The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 27, 2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Ransome

VZ.24 8mm mauser question.

Hi, I just bought a great Czech vz.24 Mauser from a gun show today. Just took it shooting and it works great, and is dead accurate. I noticed the gun was a bit sticky to the touch. And after shooting in the heat it started to drip with what appeared to be cosmoline or gun oil out of the wood. What is the best way to get this stuff out? I was thinking maybe blow dry it and wipe it out. And should I even try to get this stuff out?

Thank you!
Old May 27, 2018, 06:58 PM   #2
tangolima

Assuming it is cosmolin dripping out, the best method I have tried is to sun bake it.

First is to wrap the whole stripped stock with old newspaper or paper towel. Everywhere including the barrel channel. The paper must make direct contact with the wood. It is utmostly important. When the oil oozes out of the wood, it needs to be wigged away, or it just go right back into the wood.

Second is to place the wrapped stock in a black trash bag. Leave it inside a car parked under hot sun, preferably barrel channel downwards.

Keep baking it for a week or so. Change out soaked paper every few days or so.

It is a good thing to do to remove non-polymerized oil from wood. It weakens wood fibers. Polymerizing oil, such as tung oil, is different thing.

I was amazed how much oil I managed to extract out of a Yugo sks stock.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2018, 10:27 AM   #3
J.G. Terry

Non-scorching heat source

Non-scorching heat source: For whom was you CZ made? Any heat source that is non-scorching will work. The sun idea is great. Also, check the balance of the rifle for cosmoline. Recently, had a time getting the dried stuff out of an 03 Springfield TG assembly.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:25 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

Mineral spirits. Disassemble the rifle and drop the whole thing into a tub of mineral spirits and leave it for 24 hours. Wipe the metal dry and lightly oil. Wipe the stock dry and apply a couple coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. Or refinish it entirely with Pure Tung Oil.