The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 20, 2009, 06:15 PM   #1
DanThaMan

Training methods for indoor range?

I'm relatively new to training with a pistol for defense situations. Usually I just take my Glock 17 to the range and simply enjoy plinking at targets and competing with friends in unprofessional challenges. I am not a bad shot at all, but I understand that being a good shot at the range doesnt qualify me to consider myself "ready" to defend my life and my loved ones.

Outdoor ranges are all closed for the season, and until the holiday season comes and passes I won't be able to afford to take a good class on defense tactics. So, appretiate that all I can do right now is go to an indoor range and shoot 2D silhouettes.

That said, are there any training methods I can imploy which will further prepare me to defend my home?

Today I went to the range and improvised as best I could. I held my gun in the compressed and ready position, extended my arms quickly and tried to get 10 rounds out in a timely manner (about 15 seconds). My groups were decent: about tennis ball sized at 25 ft consistently. At 40 ft I managed softball sized groups.

Next I loaded and readied the gun and set it on the counter. Then I turned and faced the booth next to me (90 degrees), and quickly oriented my body towards the target to simulate a threat from the side, picked up the gun, got in the crouched position and fired. My groups surprisingly reamained the same size.

Anything else I can do that is appropriate in an indoor range?
Old December 20, 2009, 07:08 PM   #2
KenpoTex

Sounds like you're on the right track. I hate shooting at the indoor range because, among other reasons, they won't let you draw from a holster and you're technically only supposed to fire one round every two seconds (they usually don't care if you speed up a little as long as you're shooting well).

As a result, I tend to use the time to focus on drills that emphasize precision. For example, 1" or 3" dot targets, etc.
Your idea of starting from compressed ready is a good one, I do something similar. I use the 4-count drawstroke shown here (about 1/2 down the page). Since I can't draw from the holster, I just start at the #2 position and continue from there. Or I'll have 2 targets on the frame (or pick two different dots), shoot one, go to low-ready or compressed ready (position #3 in the drawstroke) and then shoot the second one.

I also do a lot of "ball-and-dummy" drills and malfunction drills by mixing dummy rounds in with the live rounds in the magazine.

Matt K.
Old December 21, 2009, 12:23 AM   #3
DanThaMan

Thanks I'll use the dumby round simulation of a malfnction.

My compressed ready stance is identical to step 3 of your method
Old December 21, 2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Slopemeno

Join your local IDPA/USPSA/Steel Shooting/Bowling Pin league.

Tags
indoor , methods , range , training