The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2000, 02:51 PM   #1
Fusternc

I started reloading my first batch of 200gr Rainier TMJ Flat points yesterday. My Hornady manuals have been fairly unreliable in the past with load recommendations. Please tell me if this sounds like a reasonable load?

200gr Rainier TMJ flat point
5.9 grains of Unique
CCI Large Pistol primers
cases- mixed head stamps
OAL: 1.235"

According to my Lee reloading paperwork, this should fall a tad below their recommended max start load (6.0), but specifically I'm hoping I got the OAL length right.

I normally load my 230gr FMJ "ball" to an OAL of 1.245", but the literature I have seemed to suggest that 200gr can be used to a shorter minimum overall length. Thanks for any help!

Nathan..

Will see how it does today at the range.

Old February 15, 2000, 03:05 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

That sounds like a good safe load to me, including the OAL. I checked it against the Lyman data for a 200 gr TC. But, IMO, there
is no need to go below the minimum. You may have cycling problems when you do that.

Yes, the OAL should be shorter for a 200 TC vs a 230 FMJ. It's the shape that counts. The resultant case capacity should be relatively equal for both.