The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 25, 2009, 12:36 PM   #51
James R. Burke

The hardest part I had was being that cold, and getting a deer. Brings a new meaning into gutting.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:52 PM   #52
Shaun_300

Coldest was -33 in bow season for deer, warmest was probably 75 for grouse.
Old November 15, 2010, 01:39 PM   #53
musicmatty

I had to revisit this thread. After posting in it last December, we had what's been called the Christmas Blizzard a week later. Then we had 2 more Blizzards that were just 3 days apart from each other in early Feburary. Yes..it was the Coldest Deer Season that I ever hunted in. I wonder what this season will hold for everyone in this region?
Old November 15, 2010, 02:04 PM   #54
lt dan

musicmatty, give us an idea about the temp you are talking about here
Old November 15, 2010, 02:07 PM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A buddy and I gettin' ready for an afternoon archery hunt...
Note the camo shirt my buddy is wearing... so good you can't even see it

Brent
Old November 15, 2010, 02:36 PM   #56
WayneinMaine

colder than -40...

It was between -40F and-45 F (depending if you were at the top of a hill or the bottom January 1994 in Northern Maine about 3 Miles south of Loring Air Force Base. Was hunting snowshoe hair but didn't see anything but my breath. Funny thing it's hard staying cool when it's really cold. If you're dressed warmly enough to be comfortable standing still, you have to move awful slow to avoid getting too warm when moving on snowshoes. I doubt I've hunted at over 80 degrees.
Old November 15, 2010, 02:49 PM   #57
ZeSpectre

The very first time I ever went hunting was after a lot of prodding by a friend. So on the grand day of the first venture we got all suited up and so forth and set out into the 33 degree day.

Well when we got to the area we split up by a few dozen yards along a game trail and using my long-developed camping skills I located a very nice recess between a tree and a large rock which gave me a nice view, a dry seat, sheltered me from the wind, and after the sun came out was pretty warm overall. So warm in fact that I dozed off.

Well about an hour later my buddy calls me on the radio and says he can't take the cold anymore. While I'd been asleep the clouds had rolled in, the winds had picked up, and outside my sheltered area it was probably close to 10 degrees (and windy).

So I guess "technically" I've hunted in somewhere between 0-10 degrees.
Old November 15, 2010, 03:39 PM   #58
4runnerman

Coldest -23, Hottest about 95. Minnesota heart of the nanook people
winters here get to minus 30 a lot,and a 35 mile per hour wind behind it.
Now i sit in a ice house and fish..Maybe 70 degrees in there
Old November 15, 2010, 03:52 PM   #59
OlCrip

Never have hunted in really hot weather but cold is another story. My very first year deer hunting was in Grayling, MI, along about 1958. Our thermometer registered -35º one morning. That year it never got up to Zero. All the scopes froze up or fogged up that year.
Old November 15, 2010, 05:57 PM   #60
musicmatty

It was 17Far. that mornin of last December when I took a good size Doe. That was our Christmas dinner..Tenderloin stew. It snowed on me 3 of the 5 days I was out there..made for some good huntin
Old November 15, 2010, 06:20 PM   #61
sc outdoorsman

The hottest and coldest were both in dove fields. Probably the hottest about 105 in the shade and the coldest was around 0 with 30-40 mph winds. The doves would come screaming in low over the trees with the wind behind them. When we shot them and they would hit into the terraces in the field and bounce up a foot or so because the ground was frozen. They made a loud thump upon impact. I would say the wind chill was probably around -20 or less.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:19 PM   #62
kaylorinhi

Oh nevermind, you meant only 4-legged Game! Sorry nothing special there.
Old November 17, 2010, 02:14 AM   #63
lefteyedom

100 degrees hunt doves in Mississippi'

-20 hunting elk in Wyoming.

It was soo cold we had to use pliers to pull the words out of mouths,
Old November 17, 2010, 08:32 AM   #64
musicmatty

Lorg Jesus..how did you hunt in those conditions..-20 in Wyoming?? You must have been starving for vittles huhh
Old November 17, 2010, 11:04 PM   #65
warbirdlover

As an eighteen year old, the first year I deer hunted back in 1966 here in Wisconsin we camped out in a tent on paper company land and it was -25º F. We had to zip the sleeping bags together, sleep fully dressed (with all our insulated stuff on including hunting jackets), have everything that burned white gas (camp stove, heaters etc) going and cover our heads (and we were wearing full face mask hats). It was brutal.

I shot the biggest deer in my life that season (probably 150-160) only to trail it and find it tagged by someone else. The guy that took (got me started) me hunting.

And we had no blinds to sit in to hunt. Boy did those pork chops on the open fire taste good though.

Couple years ago it was 70º F deer hunting in November. Must be that global warming.... :barf:

Anyone who hasn't gotten in a car that's sat outside in -35º F weather hasn't lived. The seats are like cement and there is no suspension movement. The radial tires normal flat spot stays flat for a few miles and it's like driving on square tires.... if you can get the car started.

Last edited by warbirdlover; November 17, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old November 18, 2010, 10:32 AM   #66
azar92

Coldest for me was -12F on a late season cow elk hunt. Warmest? I have no idea, but probably only low 70's. Usually, it's like 30-40's before first light so you are dressed for cool/cold weather. Then you hoof it up the mountain, the sun comes out and really warms up and you end up sweltering in your cold weather gear...