The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 11, 2001, 11:12 PM   #1
Rebeldon

Bin Laden is Afgan Commander-in-Chief

I just read that Bin Laden was actually appointed as Commander-in-Chief of the Talibans' armed forces. If this attack is linked to Bin Laden, then the Tabiban, the ruling party in Afganistan, is party to the attacks here. If that's the case, then I say we send them ALL to God!
Old September 11, 2001, 11:14 PM   #2
oktagon

please provide your source.

This appointment is like signing their own death warrant. why do it?
Old September 11, 2001, 11:21 PM   #3
Rebeldon

The Drudge Report has an article about the Russians condemning the appointment of Bin Laden as Commander-in-Chief of the Taliban's armed forces. They fear he wishes to spread his Islamic Republic concepts to some of the former Soviet Republics.
Old September 11, 2001, 11:45 PM   #4
oktagon

Interesting, very interesting. Looks like Talaban will soon be no more.

The same as WTC sadly I still can not belive that those two proud simbols of NY and US are gone forever
A tear runs through when I think of thousands of dead.
May God bless their souls.
Old September 12, 2001, 01:17 AM   #5
PreserveFreedom

Quote:
Bin Laden is Afgan Commander-in-Chief
I can swear that my grandmother wears one of those on cold mornings.

DON'T FLAME ME! I just thought a touch of comic relief might help some of us. I am grieving as much as you are...believe me.

Old September 12, 2001, 01:28 AM   #6
Seeker

Quote:
I just read that Bin Laden was actually appointed as Commander-in-Chief of the Talibans' armed forces.
I read that last week somewhere, antiwar.com maybe.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old September 12, 2001, 09:40 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Afghanistan is not a cohesive nation

bin-Laden might well have received such an honor from the Taliban but the Taliban does not control all of Afghanistan. It controls a majority of the country but there are still well-armed rebel groups (have their own armor) resisting the Taliban.

It would be imprudent of us to associate Afghanistan too closely with the Taliban because a good portion of Afghanistan does not support the Taliban - even in those areas where the Taliban is in control.