The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
vffdoug

Powder measure seized up

I have a powder measure that the hand crank is seized up. I have tried soaking the parts in coca cola and I have also soaked them in PB Blaster. It is still seized up.

Any ideas on how to free this item up?
Thanks
Doug

Last edited by vffdoug; April 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old April 16, 2013, 12:22 PM   #2
hooligan1

Jeeze,,, what brand is it, and why pour pop on it? PB Blaster should break loose if it's locked up because of rust. How do you know it isn't jammed up with a parts malfunction? send pics for easy remedy..
Old April 16, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3
wogpotter

Dried sugar from the coke?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 16, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
F. Guffey

vffdoug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a powder measure that the hand crank is seized up. I have tried soaking the parts in coca cola and I have also soaked them in PB Blaster. It is still seized up.

Any ideas on how to free this item up?
Thanks
Doug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have powder measures, some with cranks that operate rotors, I do know what powder measure you have. I have Ohaus powder measures, the Ohaus uses a set screw to hold the rotor in place, nice, the Ohaus is designed for large and small measurements by removing the set screw and rotating the drum/rotor 180 degree. Then there is the Little Dandy, same thing, it uses a set screw.
The Hollywood Gun shop requires the micro adjuster/handle when removing the drum. The RCBS Uniflow requires removal of the adjuster. Then there is the Herter’s family of powder measures, not easy to say they are alike.

As to what I would expect to find when I find a powder measure stuck, things get dropped into the measure, careful, the drum can get dented if the object dropped into the powder measure is metal, in the old days powder funnels for powder measures were metal.

Then there is seized-up, I have choices for getting tight parts to work freely, none of my options include Coca-Cola. Anyhow, I have no problem removing the adjuster and soaking with Rislone, W-D 40, Marvels Mystery Oil, transmission fluid etc., after a little soaking I would have no hesitation to use a powder rotor/drum friendly driver (wood) and a hammer to encourage movement.

Not a good habit, some choose to leave powder in the powder measure, I have no problem with lubing the drum/rotor for storage, for most of my powder measures I have two drums.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; April 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: change day day to say
Old April 16, 2013, 04:13 PM   #5
g.willikers

You guys.
So critical.
I used to regularly use Coca-Cola for cleaning battery terminals.
It's good for removing rust from iron, too.
That same stuff that people drink.
If it's still the same recipe as back in the olden days.
Blegh.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Personally I would try and find some Kroil. Then I would put the measure in the oven and warm it up to around 150 - 200, pull it out and add the Kroil or, simply put it in a small pan big enough to hold the measure and let it soak over night.

After an overnight soak I might still be inclined to warm it up real well using a hair drier or heat gun. If you had an old toaster oven where you could do it outside, you might still warm it up to a bit higher and more even temp.

The warming and cooling will draw the Kroil into the stuck areas and it will break it free. I've been using it for nearly 30 years and never had it fail to get into the smallest places I needed it to get.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
dahermit

Before getting one's panties in a bunch with chemical remedies, check to see if the adjustment screw is turned too far in causing the drum to be unable to rotate. If the adjustment of the screw, drum (I do not know which measure you have), then you can go the oil, coke, etc., route. It would be unusual for a powder measure to seize without seeing rust, etc. on the outside. Try to take it apart and clean it first so that you do not create a mess.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Make, model, year and particulars would be helpful for those who could help you. Stuck for how long? Stuck during storage? Stuck during usage? Any movement at all?
Old April 16, 2013, 10:50 PM   #9
azjohn

You might want to check this out.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-resurrection
Old April 17, 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
vffdoug

Pacific Deluxe powder measure unnknow year. I will try and get photos of it later today whent he wife gets home from work.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Farmland

Is this it?

http://www.hornady.com/support/downl...s/discontinued
Old April 17, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
wncchester

The bigger questions are how recently did it get locked up (or rusted in place), did you change anything before it jammed and, if was recent, what powder were you using when it jammed.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:32 PM   #13
primerman

We used to use Coke (The Cola) to break down the rust on truck tires and wheels to get them broke down to repair flats or change tires but not sure that a powder measure is the same thing. I often wondered what it (Coke) was doing to my stomach after I drank it too. Being afraid to know is probably why I'm not a chemist. (That and all the book work, memorization and etc.)
Old April 19, 2013, 12:01 PM   #14
vffdoug

None of the powder measures shown on Horandy's site is the one I currently own. It got seized up prior to me purchasing it from the former owner unknown to me when I went to use it found out it was seized up.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:05 PM   #15
schmellba99

Heat + penetrating oil will probably be your best bet.

Coke works great on removing rust from iron because one of the primary ingredients is phosphoric acid (when transporting concentrated syrup, the trucks have to have a hazmat permit and placard). Phosphoric acid loves iron and oxidized iron.
Old April 20, 2013, 02:42 PM   #16
primerman

have you called Hornady, they are usually pretty good about fixing stuff like this. Even if you didn't buy the stuff new they are usually willing to talk to you about how to fix a problem.
Old April 20, 2013, 02:44 PM   #17
primerman

"even if you don't buy the stuff new", no wonder I didn't take chemistry and it sounds like I didn't do well with grammar either.

Last edited by primerman; April 20, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:38 PM   #18
wncchester

"It got seized up prior to me purchasing it from the former owner "

Okay it could be bound on rust, could be powder flakes, could be mouse pee. ? Disassemble it as far as possible and soak all holes and crevices with penetrating oil for a few days. Nothing works any better than common Automatic Transmission Fluid. I buy it in quarts at Walmart, it's the best light gun and fishing reel oil I've ever used and it's a good rust preventer too.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:26 AM   #19
F. Guffey

Many years ago Rislone guaranteed me if their product did not help it would not hurt.

Rebuilding and painting, I was told I had to etch the metal, seems the paint would not stick if I did not etc., etc.. Or the paint would stick better if I etched etc., etc.. I etched with vinegar, aluminum and steel, after panting I road tested the paint, 100 mph +.

Coca Cola, sounds cute, I had rather look cool and drink Coca Cola, I remember the old days, the most impressionable ran around hollering "If you drink Coca Cola your stomach will get eat up because if you put a nail in the coke the nail will disappear". Again, around our house a coke never lasted long enough for a nail to be added. And that part about looking cool, no one ever told me I looked cool drinking coke, to us it made more sense to drink Pepsi Cola and or Royal Crown, we got more for the mony. And I am not the collector, I am a collector, I use vinegar on old rusty tools, back to etching, I have options, I can clean cast iron in days or I can made it disappear in a few minutes.

F. Guffey