The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
yrralguthrie

boolit

What the heck is a boolit? Some sort of buzz word or someone can't spell? I have some acquaintances that were reading over my shoulder and they thought it was proof people that shoot are pretty much hicks . And since I shoot they were talking about me.

Larry

Last edited by yrralguthrie; July 19, 2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: poor proofing
Old July 19, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
csmsss

I don't use the term, so cannot hazard a guess as to why many intentionally misspell the word in this manner.
Old July 19, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

A bullet is described as a commercially made projectile.

A boolit is a term inserted by the casting community when they make their own projectiles, usually made from lead alloy. As slang as it is, it's becoming a common term.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 19, 2009, 03:29 PM   #4
yrralguthrie

Bullets

I think I'll stick to cast bullets. Boolits sounds like a unfortunately poor choice for a slang term which is a poor choice of words to begin with. Sounds like something a two year old would say.

Sorry if I offend, but that term grates on my nerves and reflects on the hobby.
Old July 19, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Russ5924

I see you are going to make a lot of friends right off on this Forum
Old July 19, 2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I think if you head over to www.castboolits.gunloads.com you'll see a different perspective. They don't act childish, just laid back and informal in a good way. I personally don't like the term myself. However, I became used to the slang term because of the culture over there. It's their own way of developing comradarie. It's cheesy to hear, but you just have to hang out over there a while to understand.

Old July 19, 2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Farmland

Imagine me being called a hick? Though my close friends do say I live in the hicks.

I don't use the term boolits but it is a term that I have heard the cast people use for some time. I have room for those people to use that term as long as they don't mind a farm boy having some guns.

They even name some of the cast bullet web sites with the name boolit. To each their own. I forgot to ask isn't hick slang?
Old July 19, 2009, 04:23 PM   #8
yrralguthrie

Slang

Yes, hick is a slang term. Sorry I used it. I was lazy.

Obviously I wasn't worried about making friends when I started the thread. In these days I worry more about making an good impression on the non-shooting population. They do outnumber us and they are eventually going to determine our future. I guess the rationale is that only shooters monitor this forum and other forums.

I did have a purpose in stirring the pot. Slang terms tend to isolate and we need to proliferate, maybe even proselyte.

And please note, I am trying very hard not to drop anything down to the personal level...but boolits is a terrible slang word. Certainly has connotations not intended by the inventors and users.

Also note: I likely fit in better with the "boolit" bunch than the "non boolits bunch"; and maybe that makes me sensitive, but if I used that term in a "non boolit" audience they would certainly be amused to say the least.
Old July 19, 2009, 04:33 PM   #9
danweasel

Hahaha, this is ridiculous!
Old July 19, 2009, 05:11 PM   #10
barryhud

I like your philosophy and I believe you have it figured out.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:55 PM   #11
yrralguthrie

Where is SE OK

I was raised and lived in Clayton.

Last edited by yrralguthrie; July 19, 2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Brain not reaching fingers.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:51 PM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Boolit is a term used to distinguish between store-bought/jacketed and hand-made lead projectiles.

Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

If you don't like it, don't spell it that way. Boolits! Boolits! Boolits!

I think your philosophy is proposterous! I can't for the life of me see how this term "boolit" is a TERRIBLE slang word. Please elaborate.

Quote:
Also note: I likely fit in better with the "boolit" bunch than the "non boolits bunch"; and maybe that makes me sensitive, but if I used that term in a "non boolit" audience they would certainly be amused to say the least.
OK, if they are amused, how does that reflect poorly upon the shooting community. I think guys like you who are worried about petty stuff like this reflecting poorly on the shooting community and not worried about the crazy poeple peforming mass murders with guns needs to remove their heads from you know where... Why don't you redirect your efforts in a more appropriate arena, instead of worrying how people spell bullets...I mean boolits.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~

Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; July 19, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Master Blaster

Quite frankly why should people who cast their own Boollits care what people who dont cast them or non firearm enthusiasts think??

I'm Jewish and my neighbor thinks that means I'm going to hell when I die.

I really don't care what he thinks about a culture and a belief system he doesn't understand. Further I would not waste my time or breath explaining it, because he simply would not understand.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Boolit, them thar thangs whut cum outta the liddle hole in the barrel thingy on my gun. You puts them in this en' and pull this liddle lever thingy and then it goes bang or boom and cums outta thet en' up thar. Youall kin shoot guns widdout dem but it ain' near as much fun.

