The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 5, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1
BAYOUMUDBUG

Gunsmith 101

I have a 1920's era 30-30 winchester model 94 lever action, nickel steel barrel. I have inherited this beautiful weapon and am embarassed to say, as a much younger man at the time, i was responsible for using an (sos) pad in cleaning it for my dad. Never touched the barrel, lever, or wood. Just the outside of the chamber areas. It has noticable light scratches and obviously the blueing is gone. Any advise on the best way to restore, if any, the petina of the rifle? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old April 5, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can't really restore patina, which is the result of years of handling and use. What you can do, if you want, it to have the gun professionally reblued. That will not return it to its original appearance, but it will make it look better.

Trouble is that with all the environmental and employee protection laws, not many small gunsmiths still do bluing. You can use an internet search to find those who do, and send them the gun (you can mail a rifle to an FFL holder), or you can talk to a local gunsmith about who they use for doing that work.

One approach, but more expensive, would be to have a professional restorer, like Turnbull, really do a nice job on that gun, making it truly look like new.

Jim