The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 30, 2019, 12:27 PM   #1
epl1007

Best Budget Rifle

Thinking about getting a new rifle. Caliber will be 6.5 creedmor 260 or 300 win mag. Debating Ruger American go wild Tikka T3X lite Savage 110 or 111 and Vanguard Series 2. Looking at preferably spending under 800 and probably 400
On a quality Vortex scope and mounts. Mostly considering a 300 win mag if I ever Hunt bigger game than deer. Anyone own any of these rifles or have advice
Thanks
Old November 30, 2019, 01:20 PM   #2
mxsailor803

I had a American and have a couple buddies that have them. Outstanding rifles for the money. I’m also going to suggest taking a look at the Remington 700 ADL. They can usually be picked up under $400 as a combo from certain Walmart’s. For optics, I’m a Vortex and Leupold fan. I like the Diamondbacks a lot. Don’t cheap out on rings and bases either. I like the Talley or DNZ one piece. I’ve also used the Leupold rings/bases for years. Now for caliber, how big of game animal are you wanting to go after that you think you need the .300? I mean people kill elk or moose with a .243win. Of the ones you mentioned though, I’d go with the .260. I’m not a Creedmore fan since the fanboys think that’s the best thing since sliced bread but have never heard of the 6.5x55 Swede. Now I’m not going to bash the .300 because it is a extremely capable cartridge but do you really want to deal with the extra recoil?
Old November 30, 2019, 01:21 PM   #3
godale

Best Budget Rifle

This is like a Chevy vs Ford thing . I think you should just go out and shoulder them all and see what feels best for you . We have one of the first ruger Americans and the stock was useless . We replaced it with a Boyd’s and got a nice rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by godale; November 30, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old November 30, 2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Ben Dover

The .300 mag will get the job done. No question. If the extra blast, flash and recoil give you the warm fuzzies, go for it! But it won't do the job any better than the .30-06, .308, .270. 260 etc.

I've killed everything from pronghorn antelope to bull moose with my .30-06 and 150 grain Speer BTSP bullets. One shot. DRT!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 30, 2019, 03:25 PM   #5
jmr40

Forget the 300 WM, a 6.5CM, 7-08 or 308 will take any game animal in N. America. With the better bullets and loads available today a 30-06 is a big gun.

If you can afford a Tikka I think they are an excellent choice. But for 1/2 the money a Ruger Predator is almost as accurate. Both will shoot better than the average shooter. I own both Tikka and several Ruger's, I like the Tikka better, but it is hard to argue with the Rugers at the price.

I don't advise buying a Ruger if you're thinking about changing the stock. There is nothing at all wrong with the factory stock, changing it won't make it any more accurate and if anything you risk messing up a good thing. The Rugers are a great $350-$400 rifle as is. Add a $200 stock to it and you have $600 in one. If you're going to spend $600 you'd be better off just buying a Tikka.

If someone already has a 260 it would be hard to justify adding a 6.5 CM, they are very close. But if choosing between the 2 then 6.5 CM all day. It is just enough better plus 260 was never popular and the 6.5 is killing it off. Ammo and brass for 260 is already near impossible to find.

A good argument can be made for 7-08 or 308, but with your options 6.5 CM..

Winston Churchill
Old December 1, 2019, 01:30 AM   #6
P Flados

Another vote to forget the 300 WM. The only application in the US that remotely justifies it is probably hunting specific areas out west where people shoot across canyons at bigger than deer sized game.

Next, think ammo. So many folks have good guns that are a pain to shoot due to ammo cost / availability. And just because a round is popular today, does not mean it will stay popular.

30-06, 308 and 270 are probably the top three for your use when it comes to good ammo choices. The 7-08 is not far behind the above and probably the better round for most US hunters.

If the ammo argument will not sway you over to the 7-08, the 6.5 CM is probably a reasonable choice.

Last edited by P Flados; December 1, 2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old December 1, 2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Bart B.

Keep in mind that game animals are killed with bullets. A given bullet at a given velocity upon impact will have the same results regardless of what shot it.
Old December 1, 2019, 08:36 AM   #8
Doyle

In my opionion, the best "budget" rifle is the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa . You can pick them up new for less than $300. They definitely won't win any beauty contests but they are known for being consistently good shooters.