The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 18, 2019, 12:39 AM   #1
trooper3385

Anyone from TX ever hunt Black Gap WMA

I got drawn for an archery mule deer tag at the Black Gap WMA this year. It will be a tough hunt, especially with a bow. It’s tough to research the area because it’s 116k acres and they assign you to a unit when you arrive. Anyone have any experience hunting here?
Old August 18, 2019, 11:33 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, in 1966.

Sparse deer population. Just guessing: Set up near a guzzler, after looking for game trails to and from the watering pan.

Pray for very cold weather. Body fat = insulation, so Bucky is basically wearing a down jacket, and doesn't move around very much.

They tend to bed just below the military crest of a ridge, on the downwind side. Near any ravine which crosses the ridge.
Old August 18, 2019, 02:09 PM   #3
ms6852

I grew up in that area and it is a tough hunt with a rifle much less with a bow. In my opinion it is overly hunted and you will be lucky to see a deer. My friends have a ranch on the opposite of Black Gap Mountain and that is were I do most of my hunting or in the Terlingua area where my brothers own land bordering Big Bend National Park. Good Luck.

PS Lots of cacti so make sure you were canvas leggings, you will appreciated.
Old August 18, 2019, 03:42 PM   #4
trooper3385

I’m guessing unless a front comes in, October will still be pretty warm. Key will be hunting the water or trails to the water. There’s not a lot of deer but they do have some big bucks. The population has increased a little. They have added about 100 head of deer a year for the last 4 yrs. I think the water will be the key to get in archery range. Tough to stalk into archery range in that terrain.
Old August 18, 2019, 09:47 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been gone from Terlingua since mid-2013. Unless the regs have changed, mule deer season runs from Thanksgiving day through the next three weekends.
Old August 19, 2019, 05:59 PM   #6
jmr40

Google earth would be a valuable tool for pre-scouting going into an area like that.

Winston Churchill
Old August 22, 2019, 12:26 AM   #7
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
I've been gone from Terlingua since mid-2013. Unless the regs have changed, mule deer season runs from Thanksgiving day through the next three weekends.
The archery season only for white tail and mule dear begin on 28-29 September and ends in 1 or 3 November 2019 in certain counties.
Old August 23, 2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Near water and toward sundown, I guess. Good luck.

One positive about walk/stalk: It's not uncommon for a bedded buck to lie still until you darned near step on him. I will say that his eruption from his bedroom is definitely startling.