The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 18, 2004, 07:34 PM   #1
sleeping dog

Flat-tops legal for Service Rifle?

It looks like Flat-Top AR's with removable carry-handle sights are legal as standard Service Rifles. From the CMP site,

Quote:
6.2.3 U.S. Rifle, Caliber 5.56mm, M16. The rifle must be an M16A2 or M16A4 rifle
Anyone read it different? It looks to me like a relaxation of rules. Not that it would help my shooting, but maybe allow for a more versatile rifle for competition AND varmints.

regards
Old May 20, 2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

That would be nice, and would also make a lot of sense given that many of our current service rifles are flattops.
(running to check this out).
Old May 25, 2004, 04:56 PM   #3
chuckshoun

I suggest you email competitions at CMP ans ask them. I had a question about my Kimber 1911, and they gave me very clear definitions. Also, read the CMP rule book. section 7.0 It may clarify, too. Anyway, my Kimber doesn't qualify for the CMP "Service Pistol" matches, so if I wan to shoot, I have to either replace some parts or get another pistol.
Old July 3, 2004, 09:53 AM   #4
nglitz

YES, just this year

The flat-top version of the M16/AR15 family was recently approved by the CMP, mainly because so many are being issued. Still iron sights on a "carry handle" are required for service rifle matches, either NRA or CMP.

Distinguished in pistol and Revolver
Now hacking around in high power service rifle
Old January 22, 2005, 03:48 AM   #5
Chick

Is the flat top a standard issue service rifle now? If it is, it should be legal. If it isn't, then it should not be legal for Service Rifle Competition. What I would like to see, is a change in the 8rnd and 2rnd rule.
Old January 24, 2005, 09:55 PM   #6
LegendF1

The way I understand it, the Commander of the AMU had a sit down with the CMP, pointing out that recruits qualify with the M16A4 in basic nowadays, and I guess when the COAMU speaks, CMP listens. 3.1.3 should be revised in the latest version of the rule book. Flat tops (20"...no, the M4 still isn't considered a "service rifle") with the removable carry handle are as legal as a service rifle for both NRA matches and CMP LEG matches as an A2 gun.

The flat top would make load development that much easier, but I've read problems about making the A2 sight on the carry handle with enough elevation and repeatablity to reach out to the 600 yard line. There's some kind of problem with pinning the rear sight on the carry handle too, but I've never heard a definitive answer as to why it's such a pain.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:23 AM   #7
Tim R

Hey Chick, Change the 2 and 8 round rule? What would the poor Garand shooters do?
Old January 28, 2005, 07:22 AM   #8
Chick

They can shoot 5 and 5, 2 and 8, or whatever they want. I would rather shoot 5 and 5 like the bolt rifle people do. There are some who say they would shoot 2 and 8 even if the rule changed. As long as you have a reload period in the string, I don't see a reason to make 2 and 8 mandatory.