The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 1, 2015, 05:14 PM   #1
bbman25

Good price for 1942 garand receiver w/barrel?

Need a receiver to complete my build, I found this really nice receiver with a barrel on gunbroker for 450 or buy it now for 499. thats right at the edge of my price range.. but i can sell the barrel i have and make some money back since this comes with one already installed and i can skip the gunsmith charge.

second option is this super early war receiver, 56k range that hes asking 149 for as a starting bid. only issue with this is supposedly there is a small crack in the firing pin bridge.. which i can have welded or TIG weld myself.
really like the very early number.

so say 499 for a nice, deifnitely reliable receiver

or probaby around 250 or so (after bidding is done) for a potentially broken one that i can fix myself.

the rifle build is just to get into things, its going to be a shooter or a display rifle. the low number is very interesting to me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=480280891

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=481141247
Old May 4, 2015, 12:04 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

As you can still get shooter Garands for $630 from CMP, anything past $250 for a receiver seems overpriced. At those prices I wonder if people buy CMP guns and strip them for parts.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not a good idea to base your decision on the quality (or lack thereof) of a barrel you have not seen on a receiver you have not seen. You could pay the money and end up with a nice barrelled action or with a piece of cut and weld junk with a shot-out barrel.

Jim
Old May 4, 2015, 02:24 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

No amount of welding will make a cracked receiver worth more than a paperweight. Building a rifle on that receiver will give you a rifle nobody will ever want to buy after spending a large pile of money in it. Should you ever decide or need to sell it.