The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 7, 2009, 04:09 PM   #1
dragunov

best for the buck scope?

i want a scope to hunt and target shoot with. 40mm objective 1inch or 30mm tube. want target style windage and elevation turrets,scope must pass the box test, money is an object but let's stick with the best for the buck theme so you tell me your favorite suggestion. 300 win mag
Old October 9, 2009, 06:03 AM   #2
PDXGS

Super Sniper
Cheap, rugged, accurate
Old October 9, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
jfrey

Any scope with the name Leupold on it is always the best bang for the buck.
Old October 9, 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
matt_3479

Good for the money
with great optics is going to be the Bushnell 3200, 4200, or the 6500
Or one of my favorites is the Nikon Monarch
Old October 9, 2009, 02:28 PM   #5
fisherman66

For a hunting scope or even informal target type work a Bushnell Banner is solid for under $100. I Ronco my scopes for MPBR, so I don't mess with the box test. I have no idea which scopes track well. I would avoid the Supersniper if you plan to hunt if it's a 10 power. That's WAY too much magnificaton.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:43 PM   #6
williamd

I look for good used K-series Weavers! 2.5 to 4. A 6 or 10 for my target guns. Not much use for a V.
Old October 14, 2009, 12:12 AM   #7
M_E_

When you are getting ready to pull the trigger on a record book elk, you then notice that your "best for the buck" scope is fogged up, you'll wish you never asked this question & bought a Leupold.
Old October 14, 2009, 01:30 AM   #8
sholling

The answers are all over the place because you haven't been specific enough. Bang for the buck for what? What type of bang do you want out of the scope? What's it for? Hunting? What range? Targets? What range? Varmint shooting? At what range? What's your budget? $150? $250? $450? $800? $2000? Figure out what it's for and a budget and then try again.
Old October 22, 2009, 11:06 PM   #9
ronl

I'l second the Super Snipers. Rock solid scope for the money. 10x42 rear focus is $319 at SWFA. I've heard excellent reports about the HD and the variable power SS scopes too. The HD is $799.
Old October 23, 2009, 03:34 PM   #10
General Disarray

Quote:
must pass the box test,
What is the box test? It's mentioned in all the reviews on snipercentral.com, but I have no idea what that is. I even googled it with no sucess. Could someone indulge me in explaining this please.

As far as the OP goes, Sightron scopes are seldom mentioned in these discussion, but the SII series are a great value with super high quality glass, they're shock/water/fog proof, and the company has a bulletproof "Life of the Scope" replacement warranty. I love my 3-9x40 SII, and I got it for $199.
Old November 1, 2009, 12:27 AM   #11
bamafan4life

burris fullfield 2 ill try my best to remember tommarrow to give u a link that will inform u about it.
Old November 1, 2009, 12:59 AM   #12
fastforty

Simmons Whitetail Classic is a pretty good deal @ about $100 if you can deal with 6.5 power being the lowest setting. 20x is great for tight target work.

130 5-star reviews can't be all wrong

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=746570

The Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm is a MidwayUSA exclusive. This rifle scope offers a bright, clear image and is packed with features normally found on scopes costing three times as much.

Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope Features:
# 1/4 MOA windage and elevation adjustments
# Fully multi-coated camera-quality lenses
# Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof
# Lifetime factory warranty
Tube Diameter: 1"
Objective (front) Diameter: 63.5mm (2.50")
Ocular (rear) Diameter: 41.9mm (1.65")

Adjustable Objective: Yes
Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 minute of angle
Eye Relief: 2.8 to 3.7 inches

Field of View at 100 yards:
# 17.9' @ 6.5x
# 6.11' @ 20x

Lens Coating: Multi-coated lenses

Last edited by fastforty; November 1, 2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: info
Old November 1, 2009, 09:05 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

For the money, it is really hard to beat the Bushnell Banner series. I've got one on my 7mm Rem Mag and I'm always amazed at the amount of light it pulls in. It holds zero well and I have zero complaints with it.

Quite a bit more expensive, but the Nikon Monarch is another choice. It's isn't cheap, but when compared to same price Zeiss or Leupold, the Monarch wins hands down.
Old November 5, 2009, 01:49 PM   #14
rdmallory

I have had good luck with Nikon
And I have a Tru-Glow on my .223 and has been great for dogs.

