The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 4, 2019, 12:40 AM   #1
Tinker Pearce

Custom pocket Taurus Model 85

A while back there was a thing called the Taurus View- an absurdly small and light revolver in .38 Special. It was called 'The View' because of a gimmicky lexan side plate that they eventually replaced with aluminum because it was a bad idea.

It was designed for pocket-carry, and it was definitely small and light, but by most accounts the weight and tiny handle made it brutal to shoot, even with wadcutters. It got me thinking... how small could a J-frame sized revolver be before you his seriously diminished functionality? I cam across a Model 85 in trade and decided to find out.

To start I bobbed the hammer, then took a 1/2" off the barrel and re-crowned it. Then I went after the grip-frame and shortened it significantly, welding new metal onto the bottom.

I tried a couple of grip shapes, and in the end settled on something rather like a smaller, flatter Ergo Delta that I made out of some Bocote wood. It looks like there is nothing to hang onto, but it's really controllable, even with some +P loads.

After a long sweaty summer in a pocket holster in my workshop the finish was suffering. When a buddy that does Cerakoting offerred to finish it in tungsten I was all over it. When I reassembled the gun I installed a modified Model 60 trigger-return spring and smoothed things up inside. Now, while it's no one's idea of a light trigger it is at least lighter and is decently decently smooth.

Since it's my pocket-gun around the house and workshop it's become my most-carried gun. At 19 oz. it's not a lightweight, but the extra mass helps tame the recoil, and it is by no means excessive.

On to the pictures-

Old December 4, 2019, 06:33 AM   #2
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Pearce View Post

On to the pictures-

Wow. That looks amazing.

How does it shoot? What’s accuracy like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 4, 2019, 08:29 AM   #3
USNRet93

Quote:
It looks like there is nothing to hang onto, but it's really controllable, even with some +P loads.
Can you make a picture of it in your hand? Really nice work, regardless..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 4, 2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Tinker Pearce

Here's a video of me shooting the gun. The loads are 125gr HPs loaded to maximum standard pressure. As you can see the grip forces your hand very high on the gen and manages recoil surprisingly well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ZRcqRa5LM

Here's a photo of me holding the gun (in it's original finish)

Accuracy is about what you'd expect from a snubby- this is 7-yard rapid-fire and double-taps from last month.
Old December 4, 2019, 02:35 PM   #5
JERRYS.

you know what, that top gun with a grip like the one you made, and loaded with 148gr. target wad cutters could be a really great little pocket gun with minimal recoil.
Old December 4, 2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Tinker Pearce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
you know what, that top gun with a grip like the one you made, and loaded with 148gr. target wad cutters could be a really great little pocket gun with minimal recoil.
That thought had actually occurred to me; I think recoil would be much more manageable with a better grip.
Old December 4, 2019, 08:13 PM   #7
DMK

Nice work on that Taurus. It's both functionally practical and exceptionally attractive. You did a much better job with the concept than Taurus did.

One of those chambered in .32 and a 6 round cylinder would be pretty cool.

- Homeland Security begins at home: Support your Second Amendment -
www.gunowners.org - www.grnc.org