.

A well done FAUX A4 though can go for $1500 - $2500. That gets into the right receiver and barrel though I don't think they have to match up.

CMP has a lot of good info and experts in that area.

I believe yours is correct enough to use in matches.

That said, as long as competed as they are for their era ala Vintage matches , they are fine guns.

THey are not true long distance rifles, scopes are not what is needed power wise and the optic are not that great (reticles as well)

Yours depends on the barrel. It seems to have done well.

Keep in mind heavy use 5-8,000 rounds, will eat out the throat.

It might be worth your while to get a Steven Mathews Throat Erosion and Muzzle wear gauge combo. Not that I think this gun is shot out but it will tell you how its going (carefully bullet seating checks can do that as well).

Last edited by RC20; September 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old September 9, 2018, 05:06 PM   #3
kraigwy

What you have is a FAUX M1903A4. Not eligible for Presidents 100 but is legal for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches (fired at 300 & 600 yards).

It looks like its in pretty good shape from the pictures and worth the $800. I wouldnt fool with it until you find out how it shoots.

Then shoot some Vintage Sniper Matches.

Load up some Hornady 168 A-Max and 46.5 gr of 4064, and see how it shoots at 300 yards, come up 10 inches and try it at 600.

Heck even take it hunting. Load up some 180 Gr Hornady IBs, it would be great for elk up to 600 yards depending on the shooter. The Scope should be 2.5X, that will work on deer/elk size animals.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 9, 2018, 05:51 PM   #4
jokayhn

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info
Old September 9, 2018, 07:16 PM   #5
RC20

S'all right. Looks like a nice pick up.

Long term (if it comes to it) it can be barrelled as Criterion makes replacement 1903 barrels.

Criterion makes some seriously good quality button rifled barrels, from what I gather up there with Shilen for quality.

I don't have one but its on the radar for the next one (I build guns off Savage actions)

Tags
m1903-a3