The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1
frjeff

My First Reloading Effort

Well, my primers arrived yesterday, so today I reloaded a few (20) 9mm on my new Lee Cast Turret Press,etc. Want to try them at the range tomorrow.

Following the Load Data for my Hornady 115gr FMJ RN bullets, I dropped 4.3gr of WIN 231. The book also called for an OAL of 1.100.

I was tweaking the bullet seating die for proper length during my first few rounds, so my OAL varies from the suggested 1.1000 to a long of 1.185.

Will these longer OAL rounds be OK to fire?

I'm still way below the max OAL of 1.169

Thanks.......

Jeff+
Old July 23, 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
frjeff

Whoops

Got to learn to measure!!

Looks like some of my reloads are OVER the max OAL.

Better get rid of those!

Jeff+
Old July 23, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Ub3rn00ber

I cant answer your question but i can add one

Pistol rounds have a crimp on them? I guess that would prevent you from just pushing the round down more with the press?

Not to thread jack, i was just wondering.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:57 PM   #4
frjeff

Crimp

Yes, the 9mm has a taper crimp not a roll crimp like the .38SPL/.357. But, I tried pushing my longest round deeper and it did not want to budge, so I though best not to push it.

It is only one round that is beyond OAL spec. - so I trashed it.

Jeff
Old July 23, 2009, 05:23 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

This is why you want to have a bullet puller (reloader's eraser). Either the kinetic puller which looks like a plastic hammer, or the press mounted die type.

Just pull the bullet, dump the powder back into the hopper, and run the case back through expander, seating and crimping. DON'T resize as it will try to decap a live primer.

ETA:
1) Adjust the seating before you start crimping. I seat several rounds without crimping until I get two that are perfect. Then I set the crimping (same die or separate die)

2) Never a problem to seat longer than data table indicates (equals slightly lower pressure) as long as it is within max COL.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 23, 2009, 07:46 PM   #6
wvshooter

I'm surprised the bullet wouldn't easily seat lower after you readjusted the die. A taper crimp, which is used on all 9mm bullets is tight of course, but it should have been easy to push the bullet lower after readjustment. I've done it many times as I zeroed in on the exact OAL. BTW, where did you get the shipment of primers. I can't find any.
Old July 23, 2009, 07:52 PM   #7
frjeff

Primers

Code:
BTW, where did you get the shipment of primers. I can't find any.
I've got orders in all over the place. These came from Midway (Remington).

I also have some CCI on the way from a gunbroker.com deal (I paid high dollar, but wanted to get going on reloading).

Cabela's says they are still a few weeks out........

Jeff