The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1
spleify

Whats you COAL on your .45 ACP

Hello all, I am just curious to see what COAL folks are using for there .45 ACP.

Here's my reason for asking. I have been handloading for about a decade, and for the last few years I have been buying by projectiles from Xtreme. Great quality plinkers and nicely priced. I have been making my loads to a COAL of 1.270 been working great in a number of handguns. I purchased a ne M&P 45 took it out for the first time last weekend. Tried loading a mag and shooting it. Gun wouldnt go into full battery. I was baffled and disappointed in my new weapon. I checked an older box of ammo I had and realized that the bullet profile was different from the old ammo to the newly loaded stuff. I contacted Xtreme and they confirmed that they changed the profile of there .45's.

I re-checked head spacing on my next batch, and the COAL that worked for the new profile was 1.230. thats .040 difference from the old ones. They fired great and I am happy with the accuracy of them.

So, just curious to see where others are making theres.

Thanks
Like us on Facebook
Old July 4, 2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've run them anywhere from 1.16 for some broader flat tip bullets to almost 1.300" for one gun with a long throat. As you discovered, what is needed varies with bullet shape. The only thing to watch out for is seating depth.

Seating Depth = case length (use .898" for .45 ACP) + Bullet Length - COL.

Seating depth affects pressure by changing the amount of space the powder starts burning it, so work loads back up if you seat bullets deeper.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 4, 2010, 04:47 PM   #3
grubbylabs

All of my HP's get set at 1.200 because of the flat nose and the RN's get set at 1.260. I have not tried them but I have been told by several people not to try the Wad cutters or semi wad cutters in my XD, they don't feed well. So I have just used the RN and the HP and have not had any issues that I did not create. But I am new to re-loading and may not have a clue as to what I am talking about.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 4, 2010, 05:02 PM   #4
zippy13

1.210 with home cast from LEE mold 452-200-SWC
Old July 4, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
spleify

Ok, very good guys, thanks.

I was just worried about them being to short and I might have an issue with pressure differences.

I should have also mentioned that they are 230gr RN.

At 1.230 they headspaced very nicely and the 50 I loaded shot great in both my .45's
Like us on Facebook