The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 24, 2017, 08:00 AM   #1
noelf2

1851 finish

Does anyone know if the barrel finish/bluing on the plain Pietta brassers is up to par with the Pietta "yank" models?

I have two Pietta 1851 "yank" revolvers. One is a snub nose (factory barrel), and the other is a pepperbox. The pepperbox, without any tuning from my end, has a perfect trigger pull, no creep, crisp break, just remarkable for a factory Pietta. That would be great if the pepperbox was a gun you could aim.
The snubby, on the other hand, is in perfect time but has some trigger creep. Not unusual. So, instead of trying to mod the snubby, I swapped all internals from the two guns (except the bolt). I guess I'm lucky because the perfect trigger is now a feature of the snubby, and the pepperbox is perfectly adequate for what it is.
Now I'm looking for a new sheriff barrel for the 1851 snubby. I figure I'll wait for a "good" sale on a Cabela's 1851, the cheapest usually being the brassers. Before making the Cabela's decision, I checked barrels at VTI gun parts, Taylors, Numrich, and even ebay. Ebay is the only place where I can get barrels for less than $125, and they are used/questionable condition. If I get a Cabela's gun, I'll have the barrel and a bunch of spare parts for not much more $$.
Old July 24, 2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Hawg

I've got a 2015 G&G and the bluing is just as good as my 51.
Old July 25, 2017, 08:04 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

The blueing should be consistent with all of them. Same manufacturer - same process.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 26, 2017, 11:40 AM   #4
noelf2

Quote:
The blueing should be consistent with all of them. Same manufacturer - same process.
That's what I'm thinking, but the "yank" models have case colors on the frame and such, and cost more. So wasn't sure if the higher prices is because of better quality finish.
Old July 26, 2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Hawg

All the navies except for the brass ones have case colors and even the brass ones have case colors on the hammer and lever.
Old July 26, 2017, 09:40 PM   #6
drobs

Not the gun you specifically are looking for but here are ietta's from the last 3 years:

2015 CN - Pietta 1860 (top)

2016 CP "Confederate Navy" Sheriff

2017 CS 1858 Sheriff

And my conglomeration gun that has a laser engraved 1860 frame. Can't see the proof stamp right now.
Old July 27, 2017, 08:34 AM   #7
noelf2

drobs thanks for the pictures. The brass sheriff's barrel looks good indeed. Now the sales at Cabela's have stopped, go figure!