The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 4, 2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Brutus

factory ammo requires hazmat?

Never bought ammo on line. I know powder and primers require a hazmat fee but what about those bulk .22 lr loads?
Old March 4, 2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

No hazmat on loaded ammo that I'm aware of. Bought more than 10,000 rds online over the years, only ever paid for shipping.
Old March 4, 2019, 06:43 PM   #3
FITASC

No hazmat on loaded ammo or even empty, but primed, cases. Hazmat on primers and powders.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 4, 2019, 08:36 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Loaded ammunition does not require a hazmat declaration, but it does require a declaration that it's small arms ammunition. I don't know if that involves a surcharge.
Old March 4, 2019, 08:56 PM   #5
FITASC

It doesn't; the package requires a ORM-D label and it cannot go via USPS
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 4, 2019, 09:43 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It doesn't; the package requires a ORM-D label and it cannot go via USPS
That. ^^

Though, I believe the standards were supposed to have changed a few years back, and it may not technically be "ORM-D" any more. (Some kind of number code designation is more proper, I believe. But I could be wrong. There was a lot of blowback when the regulation change was suggested.)
Old March 4, 2019, 09:56 PM   #7
riffraff

I saw a cool video on testing the safety of ammo, run over, burnt, all sorts of things. In short its probably safer to ship than a can of cheese wiz..

Funny my ammo gets shipped and is dumped on the front steps without even a knock on the door. An order of plastic magazines on the other hand? Adult signature required and I can't even sign a form giving consent to leave it, almost always a takes a trip to the post office a day later - I guess a child could chew on the plastic.