The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 10, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Hiker 1

Anti-gun politicians recalled in Colorado!

Morse concedes! http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...ader-recalled/
Old September 10, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
RodTheWrench

Looks like Giron is headed that way too! This is a game-changer for the 2014 elections folks!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...sults/2796373/
Old September 11, 2013, 12:00 AM   #3
iraiam

Yep, they both got fired, let freedom ring! This is only the beginning of our fight to take back OUR rights here in Colorado.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 11, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Prometheus

It's official, 100% reporting both are out!

Colorado recall successful, let this be a warning to tyrants everywhere
Old September 11, 2013, 12:09 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
This is only the beginning of our fight to take back OUR rights here in Colorado.
Very apt observation.

Now is the time to let CO state representatives know that this wasn't just about replacing two of their number, it was done with the goal of rescinding the laws that precipated the recall.

Let the letter writing/calling/emailing begin. The real work is still to be done.
Old September 11, 2013, 12:21 AM   #6
BarryLee

Congratulations to the good people of Colorado, but a word of caution. The victory should be about freedom and not framed as a left v. right political type of thing. We need to encourage freedom loving Democrats as well as Republicans to understand the importance of protecting the Second Amendment.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 11, 2013, 12:44 AM   #7
iraiam

Quote:
Congratulations to the good people of Colorado, but a word of caution. The victory should be about freedom and not framed as a left v. right political type of thing. We need to encourage freedom loving Democrats as well as Republicans to understand the importance of protecting the Second Amendment.
It largely was about freedom, for example, 20% of the signatures to get a recall election against Angela Giron came from registered Democrats, Also her district has a considerable amount more Democrats than Republicans, she lost nearly 60/40, this was an irrefutable bipartisan rejection. People here are quite angry about these laws.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 11, 2013, 01:32 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Philosophically, this is big. This marks the first time sitting politicians have lost their jobs over gun control.

Some folks will point to 1994, but it could be argued that congressional seats were lost due to any number of factors. This is different: Morse and Giron lost directly because of gun control.

I hope this gets the ball rolling in Maryland, New York, and California.
Old September 11, 2013, 02:07 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I'm one of those who knows the 94 elections tossed out a bunch of them because of gun control. You can argue anything you want, but I heard them say it themselves. They lost their seats because of their support for gun control. It wasn't the "Contract with America" or anything else it was the fact that they passed a big gun control law just a few months before an election.

We were mad, and not enough time had passed for all of us to go back to sleep. And we VOTED in numbers.

But you are right Tom, this is different. And possibly huge. This was a RECALL. The people of Colorado didn't just wait for the next election and then not rehire those politicians, they FIRED them!

Bravo!
Old September 11, 2013, 04:43 AM   #10
steveno

hopefully there will be some good replacements.
Old September 11, 2013, 05:20 AM   #11
leprechaun50

Congratulations Colorado.
Old September 11, 2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"They lost their seats because of their support for gun control."

All the while ignoring the fact that most of them had also voted for the largest tax increase in US history to that point, which had also caused an unbelievable amount of angst with voters.

The reason they focused on the gun issue as the reason for their losses is because that was an easily drawn, and extremely polarizing, line. The tax issue wasn't nearly as sexy when it came to sound bites and blame laying.

Hard to make a boogeyman out of a single working mother with two kids who voted because her taxes went up, but VERY easy to make a boogeyman out of the country-fried hick redneck gunowner...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 11, 2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Denver Post is showing that Giron lost quite badly, but the vote to oust Morse was pretty close, close enough that he could probably call for a recount.

Old September 11, 2013, 06:54 AM   #14
bikerbill

The real issue there, I think, is similar to one we will face in Texas down the road; huge blocks of liberal voters drawn from crumbling states like California to better lives in states where the economy is strong because of conservative government. Unfortunately, they refuse to leave their liberal points of view behind and join the fans of low-tax, low-spending politics. Instead, they force the things that wrecked their own states on their new homes. Settling near big cities for the jobs, they overwhelm rural, conservative residents and slowly turn their new homes blue. Austin is already gone, and Dallas and Houston are also strongly liberal. Those of us in small towns see that drift and cheer for our brothers and sisters in Colorado who showed that it can be done.

