The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 29, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
lcpiper

Lever gun, tube magazine in butt-stock?

Do any of you guys know of a Lever gun that had a tube magazine in the butt-stock of the rifle?
Old October 29, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Pahoo

Civil War Spencer Model 1860 Carbine

The one that comes to mind, is the Civil War Spencer Model 1860 Carbine ....
I'm sure there were or are others but this one comes to mind. If you have seen the movie Unforgiven it was the one that Morgan Freeman was using; or so it seems .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 29, 2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

many of the 22's did... IIRC... that was Browning patent type rifles
Old October 29, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
lcpiper

Thanx, I'll look into the Brownings and even the Spencers.
Old October 29, 2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I think a lot of department store guns of the past used the Browning design, so if you are looking at used, there may be several different brands... current manufacture, I know the Brownings, but seem to remember at least one other brand ( maybe 2 ) that use the Browning patent design...

I don't know of any bigger than 22 rim fires that I can remember...
Old October 29, 2013, 02:50 PM   #6
lcpiper

IC, sounds good, I'll start looking Thank You.
Old October 29, 2013, 02:59 PM   #7
TheHappyGunner

A little known weapon is the Evan's repeating rifle. This lever rifle could hold 34 total rounds in it's magazine located in the buttstock. Surely a very intriguing firearm. forgottenweapons.com did a great article on it here:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/evan...g-rifle-video/

Be sure to check out the video!
Old October 29, 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Ibmikey

Magnum, I cannot think of any lever .22 with a butt magazine..what am I missing?
Old October 29, 2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Hawg

He didn't read the lever part.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Pahoo

OKAY, Semi-Autos !!!

Quote:
Now it makes sense and yes, there were a were a bunch of semi-autos, including Mossberg and store brands that have stock feed tubes. ....
I'm thinking that there should be some European makers in there, like Henry Martini .....

Add an Evans repeating rifle to your list. This is some old stuff. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 30, 2013, 10:13 AM   #11
lcpiper

Really neat rifle the Evans.

I may not find what I am looking for though.

I am interested in making a suppressed SBR Lever gun for hunting as it is now legal in AZ to hunt with suppressors. One problem is that for many lever guns, shortening the barrel will also shorten the magazine tube and lower magazine capacity.

I though I recalled that some pump and maybe even lever guns had a tube magazine in the butt stock and though one of these might be perfect. Of course a pump would still need to be longer because of the hardware supporting the pump action, but a lever gun is another story.

Now I have seen that some of the Brownings and a few others have a box magazine and this might do it, but they generally have low capacity magazines as well.

Another pertinent issue is the chambering as some might be better then others, for instance, I would think it would be very easy to get subsonic .45LC ammo and that subsonic .45LC would sacrifice much as the round was naturally designed for lower velocities. I would be interested in other suggestions for rifle or pistol calibers that are low velocity and would make a good hunting round for things like javelina or wild boar.

I think that the Rossi Ranch Hand pistols would make an easy transition but I am not sold on their quality and as I am going to put about $700 or more in suppressor and NFA tax stamps into this gun an extra couple hundred for a quality base rifle would probably be worth it.

Marlins and Winchesters immediately come to mind, perhaps a 94AE Trapper. Anyway, if any of you know of a rifle that would be a dead ringer for what I am looking to do please point me to it, Thank You.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
actually I did

was thinking of the 22 autos though, & thought there were some of the same design in lever guns... I couldn't find any though, so apparently I was mistaken ... sorry

there are several guns that use a 1/2 mag I'm thinking Marlins... 35 Remington, 444, 45-70 ( sorry, don't remember what model designation )

I'm not aware of any 45 Colt ( which does sound like a good cartridge for what you're trying to do ) but you could easily have one modified with as short a magazine as needed to match the barrel, or clear the suppressor, & it would likely only reduce your capacity by 3-4 rounds
Old October 30, 2013, 11:09 AM   #13
SDC

Sergei Mosin even made a BOLT-ACTION with a multiple-tube magazine in the butt before he worked on the Mosin-Nagant 1891.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:02 PM   #14
psyfly

Remington Nylon 76.

"World's Fastest Lever Action Rifle" (advertising claim).

Butt-stock mounted tube magazine.

IIRC, only about 30k of these were made. Good luck finding one .

Oops, I did a quick search and stand corrected: I found three on GB alone.

Kinda pricey, wish I'd bought one back when.

Will

Last edited by psyfly; October 30, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Learned something
Old October 30, 2013, 02:49 PM   #15
lcpiper

That's almost perfect, but it is pricey and nylon, and .22LR, anyway. There are some Integrally Suppressed 10/22s that would probably be better for .22LR although I think they might be even more expensive.

But if I can get my hands on a 94 Trapper in .45LC at under $600 I'll be off to a good start I think.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Malamute

Winchester used to set up lever action models for supressors way back when. The made the mag tube an inch or so short. Looks sort of odd without the supressor, but worked alright I believe.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 31, 2013, 01:55 AM   #17
sc928porsche

Early model Henry's.