The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1
primlantah
Registration in progress

alot of unburnt powder

i shot my first reloads and noticed a large amout of unburnt powder. Im using 5.4grains of hodgdes universal clays and .45 ACP 230gr FMJs shooting through a 4 inch barrel. Half the rounds i fired ended up with ejection problems and lots of unburnt flakes on the bench in front of me... not to mention a horrendous mess inside the pistol...what did burn seems to be clean but the unburnt mess is too much. Any one know a cure for this? Do i just need a faster burning powder?
Old February 1, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
zdogk9

Sounds like you don't have a tight enough crimp. That combo should be pretty clean.
Old February 1, 2008, 06:29 PM   #3
BigJimP

I find Hodgdon Universal is a pretty dirty powder as well in some loads - especially in a 20ga shotgun load. The only thing I use Universal for anymore is in 28ga shotgun shells - its pretty clean and very consistent with that load at 13.8 grains ( but that's an apple and oranges comparison ).

The only pistol load I tried Universal on was in a .44 mag, 240 gr, and 10.0 grains and I thought it was dirty there too - so I switched over to Hodgdon TiteGroup on the .44 Mag and on all my pistol loads including .45 acp. For what its worth I've had real good luck with Hodgdon TiteGroup.
Old February 2, 2008, 02:01 PM   #4
jdmick

According to my Speer #13 your not even at the starting load yet. It lists 5.5g to 6.3g as acceptable. An undercharged load will almost always be dirty. I find 5g of Universal Clays to be very accurate and very clean for my 115g 9mm loads.
Old February 3, 2008, 07:00 AM   #5
SmokinTom

Your going to have ejection problems with underpowered loads.The 45 case is also bigger than the 9mm case too.More room for the powder to hang around in.You might want to try a faster burning powder and don`t load them under the recomended charge weights if you expect the gun to cycle.
Old February 3, 2008, 09:36 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

easy fix (since we already knew about 45 ACP residue)

Under your 230g FMJ recommend 5.0g W231.

(and ITS residue is normally not of the 'stop-yer-gun-from-runnin' kind).

Universal normally leaves significant residue in the 45 ACP. Sometimes loading to a higher pressure alleviates this.
Old February 3, 2008, 11:34 AM   #7
primlantah
Registration in progress

i tried loading universal from 5.8-6.1 grains and added about 25% to my crimp. the heavier loads were the best but all were fully burnt.