The vote is perhaps the most significant for gun rights since the Supreme Court voted on Heller. Bloomberg and the other wealthy gun-haters who poured tons of money into the campaign won't be detered from doing it again, because they don't care how voters in Colorado or Texas feel, they only care about how THEY feel. Nothing better this morning than picturing a roasted crow on Bloomberg's breakfast plate.

And Mike, I think Morse conceded the election. Tho it may have been close, I'm guessing there will be no calls for recount.
Old September 11, 2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Cnon

Congratulations Colorado

Congratulations Colorado.

Cnon
Old September 11, 2013, 07:04 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I love these quotes...

Mark Glaze, executive director of the group Bloomberg formed, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, said Tuesday that the NRA no longer has the field to itself in the ballot over gun laws.

"Win, lose or draw, this will send a message to legislators who take risks to protect their community. We will have their back, and eventually, the tide will turn," Glaze said.

Heard that 30 years ago from Handgun Control, Inc.

Heard that 20 years ago from Brady Campaign.

Heard that 10 years ago from Million Moms.

Where are those groups these days?

Old September 11, 2013, 07:23 AM   #17
Hiker 1

2nd anti-gun politican bites the dust in Co!

More good news! http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ver-gun-votes/
Old September 11, 2013, 07:27 AM   #18
SPEMack618

Tam pointed out on her blog how CNN was all about the election on Sunday and Monday morning, but now has nary a story, except a small head line on thier website. It was good for a Tuesday morning chuckle. And I love the spending comparisons between the NRA and Bloomberg, compared to who one.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Bartholomew Roberts

I noticed that as well - several articles report that Bloomberg spent $350k and the NRA spent $500k - making it sound as if the NRA just bought the result they wanted.

They don't mention the anti-recall forces outspending the pro-recall guys 6-1, nor do they mention the other billionaire gun control supporters kicking in $250k at a time, the registering college students to vote the same day or any of the numerous dirty tricks they tried to use to avoid the wrath of their constituents.

Sadly much of the media these days is as reliable as Pravda - you learn more from what they don't say than from what they do say.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:57 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm kicking tires on the Denver Post's discussion forums.

The Post, of course, is all sour grapes and crocodile tears, and the majority of the posters are just chewing them a new one.

One anti-recall guy was screaming about how an outside group (NRA) bought the election, and a pro-recall guy anchored him with a comment (paraphrasing)..

"There are over 100,000 NRA members in Colorado, Tom. How many members of Mike Bloomberg's group live in Colorado?"

Old September 11, 2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Kimio

Good news all around though

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 11, 2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Threads merged
Old September 11, 2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Louca

What a great example and motivation to the other states! Good job CO! I hope Limbaugh, Hannity, Fox News, and a few others report this. Otherwise it will never get mentioned in the news.
Old September 11, 2013, 08:19 AM   #23
motorhead0922

Congrats, Colorado!

Quote:
hopefully there will be some good replacements.
From Washington Times:
Quote:
The ousted Democrats will be replaced by Republicans who also appeared on the recall ballots. Former Colorado Springs city councilman Bernie Herpin will succeed Mr. Morse, while retired deputy Pueblo police chief George Rivera takes over the Giron seat.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2eac0HrVj
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
I didn't find anything on Bernie Herpin's 2A position.

George Rivera's website expresses his support for 2A.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old September 11, 2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

Morse may have conceded the recall, but this doesn't sound like a guy who's done playing the game:
Quote:
In an emotional concession speech, Mr. Morse called the loss of his seat “purely symbolic” and defended the record of the last legislative session as “phenomenal.”

“We made Colorado safer from gun violence,” he said afterward, as his supporters trickled away from a hotel ballroom here in his district. “If it cost me my political career, that’s a small price to pay.”
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/us...-law.html?_r=0

With that said, CONGRATULATIONS, COLORADO!

While I must admit to having been somewhat absent from the political arena following the 1994 gun control stuff, I do think this is different, for exactly the reason that 44 AMP posted: This wasn't just "not re-electing" the politicians, this was firing them!
Old September 11, 2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

This is such good news that I'm loathe to close it as a drive-by. Instead, I'll merge the two threads.