Doug
Old November 5, 2009, 02:34 PM   #15
Scorch

My "best bang for the buck" scope is a Leupold VX-2. Or you can substitute a Bushnell Elite 4200 if you want.

Quote:
What is the box test?
Once your rifle has been sighted in, shoot 3-5 rounds for a group, move the crosshairs 12-15 clicks left, shoot 3-5 rounds for a group, move the crosshairs 12-15 clicks down, shoot 3-5 rounds for group, move the crosshairs 12-15 clicks right, shoot 3-5 rounds for a group, move the crosshairs 12-15 clicks up, shoot 3-5 rounds, your last shots should overlap the first group you fired. BTW, "shooting the box" was invented by Leupold in the 1950s to show how consistent qand repeatable their scope adjustments are (look at a Leupold target), but nowadays almost every serious scope can do it.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:56 PM   #16
riggins_83

Quote:
When you are getting ready to pull the trigger on a record book elk, you then notice that your "best for the buck" scope is fogged up, you'll wish you never asked this question & bought a Leupold.
+1 for that.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:30 PM   #17
arjunki

Ditto on the Super Sniper scopes. Very clear and quality built for the $$$
Old November 5, 2009, 11:41 PM   #18
bcarver

best for the "buck"

The best for the "buck" is one that shoots high and to the right and fogs up all the time.hhahaaaahhh lol.
THERE ARE NO SECRET, WONDERFUL INEXPENSIVE SCOPES.
The cheap ones are cheap. The good ones cost more. The expensive ones are great. The outragous one are a little better than great.

Last edited by bcarver; November 6, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old November 6, 2009, 08:32 AM   #19
Ronbo1

Middle of the road

Weaver V16 4-16X40 low target knobs, $270 to $300 depending where you buy, made in Japan have eight of them.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old November 8, 2009, 02:47 AM   #20
Saguaro Firearms

i would say the nikon monarch is prolly one of the best scope for the money.
its not a sub 200 dollar scope. but like the other guy said, youll be sorry you asked this question if you put a 100 dollar scope on it. it will fail you at the worst time. if you wanna go a little cheaper, i think the nikon buckmasters are okay, but id go with the monarch if you can muster up the extra 200 bucks
Old November 8, 2009, 03:03 AM   #21
Crosshair

Quote:
If that's your standard then don't waste your money on cheap Leupold trash, get a Swarovski scope. A Leupold looks like a Tasco when compared to a Swarovski. It's simply amazing the difference when I got to shoot a gun topped with one. Of course that amazing difference comes with an amazing price tag as well. (Seriously, go see what a Swarovski sells for.)

"Best for the buck" != "cheap" as many here seem to think.

Personalty I like Nikon scopes, but I don't shoot heavy recoiling magnums.
Old November 8, 2009, 07:24 AM   #22
CPTMurdoc30

Weavers, Bushnells Elite 3200, 4200, 6500, Nikon Monarch.

My 308 wears a 6-24x40mm Bushnell and my 223 wears a Nikon 6.5-20x44mm Monarch UCC on it.

My 223 started with a Weaver KT-15 15x40mm which is a good scope. Then I steped up to a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 That was the biggest POS scope I had ever seen. The eye relief move 4 to 5" when changing the power settings. At one end you had to have your cheek behind the cheek pad on the stock and at the other end you had to be so close to the scope it was asking for scope mite even from a 223. the power ring was so hard to move it was not funny gloved hands hurt after going from 6 to 18 or 18 to 6. After 2 season of hunting Ground hogs I dumped it. I called Leupold and said what was going on and they said that is normal. I said that sucks because that scope is JUNK. then I traded it to some poor sucker for the Nikon 6.5-20x44. That was the best move I ever made.

If your going to buy a Leupold stick to the VX-III, VX-3 or above scopes. The VX-II and the rifleman series scopes are nothing more than Baraska scopes with a gold L on them. JUNK all around.

I will stick to my 4200 and monarchs from now on. You guys can pay twice as much for the name if you want.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:13 AM   #23
digisol

The Bushnell elite are a good choice for optics and price, Leupold might be good but are way overpriced, just buy the made in Japan Bushnell versions and not the Chinese ones.