The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 26, 2022, 08:34 PM   #51
Pathfinder45

Surely this is not the first time you've shot two bullets through the same hole.... and here I thought you were a real rifleman...
Old August 26, 2022, 10:30 PM   #52
stagpanther

Quote:
Surely this is not the first time you've shot two bullets through the same hole.... and here I thought you were a real rifleman...
Not a real one--I just play pretend one on the internet. Seriously, if I can do this--surely somebody out there with one of those psychedelic ultra-modern (ultra-expensive) race rigs and actually has good technique could easily produce a ragged hole at this distance.

I also bought a few box of CCI's stinger which scoots along at 1,600 fps+ and has no issues chambering in my CZ's non-match chamber. It's case appears to be made of steel and is also slightly longer than a "normal" 22lr case. Unfortunately it's apparently mated to a bullet that isn't optimized for target shooting--at least it doesn't group minute of solar system in my rifle. But once someone figures out an optimal bullet design--I think this could be a path to the future of long range performance 22lr shooting. It's hard for me to imagine the likes of Ely and RWS (who appear to be the best bullet designers in 22lr as far as I can tell) aren't taking a close look at CCI's ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7596.jpg (54.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; August 27, 2022 at 05:54 AM.
Old August 27, 2022, 02:57 PM   #53
stagpanther

Since I was still giddy with yesterday's results today--I decided to get "greedy" and try again--except this time I wanted to push it out further to 300 yds. Unfortunately, construction gear was in the way, so I had to settle for 254 yards. The other really big problem is that as I was setting up the sun started breaking through the 100% overcast and that almost immediately caused the winds to double in speed as well as kick off thermal turbulence and gustiness. 5 mph is about my max for reasonably doping the wind for 22lr, gusts were spinning off erratically at three times that speed. Way out of my league, as it turned out, but I still shot half a box of R 100 to learn what I could. Even half a box is an expensive day.

The only group that showed promise was the very first one which I got off before the sun broke through and kicked things off. Had I not pulled that shot close to the target dot it could have been an awesome 5 shot group. I tried 4 more times but the the best I could do was around 3" after this first group.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg R100 at 254 yds wflyer.jpg (99.3 KB, 70 views)
Old August 27, 2022, 03:36 PM   #54
Rob228

Stag,

You are by far outshooting me, I've had a busy summer so haven't been able to put the time into the range that I did last summer, before I had to send my rifle back to the factory (new barrel, out of spec chamber) I was lucky to get 1.5" at 100, and at 200 I was averaging 6". I remember telling myself that shooting rimfire HAD to be cheaper than what I was spending on 6.5 ammo, then my rifles both showed a preference for Lapua Midas+ and Ely Tenex. Can't exactly tell myself that I'm saving money.

Have you tried putting up crepe paper streamers or engineer/caution tape on stakes every 50 yards or so? My range has us shooting through a 10' long tunnel so anything to make a windcall off of has to be in line with your target. Its not as accurate as a dedicated wind flag but it'll give you a baseline to judge what the wind is doing downrange. What I wasn't ready for with the .22 was how a zero value (headwind or tailwind) will make the impact change vertically. I still don't have enough data to make accurate calls based on that.
Old August 27, 2022, 04:33 PM   #55
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag,

You are by far outshooting me, I've had a busy summer so haven't been able to put the time into the range that I did last summer, before I had to send my rifle back to the factory (new barrel, out of spec chamber) I was lucky to get 1.5" at 100, and at 200 I was averaging 6". I remember telling myself that shooting rimfire HAD to be cheaper than what I was spending on 6.5 ammo, then my rifles both showed a preference for Lapua Midas+ and Ely Tenex. Can't exactly tell myself that I'm saving money.

Have you tried putting up crepe paper streamers or engineer/caution tape on stakes every 50 yards or so? My range has us shooting through a 10' long tunnel so anything to make a windcall off of has to be in line with your target. Its not as accurate as a dedicated wind flag but it'll give you a baseline to judge what the wind is doing downrange. What I wasn't ready for with the .22 was how a zero value (headwind or tailwind) will make the impact change vertically. I still don't have enough data to make accurate calls based on that.
In large part--my strategy is to wait things out for conditions as calm as possible. I live on the Atlantic coast and once the wind starts blowing it's really tough. Using premium ammo DOES make a big difference in 22lr--problem is all the practice shots figuring out the dope becomes enormously expensive very fast sticking with the good stuff. I have trouble enough consistently breaking off a clean shot in no winds at all. That incremental increase I shot today from 200 yards to 254 resulted in an increase in bullet drop of about two feet.

As for the head/tail wind changing elevation, my attitude about that is that it really depends, if it's a cool overcast day without convective or advective (surface heating or mechanical obstructions) upsetting a laminar flow they can work to my advantage once I figure them out, especially a tailwind.

I have started putting up streamers which do help. The really confounding part is where I shoot it's basically down a road lined by trees which also is slightly hilly--and opens up into flat wide gravel pit areas at both ends if shooting past 200 yds.
Very often the wind can be blowing or gusting in opposite directions at either end of the road. Then it's a game of timing the balance of the winds--and trying to shoot a string as quickly as I can when things look good.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 28, 2022 at 04:12 AM.
Old August 28, 2022, 03:15 PM   #56
stagpanther

Quote:
You are by far outshooting me
If it makes you feel any better--I went out this morning and shot in winds in the 5 to 10 mph range; no matter how hard I tried to dope the wind and timing--the best I got was about a 3" group at 254 yds. after at least 50 shots. 22lr has a "nefarious" side--once you get addicted it's hard to keep the round count low when shooting.
Old August 30, 2022, 05:36 AM   #57
darkgael

Rummaging around YouTube, I found a fellow (a number of fellows actually) who pursue extreme long distance shooting. Check this video: .22lr at 1000yards…
https://youtu.be/lcnunlqzjE8
Old August 30, 2022, 06:12 AM   #58
stagpanther

I've seen that video before--the ELR 22lr movement here in the US got a big push with Cutting Edge's introduction of solid 22lr bullets, but those things require absolute jedi master skills in matching up a load with a custom barrel that can optimally shoot them. I've tried--and so far have failed.

Couple of interesting things about that video--it looks to me like the bullet skips and makes a secondary impact in the right background in at least one of the shots, maybe bounces is a better way to describe it considering the trajectory. Notice also he picked early morning calm conditions to shoot in--that far flag showed only the slightest stirring of any kind of wind. But the fascinating part to me is that it appears to me that dispersion of shots seem to be mostly in elevation--not windage, which is exactly what I typically experience in ranges past 150 yards. I shot my 17 HMR and 22 lr at 230 yds yesterday in wind and the HMR's flatter trajectory gave it a huge advantage in any kind of wind.