The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 27, 2020, 04:48 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Is there any reason the Lee PPM shouldn't be used with BP?

As the title suggests.

I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I don't use it. I have a Lyman Gen 6 and VV powders metered badly out of the Lee.

But if I can get BP, is there any reason not to use it for charging purposes?
Old November 27, 2020, 09:20 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

I could probably google a Lee measure, but instead I'll assume they are plastic with a 'useful life window' that is in direct sight.
I've used a few of their molds and had success, but would not consider most of their products due to my personal experience and observations.
I like to buy once.

I would not use any plastic measures due to concerns over static electricity (but am sure some folks do).

I would recommend either using a black powder pencil type adjustable measure or even a BP
pistol powder flask if you cannot make a scoop from a 45-70 case with a copper handle brazed on.

If the loads are for your breech loader (paper cartridges) no drop tubing is necessary anyway, so
you would not be losing any reloading speed.

Hope you are able to get black powder. A gunsmith friend of mine has helped quite a few people
shooting inline cap guns after they met with lackluster BP substitute groups.
All were new to muzzleloaders and were amazed at how accurate a BP charge was and how simple cleaning was as well.

JT

Last edited by JT-AR-MG42; November 27, 2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old November 27, 2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Pahoo

NO

Quote:
Is there any reason the Lee PPM shouldn't be used with BP?
Simply stated; NO ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 27, 2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
As the title suggests.
if I can get BP, is there any reason not to use it for charging purposes?
No reason not to. BP can't be set off by static electricity.
Old November 27, 2020, 02:38 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

BP is measured in grains by volume not mass. Give Lee a call and ask 'em.
https://leeprecision.com/contact-us.html
Old November 27, 2020, 04:25 PM   #6
Jim Watson

So when the Sharps Rifle Co. said around 1880, "For fine shooting, powder should be weighed on a scale." they were wrong?

I don't worry about static electricity on a plastic measure igniting powder, they ship even black powder in plastic cans now.

But static cling is a great annoyance. My BP measure is a Redding with a metal hopper... double base smokeless destroyed the cheap acrylic factory hopper anyhow. And my plastic PACT scale pan is coated with graphite mold release.
Old November 27, 2020, 07:59 PM   #7
Pahoo

If you know the basics, you have the answer !!!!!

Quote:
So when the Sharps Rifle Co. said around 1880, "For fine shooting, powder should be weighed on a scale." they were wrong?
"Come on, man" You know the answer to that question and of course, they are not wrong and no one is saying that. ......

Be Safe !!!!
Old November 27, 2020, 08:16 PM   #8
HiBC

When shooting with black powder,filling the space completely, no air gaps trumps charge weight,

As far as static or any other hazard, I'd bet Lee can give you better info than my opinion.
Contact them
Old November 27, 2020, 09:31 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
BP is measured in grains by volume not mass.
Grains is a unit of mass, not volume. Since it isn't possible to measure mass by volume, your statement requires clarification.

The Perfect Powder Measure doesn't measure mass (or weight). In fact, it doesn't "measure" anything. It is set to discharge a specific volume with each stroke. So if black powder is to be dispensed by volume, just set the PPM to discharge the required volume. But you'll need some sort of calibrated device that measures volume. If you want to check the weight, you have to throw a charge into the pan and put the pan on a scale.

Just like with smokeless powder.
Jeepaholic
Old November 27, 2020, 09:34 PM   #10
Scorch

People generally avoid weighing or measuring black powder in equipment that has steel parts due, I suppose, to the potential for ignition. I would not worry about plastic parts.

Measuring scales used to have brass pans. My late 1970s RCBS 10-10 scale does, at least.

If you are worried about weighing powder BP charges, you can make powder dippers out of cut off brass cartridge cases using twisted wire in the extractor groove as handles.

Quote:
Grains is a unit of mass, not volume. Since it isn't possible to measure mass by volume, your statement requires clarification.
Grains are not a measure of mass, they are a measure of weight.

Volumetric powder measures have been around for centuries. They are marked by weight for a volume of black powder, sometimes by granulation. Since BP is hygroscopic, powder weight for a given volume could vary depending on weather conditions, but powder volume would always contain nearly the same volume of powder. It's a simple tool, but very effective.

Last edited by Scorch; November 27, 2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old November 28, 2020, 08:01 AM   #11
mehavey

Volumetric measures provide consistent amounts of an approximate weight.

The volume's actual weight varies by BP manufacturer, grain size, humidity, phase of the moon, and what you ate for breakfast.

Don't worry....
Be happy.
Old November 28, 2020, 10:23 AM   #12
Jim Watson

I forget, did the OP end up with a "paper cutter" Sharps?
He will be fine with volumetric powder charges, much as the typical hunting muzzleloader.

I have known of target muzzleloading shooters to preweigh a day's loads into pill vials.

My main use of black powder has been in BPCR competition where most shooters weigh their loads like the Sharps Rifle Co told them to do 140 years ago. There are a few who use high end volumetric measures with the care a modern benchrest shooter operates his Harrel or Culver.

The other worry over mechanical measures besides their plastic hoppers is the fear of "striking a spark" with a steel drum in an iron housing. If that bothers you, Hornady and Lyman make rotary BP measures with brass moving parts.
Old November 28, 2020, 10:32 AM   #13
Pond, James Pond

Thanks for the insights, folks.

As yet, I have no idea if I'll use this but if BP shooting became a realistic option then it might come in handy which beats sitting at the bottom of a box, forever ignored.

And yes, I got a Sharps which, so far, has spent many an evening being polished and cleaned in front of Netflix.

It also featured in rather a splendid impersonation of of Rooster Cogburn as I stood on the sofa during a few scenes from True Grit.... Who says I don't take BP seriously?!
Old November 28, 2020, 06:15 PM   #14
Jim Watson

The Sharps Carbine appeared in True Grit with Glen Campbell as Texas Ranger la Bouef.
Old November 29, 2020, 03:35 PM   #15
Pond, James Pond

True but Rooster impersonations are more satisfying!