Momma is gon' slap me up alongside of the head for this.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 19, 2009, 07:21 PM   #15
gendoc

ammo that use boolits, are gcc----GOD'S CREATED CARTRIDGES !!!

letsa get da pots out boys and make'us up sumdem boolits........
Old July 19, 2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

yrralguthrie,

I've never liked "boolits" either. To my eye it looks like someone trying to be cute or who is unable to spell or who is making fun of an illiterate pronunciation. I'm not entirely sure why it strikes me that way? Advertising uses intentional misspellings all the time without getting that kind of reaction from me? Just something about it. Probably here to stay, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 19, 2009, 07:50 PM   #17
JayCee

I asked what a "boolit" was on another thread, since I had seen the term used a number of times and didn't really understand what it meant. Although I now understand the meaning of the word, I don't know how to pronounce it. Is it BOO-lit? Since it's spelled differently, I'd assume it must also be pronounced differently so that someone hearing the term spoken is able to differentiate it from "bullet". Just curious...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old July 19, 2009, 08:10 PM   #18
snuffy

Quote:
I think I'll stick to cast bullets. Boolits sounds like a unfortunately poor choice for a slang term which is a poor choice of words to begin with. Sounds like something a two year old would say.

Sorry if I offend, but that term grates on my nerves and reflects on the hobby.
My-my are you being PC! Well I'm offended, two year old huh? I'm most likely old enough to be your grandpa! Since you're new here, and haven't filled out your profile, I'd like to call you a troll.

Some people just don't understand comoradary. That's not spelled right, so make fun of me again. You aren't worried about making friends here? Rest assured, you're NOT!

Quote:
I was raised and lived in Clayton.
Clayton what, Mexico? Any relation to Arlo or Woody?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 19, 2009, 09:18 PM   #19
yrralguthrie

More Bullets

Clayton, OK

I am NOT trolling.

Master Blaster Quite frankly why should people who cast their own Boollits care what people who dont cast them or non firearm enthusiasts think??
Because they are the majority, and that sort of thinking will not help our hobby. They do vote and I assume you want to keep on casting your own boollits.

I think your philosophy is proposterous! I can't for the life of me see how this term "boolit" is a TERRIBLE slang word. Please elaborate.
Ok, I will, although I don’t think proposterous is a real word. You can call cast lead bullets anything you want, I don’t care, but boolits comes with baggage. It is what a young child that cannot quite get the correct sound right says. The child says boolits because he can’t quite say bullets. It also brings to mind a person Jethro in Beverly Hillbillies. He “got his gun and boolits” and went out to the cement pond to shoot a ‘possom. A simple minded person who can shoot and little else.

Now before you blow a gasket, understand this was true BEFORE the cast bullets people decided to use the term. Some people don’t know a bullet caster from Adam, but they do have an opinion on what to think of a person who says boollit instead of bullet. And will be amused and snicker at that person.

OK, if they are amused, how does that reflect poorly upon the shooting community. I think guys like you who are worried about petty stuff like this reflecting poorly on the shooting community and not worried about the crazy poeple peforming mass murders with guns needs to remove their heads from you know where... Why don't you redirect your efforts in a more appropriate arena, instead of worrying how people spell bullets...I mean boolits.

I expect most people understood when I said amused I didn’t mean it as a laughing amused, but as someone looks down on the poor soul who mispronounces words. I don’t believe this is petty stuff. I enjoy reloaded and want to keep doing it. I also want all people to understand that I am an intelligent, caring, understanding soul that deserves “space” to carry on his hobby. This is going to be shouted. HOW ON GOD’S GREEN EARTH COULD YOU POSSIBLY COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE CRAZY “POEPLE PEFORMING” MASS MURDER WITH GUNS NEEDS TO REMOVE THEIR HEADS FROM YOU KNOW WHERE. Your accusing me of that in public is actually libel and cause for legal action. But don’t worry. Actually it might be a slam dunk.

I am not worried about how people spell bullets…I mean boolits…I worried about someone’s image of a person using the word.

If anyone things that it doesn’t matter what others thing about us, they you are badly mistaken. In case you haven’t noticed the shooting world is under siege and that sort of thinking is not only, not going to help, but is probably quite harmful. We live in a world where we have to accommodate all, not just those who thing like we do or agree with us. You can’t do to the world as some few of you would like to do to me. Since I don’t agree just go away violently. We have to educate the rest of the population of the US, not tell them to go to hell in a hand basket. We better be careful or that where our hobby is going.

