The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 28, 2001, 09:26 AM   #1
Nightcrawler

My friend's step dad has this in the basement. It's an antique side by side, in VERY good condition. The right barrel is chambered in something called .43 Mauser, from the box of factory ammunition that he had (the box looks like its at least a decade old), and I'm pretty sure the left barrel is 16 gauge.

It's a take down design. You can detach the barrels for storage.

I have no idea how old this weapon is. It has exposed double hammers, engraving on the receiver and barrels, checkered Monte Carlo stock, and a bead sight. There are several markings on it, some of which are letters with a little crown above them, leading me to think that it was made somewhere in the old British Empire.

Any ideas?
Old March 28, 2001, 12:30 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just off hand, I'd bet a bunch of money that it's German, likely pre WW I, and possibly even pre-1900.

The Germans were very fond of these combination rifle/shotgun critters.

Generally they're called Drillings, but there are actually different names for them depending on the number of barrels and the barrel layout.

If it's chambered in .43 Mauser, it's DEFINITELY German, as to the best of my knowledge NO British gunmaker every offered the .43 Mauser chambering.

The proof marks you mention could come from any of a number of different nations -- France, Germany, Britain, Belgium -- as all had crowns marks in their proof sets at one time or another.

If you have access to a Blue Book of Firearms Values, there's a section in the back that has graphics of proof marks.

The ammo box is probably by Remington, and may be largely green, or may be green & red.

I'd also bet that the box is a LOT older than a decade, as Remington stopped making .43 Mauser prior to WW II.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2001, 12:51 PM   #3
Nightcrawler

ammo boxes

...Aren't that old, I don't think, as they have a K-Mart price sticker on them. I'd say from the eighties. The ammo itself was made in Canada. The case stamping says "Dominion 43M".

Old March 28, 2001, 05:26 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nightcrawler,

AH! Gotcha. You're right, they're not that old.

99.5 times out of 100 when you see a box of .43 Mauser, it's an ANCIENT box of Remington.

I'd forgotten that Dominion made this, and some other funky, cartridges for awhile.

I THINK that they were doing this in the late 1980s up to the mid 1990s.

Old March 29, 2001, 03:40 PM   #5
Betty

Nightcrawler,
My father owns a beautiful old german drilling side-by-side also, but the two barrels are 16 gauge with the rifle barrel under the two. I don't remember the caliber, but I know he has been searching for ammo. It has beautiful engraving and I think my dad knows the date of manufacture, which may help give a general timeframe for yours also. It also has the company's name on it (don't remember, but I'll see it this weekend and find out).
Old March 29, 2001, 04:03 PM   #6
Nightcrawler

Thanks, Runt!

I appreciate it!
Old March 29, 2001, 05:30 PM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Mike:
The word Drilling is German for Triplett or three. Many of us used to think it was a mfg name of combo guns as was described, that is until we married a German.

HJN
Old March 29, 2001, 06:13 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Harley,

Then this would be a Vierling, correct? Two barrels?

Old March 30, 2001, 08:12 AM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Mike:
The German word for twins, zwillinge, with the "W" pronounced as a "V" Drillinge is the term for three, The word vierlinge is the German word for Quad, four.

When used as your example, twin barrels, the term would be doppel, meaning two, not twin. In our translation that may be the case. One has a tendency to loose a lot in a translation.

HJN

[Edited by Harley Nolden on 03-30-2001 at 09:21 AM]