The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 14, 2022, 01:40 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Can you tell me the age of this H&R revolver ...

Approximately when this pistol was made?

Harrington Richardson The American Double Action. Hexagon barrel 2 1/2 inch.

Serial number 196xxx. Was nickel plated and now is blued.
Old September 15, 2022, 06:27 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Doc - can't tell you the year yours was made, but a quick Google shows they were produced from 1905 to 1942.

I have one that was my grandfather's but it is in pretty rough shape (he was born in 1867). I haven't got it handy so don't know the serial # of it, but Think the one I have is probably a fairly early one. The plating is about gone - has a octagon barrel - 8 sides. I always considered them a cheap "Saturday Night Special". I've seen quit a few of them over the years and most were in pretty rough shape.

Jim
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 18, 2022, 07:26 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

All

I can't even find a definitive comment on the change-over to octagon barrels. Does anyone know for sure?

How about a member who has one with a round barrel and also a readable serial number?
Old September 20, 2022, 09:11 PM   #4
Carmady

"Harrington Richardson The American Double Action. Hexagon barrel 2 1/2 inch."

What caliber is it, a 7-shot .22?

Does it have the caliber written on the LEFT side of the barrel? If so, it was likely made for modern smokeless powder, which might mean it was made in the 1900s.

Got any picsl?
Old September 21, 2022, 12:07 AM   #5
Hawg

They changed to the octagon barrel in 1898. 1898-1904 has company name and address on left side of barrel. 1905-1942 has company name, address and caliber marked on the left side of the barrel. If it does not have the caliber marked on the left side of the barrel its black powder only.
Old September 21, 2022, 01:56 AM   #6
ChimpMunk20

A chart of serial numbers and the year they where made will be really nice and help for future use.
Old September 21, 2022, 04:06 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpMunk20 View Post
A chart of serial numbers and the year they where made will be really nice and help for future use.
There isn't one. H&R serial numbers before 1940 are pretty much useless.
Old September 24, 2022, 11:28 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Sorry it has been so long since my last post on this thread.

Here are some answers.

It is .32 S&W.

Caliber is engraved on the left vertical barrel surface. .32 S&W CTGE.

Manuf. Name is on the upper left flat of the barrel

I have seen serial numbers in the three digits and four digits. I also calculate that they made about 10,000 to 16,000 per year if production was relatively consistent with the exception of the war years. Assuming unbroken application of serial numbers, at 10,000 per year This was made in about the 20th year of production or about 1918. Probably earlier since I am not allowing for round barrel versions numbered and then no restart with the octagon barrel. If the average annual production was closer to 16k we are talking about 1912. That also sort of works with a total production run of 850,000 ending in 1942.

So, if we had some bacon, we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs.

My logic has a lot of opportunities for challenge. I am not trying to lock it in to was it made on a Monday or a Friday? Just an approximate year.
Old September 24, 2022, 12:38 PM   #9
Hawg

The 1905 models with the octagon barrels started at serial number 01 and going up to 700,000. The safety hammerless and bulldog are in the same serial number range. You're not going to pin it down to a specific year. No records exist as to how many were made per year.
Old September 24, 2022, 02:16 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Okay. This is good info.

So in a serial number range that starts with 1 in 1905 and ends with 700,000 in 1942, divided completely equally (which I know is unlikely) each year uses roughly 20,000 positions. My serial number is at 200,000 which is ten years into the production run give or take prolly three years. That makes it sometime between 1912 and 1918.

I know this logic depends on variables the are tough to pin down. I think a six year span in the time frame during which this particular pistol was made is reasonable but possibly too tight.

They turned to war production in WW I possibly at the expense of production of these non-military pistols

Demand for pistols by civilians might have declined because civilians were doing other things.

This means production of these pistols from say, 1916 to 1919 might be less that average.

Production might have increased because of war hysteria among those who were in a position to buy.

As you say, Hawg, Who knows?

If I thought I could confidently place this pistol somewhere between 1912 and
1921 I will have met my goal.
Old September 24, 2022, 08:32 PM   #11
McShooty

Doc: The H&R American was made in two models. The First Model (3 variations, 1884-1904) and the Second Model (No variations, 1905-1941). The first Model was chambered for .32 S&W (6 shots) or .38 S&W (5 shots) and was for black powder only. The Second Model was chambered for .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W and may be used with smokeless powder ammunition. Smokeless models will have the caliber inscribed on the left barrel flat. The First Model had a round barrel. An octagon barrel was introduced on the Second Model about 1905. A 2.5 in bbl was standard, but 4.5 in or 6 in could be obtained. Markings include THE AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION in two lines on the top strap. H. & R. ARMS COMPANY, WORCESTER, MASS.U.S.A is on the top barrel flat and 32 S & W CTGE is on the left barrel flat. I have noted that 32 S&W CTGE will be marked even on guns that will chamber .32 S&W Long. If a 32 Long chambers and the caliber mark is on the left barrel flat, then it will fire modern 32 Long ammo, which is said to be loaded light enough to safely fire in old guns. Be wary. Don’t shoot it if you don’t have to. Most of t++his information is taken from Bill Goforth’s book, H & R Arms Company, 1871 - 1986. This is a very good book even though it has many omissions. This is not the fault of the late Mr. Goforth. H&R had so many model designations for handguns, rifle, and shotguns, some of them with low sales numbers, that many of them cannot be found for examination.
Old September 25, 2022, 05:31 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Yes.

Thanks for the "wink-back", Mc.

the variations are so numerous that you almost need a chart to understand them.
Old October 23, 2022, 04:00 PM   #13
Jeff_French

Howdy all,
I have written a small treatise on the 1st. model of the America Double Action if anyone would care to read it. As McShooty said, Bill Goforth did a fine job with the resources he had, but there are omissions in his book. He even states in it that he published the book as a starting point for H&R research and collecting and not a definitive guide to all things H&R. I knew Bill and he was a fine man.

With best regards,
Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ADA_Notes.pdf (1.42 MB, 173 views)

Last edited by Jeff_French; October 23, 2022 at 04:27 PM.