I belong to forums in several different hobbies, and some in the gun and shooting fraternity are far more likely to get upset and tell someone that disagrees with them to” put it where the sun don’t shine” If we want people to accommodate us we will have to agree to agree. Confrontation is not something that will help the hobby.

And to the gentleman that thinks he much older than I am and thus knows more. That maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. I am older than you thought. I first started reloading in 1969, not as a child.

When you reply, try to attack the thought of the post rather than me personally. Pretty soon the topic will be closed. I assure you that I am just as smart as the majority of you are. I assure you that I am just as conservative as the majority of you are. I assure you I want to keep on reloading, maybe even cast a bullet or two.

Last edited by yrralguthrie; July 19, 2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forget fullness
Old July 19, 2009, 09:40 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Sigh, a clip is what I used to top off my M1 with, a magazine is what I fill up with ammunition not bullets, an arsenal is where you make arms and ammunition not a collection of guns. People misuse the English language on a regular basis, we all, (with a very few select perfect exceptions), do it several times a day in the course of living yet we communicate. I am on these boards to talk about my favorite hobby, eating...........er I mean shooting. Lighten up folks, who needs spelling and grammar Nazis? If we can't laugh at ourselves than we might as well give up. The anti gun people don't know any better and could care less, they will not love us even if we all speak with a Harvard accent.

So hand me a boolit maw, ah'm goin' down to the crick an shoot me a gator fer supper.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 19, 2009, 10:11 PM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I am NOT trolling.
I tend to believe that. But I can see where snuffy may think you are. Stick around here and prove you're not. I'm sure your contributions on the board over time will change the minds of doubters...

So, let me get this straight. You think the percieved notion of a "misspelled" word will give that much credence to the antis? We have plenty of other viable issues to convince antis of our stance. If they cannot or will not accept the term "boolit" as a definiton for self-made projectiles, then I think it isn't worth worrying about.

Do you take issue with the terms "mold" and "mould"? They basically mean the same thing but have different spelling.

Quote:
Lighten up folks, who needs spelling and grammar Nazis?
If it bears any weight, several members can attest that I can be a Grammar Nazi...

Old July 19, 2009, 10:12 PM   #22
HuntAndFish

I don't mean to get into a discussion about language on a gun forum, but this is the way language works. Bullet and Boolit have two different meanings as has already been discussed. People make a word that means something to others and use it to communicate. If enough people use it, it goes into the dictionary at the discretion of the publisher.

Larry, if your friends don't understand this then really, who is ignorant? Personally, I think they were just looking for an excuse to criticize. Let it pass.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:16 PM   #23
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
HOW ON GOD’S GREEN EARTH COULD YOU POSSIBLY COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE CRAZY “POEPLE PEFORMING” MASS MURDER WITH GUNS NEEDS TO REMOVE THEIR HEADS FROM YOU KNOW WHERE. Your accusing me of that in public is actually libel and cause for legal action. But don’t worry. Actually it might be a slam dunk.
Sue me.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 19, 2009, 10:17 PM   #24
Jim Watson

If the people who set up the board had to misspell the word to get a distinctive domain name, ok.
In general use I consider "boolit" to be cutesy fake jargon and saying it means hand cast instead of commercial does not convince. Pretty much in the same ball park as "shottie" and "revo." I don't call MY hand cast bullets anything but bullets and I shoot some of them in a revolver.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:46 PM   #25
snuffy

Larry the spelling/grammar nazi

possom no, it's possUm. I enjoy reloaded and want to keep doing it., no, reloading.I worried um I'm worried? If anyone things that it doesn’t matter ,, it's thinks methinks. those who thing like,, and again--

I first started reloading in 1969, not as a child. Gotcha beat, I started at age 15 in 1963.

This is really nonsense. Who cares if we spell every word correctly, and use perfect grammar. I use firefox for a browser, it provides a spellcheck on anything posted on these forums. Otherwise I'd write like a 5th grader!

I've been a member over on castboolits.com for several years. I spell it boolits when referring to cast lead projectiles. As a sense of belonging and comradeship. I don't care if you're offended by me and/or others saying/writing boolits. And it don't make a bit of difference to the non-shooting public or anti gunners, who don't come on these forums anyway.

You're being paranoid to say we're on the verge of loosing our gun rights. Yes we may have a major bill to fight, but instead of arguing a very minor point of semantics, send some money to the NRA or gun owners of America.

Me, I'm going to do as much as I can to get Mark Neumann elected governor of the great state of Wisconsin. Then maybe we can get a CCW bill signed! This state will be much better off with that commie Doyle gone!:barf:

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Closed Thread