The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1
mapwd

They're Back!!!!

Guess what I found at a gun store today??? 11 boxes of Large Pistol primers!!!! Winchester primers. He also has all other size primers as well. $30 bucks a box!!!! Maybe the shortage is coming to an end. I only bought 1 box because I don't want to be guilty of hording!! should have bought 2 though.

When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826

Old July 4, 2009, 01:39 AM   #2
rc_gilmore

I've noticed an increase in primer stock in my area as well (NE Oklahoma - SW Missouri)... However, I use CCI 300 for my large pistol primers. None the less this is the first time in months that I've been able to buy primers by the brick. Also noticed a full inventory of Federal primers of every shape and size. Not much in the way of winchesters though...
Old July 4, 2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Russ5924

Was able to buy a box of LP and SP last week felt like a kid with a new toy
Old July 4, 2009, 09:55 AM   #4
TheNatureBoy

Do you think this is a sign that the panic is over and the market is coming back to us?
Old July 4, 2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I've seen posts on other forums from around the country indicating the shortage is backing off in fits and starts. CCI's new primer line is supposed to come on line this month, IIRC?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 4, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
SSG-Gibb

From What I'm told Cabelas is still a joke back Home in PA as far as reloading components go, and they STILL can't keep black rifles on the shelves.
Old July 4, 2009, 05:46 PM   #7
orionengnr

No local evidence to support this theory, but I've been reading that things should be getting better in June, so maybe it is starting to improve.

I'm sure hoping so, because I've trimmed back my shooting for the last 6-8 months to maintain some reserves. Last few times I've been to the range I've been alone, or nearly so.

Sure isn't doing anything to help the folks who work at the range.
Old July 4, 2009, 06:10 PM   #8
freakshow10mm

CCI primers are back ordered 6 months. I'm a manufacturer and get components factory direct. I get my order before distributors get theirs. I'm getting one small shipment end of the month for 150,000 primers and have 500,000 primers coming in 6 months.
Old July 5, 2009, 11:51 AM   #9
HDDeluxe

Here in the small town of Yuma, AZ we are beginning to see small amounts of Winchester small and large pistol primers come in to the only sporting goods store that sells primers. It seems to be a lot better than it has been.
Old July 5, 2009, 12:47 PM   #10
ronl

The situation seems to be easing greatly around here in central Va. Powder and primers are flowing again. I bought 800 CCI BR LR primers and some Varget and Reloader 15. Even have had .308 brass available at the local Bass Pro Shop for a very reasonable price. The shelves are fully stocked with 9mm pistol ammo. There is even .380 in limited quantities. Lots of EBR's lining the walls, too. I think we're finally turning the corner. Only thing I haven't found is 4064.
Old July 19, 2009, 07:55 AM   #11
cryogenic419

Was at the Bass Pro in Rossford, Oh this weekend and came across all primers except SR, and an amazing selection of powders that I haven't seem in the wild in some time. Good slection of brass and bullets, all popular calibers except .380. Prices were at pre-election levels.

Also took a trip up to Cabelas in Dundee, MI 2 weeks ago and found loaded ammo. Good stuff like hollowpoints for common calibers like .380, 9mm, .40, .45. The prices seemed reasonable, a little higher than pre-election times, but not out and out gouging like some of the local shops have done. Unfortunately the reloading supplies prices are all jacked up. A year ago I paid $9 for a 100 ct bag of Winchester .224 55gr FMJ, now they want 18.99. Brass for popular handgun calibers seems to be around $26 per 100.

I have seen bricks of .22lr popping up at various shops here and there as well.

I don't want to get my hopes up and say the shortage is nearing an end. Heck this is probably the stuff they ordered back in December finally making its way out into the wild. It is nice to see something other than empty shelves and those 10 boxes of .500 S&W and 3 boxes of .357 Sig.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
csmsss

No primers here in southeast Texas. Unless, of course, you're loading shotshell. Still not seeing most powders either - no Varget, no 4895, no Bullseye, etc.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:27 PM   #13
barryhud

Southeast Oklahoma

I have been able to buy sm and lg pistol primers, also Unique, Hs6, Bullseye and Trailboss. They also had popular ammunition on the shelves.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:23 PM   #14
alfack

Guess I'm lucky. Between two of my local shops, one has had nothing but Winchester large rifle & pistol. The other one has nothing but CCI small pistol & rifle, for the last couple of months.

I picked up some CCI small pistol and small rifle yesterday, but the small rifles were the CCI #41 and cost $10 extra per box. Still, at least they had some.

I do hope this is a sign that things are easing up a bit. One of the guys at the shop said that Federal or CCI make the primers for a lot of the major ammo companies and with the demand for ammo, there are going to be fewer of those brands around. I don't know if that is true or not.
Old July 20, 2009, 05:21 AM   #15
xsquidgator

Supply is tight in central FL but stuff is sort of available. I went to the July 4th gun show in Orlando and only about 3 or 4 tables had primers. They must have all talked to each other to see how much they could jack up the prices, but they were all asking $45 per 1000 for whatever they had. Another local shop jacked his up to $7 per hundred.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:32 AM   #16
Kachad

Here in the MN\WI area things seem to have loosened up for the past couple of months. I buy exclusively LP and LR primers and haven't had problems with purchasing. Course, I don't go to Cabelas anymore.