The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 2, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Beentown71

J Stevens Diamond Model 43...

Just got this little darling in a "lot" of guns I acquired. Any info would be nice. Good little shooter but man it has a super light trigger. Here is a pic:

Thanks in advance,

Beentown
Old April 2, 2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Beentown71

Sorry the pic is a bit blurry. Cut some wood before taking the pic and still felt like I had the chainsaw in my hand

Beentown
Old April 3, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
PetahW

J.Stevens was Joshua Stevens, the original 1864 (?)inventor, and founder of the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co, in Chicopee, Mass - later acquired by Savage Arms Co.
Stevens had grown to become one of the world's largest arms manufacturers, prior to the acquisition by Savage.

Before Savage, Stevens introduced the Diamond No.43 pistol, based on the light Pocket Rifle frame, in 1888, in cal .22 Short, .22 LR, and .22 Stevens-Pope Armory with 6" or 10" bbls.
It was the only Stevens Target Pistol made on a light frame - which although at first considered too light for accurate shooting, proved an excellent target pistol, until it was discontinued in 1916.

The usual original finish would have been a blued bbl with a nickled frame. Some had checkered grips as issue, and there were a few diffferent sight options as well.

In 1898, they had a MSRP of $5 to $8.50.

I sold a fairly pristine Lord Model, somewhat similar in pattern, but with trigger guard/etc ILO the spur trigger, and had a larger frame, last year for $950.

Last edited by PetahW; April 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM.