The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
chrisintexas

Glock 3rd generation vs glock 4th generation

What are the differences between glock 3rd generation vs the glock 4th generation pistols?

which have less issues?
Thanks
Old September 18, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Crankgrinder

the only diff. i can tell are a dual captive slide return spring , the stippling if you would call it that on the grip and the changeable backstraps on the gen 4 none of which are present on the gen3. I did hear that they had some issues at first with the new slide spring but that the issue was resolved. gen3 also is known to have a deal called the glock "pignose". Front end of the frame which is just the dust cover bends upward and on some touches the slide. Ive been told by glock armorers that its a production flaw, but never leads to any problems in function however, it an eye sore to me but then, so is a glock in some ways. This is not a known feature of gen4. I went with a gen 3 myself. I dont want the rough stippling to rub my side while i walk and the single spring is part of what made them so reliable in the first place so if it aint broke dont fix it. On the other hand, the gen4 is said to have a better grip feel due to the ability to customize it for your hand and they say theyve worked out the deal with the springs and theyre good to go now.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Issues can depend on the caliber. The 9mm Gen 4s had some recoil spring assembly issues in the beginning that have since been fixed. That said I have seen my share of erratic ejection in new 9mm Gen 3s and Gen 4s. I do really like the Gen 4 texture.

If you don't mind me saying I notice on your posts you've gone from handgun, to revolver, to shotgun, to Steyrs, to Glocks all in a really short time. I can't tell if you're building collection or trying to figure out what you want for a first gun. My best advice is to get to a range that rents and see what you like best. It's definitely worth the money.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 18, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Lefty Shotlow

I have a Gen 3 17, a Gen 4 19, and a Gen 4 34. No issues with any of them. The Gen 4's have changeable back straps to fit different hand sizes, and a better (in my opinion) grip texture. The mag release is larger on Gen4's and can be reversed for left handed folks. I also like the recoil spring assembly on the Gen 4's. They seem to have less muzzle rise on recoil. If I purchase anymore Glocks they will all be Gen 4's.

There have been complaints from some Gen 4 and recent Gen 3 purchasers who are having weak or erratic ejection issues, with some of the brass ejecting back toward the shooter's head.

Do a quick search on GlockTalk and you'll come up with hours of reading that may help you make a decision.