The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2019, 06:41 PM   #26
RC20

Quote:
That would be me also. About now, my reloading areas are sort of expanded across half the house.
Mine is scatter on two separate bench in my shop (well its a shared shop, for anyone thinking about marrying a farm girl think twice, shops are fair game even if they do not do mechanics, all that room, well it has to be filled doesn't ' it?)

My problems are
1. I am over 65 (I don't get nearly as much done as I used to, I like to kick back some)

2. I am the chief dish washer, financial advisor, financial planner, mechanic, plumber and computer expert (toilet cleaner and shower cleaner) and the guy who goes into the crawl space to put in or fish out the other area she took over with all her stuff)
PS: I love my wife, but its not men who want to take over the world, if they do there is a woman who wants more acreage.

So, I want to shoot, I move this around to get to that and back again.

Yes I am working on catching up.

I AM NOT a good example for a reloader, I am a GOOD example of how not to keep your bench (which also is my work bench so if I want to work I have to move stuff)

It could be worse, I have a shop (part of one) My stuff is out of the weather (well the grinder is out bakc under the lean too.)

I fought for and got a small section of the back deck for cutting project in the summer.

I need to retire. I would rather shoot than clean and I have to reload to shoot, sigh.
Old March 18, 2019, 07:21 PM   #27
pwc

"When doing a process"...... Life is a process; you just have to figger out how to order it.

I share my reloading closet with the water heater in back of me. (Feels good in the winter time) Bench with one Pacific (1942) "C" press.Overhead shelvs are for more than my reloading stuff. Workbench stool, outside the door, with powder scale and balance.

Lyman 55 powder measure is mounted to the bench, but there is no vibration from brass prep (already done) to cause inaccurate drops. Prepared brass gets powder drop, seat bullet, move to loading block. Weigh every 5th or 10th depending on cartridege. (Loading blocks are .45 cal plastic trays that comml ammo come in...5 X 10)

Once the powder goes in and visually checked, the case doesn't leave my hand until the case is closed with the bullet. Never had a squib, nor over charge.
Old March 18, 2019, 07:25 PM   #28
GeorgeandSugar

Not bad. Could be a lot worst.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 18, 2019, 10:16 PM   #29
Chainsaw.

I’m very much an (SQUIRREL!!) A.D.D. brain which means I usually have three projects going at once, I’ve tried to function otherwise and even gotten sneers from other, more focused types, but I have come to the conclusion that that is just the way I am. Therefore, yes, my reloading bench gets that messy and worse, but I always know where everything is and it always eventually gets cleaned up and put where it belongs. Go forth young man, and be industrious.
Old March 18, 2019, 10:33 PM   #30
zeke

Any reloading bench looks good with a BHP on it.
Old March 20, 2019, 06:36 PM   #31
Gary Wells

Even though I have re-loaded for 50+ years, I don't think that I have my act together enough to even consider reloading on as unorganized as some of those benches are.
Old March 21, 2019, 01:13 PM   #32
RC20

Quote:
Even though I have re-loaded for 50+ years, I don't think that I have my act together enough to even consider reloading on as unorganized as some of those benches are.
Well that is the interesting thing about human beings (or homo saipians anyway)

I used to be able to remember all the things Chainsaw talks about, not no more.

So, it is better off to be neat, but on the other hand I function fine not being neat.

One does not make anyone better or worse than the other. Often my work has been in very uneat places and it does not bother me. Real neat people can get spiraled to distractions.

I admire neat and accept its not me and it may bother wife but not me.

Now you can call this Chaos or really awful, but I can crank out good ammo amidst the carnage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small Worke Bench.jpg (150.7 KB, 25 views)
Old March 21, 2019, 01:42 PM   #33
Scottcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
Well that is the interesting thing about human beings (or homo saipians anyway)

I used to be able to remember all the things Chainsaw talks about, not no more.

So, it is better off to be neat, but on the other hand I function fine not being neat.

One does not make anyone better or worse than the other. Often my work has been in very uneat places and it does not bother me. Real neat people can get spiraled to distractions.

I admire neat and accept its not me and it may bother wife but not me.

Now you can call this Chaos or really awful, but I can crank out good ammo amidst the carnage.
I can agree to that. No one knows what is going on than the person doing the work. Your bench may not make sense to me and vice versa. I admit ivw had 3 squibs in the 10 years I've been reloading. My fault for all 3, double charges I've had none.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2019, 03:04 PM   #34
zeke

Spent decades working with yuppy pond scum who measured their performance in adherence to some inane "process steps". They awarded themselves accolades for measuring the completion of steps. Most of them refused to just measure what was really important, like the actual results. This particular rant over.
Old March 21, 2019, 09:19 PM   #35
Gary Wells

I agree wholeheartedly to each his/her own.
Old March 21, 2019, 10:32 PM   #36
LineStretcher

I've broken down my reloading/gun room into different areas. I try to work in one area at a time and then clean up after myself. It's still gets a little messed up but it's a lot better than trying to do everything from one small area. I'm fortunate in that I have what was a spare bedroom that I emptied out and turned into my 10x12 reloading/gun room. I have two 6 foot reloading benches with storage above and below.

If all you have is a small area to work in, it's going to get messy but as long as you can keep track of it that way, then who am I to criticize.

This is before I added the cubbies.

Adding in the cubbies cleaned things up a lot.
Old March 22, 2019, 12:00 AM   #37
RC20

Nice!

My wife took over part of my shop, sigh. Farms girls.
Old March 22, 2019, 07:22 AM   #38
zeke

I can honestly say my kitchen and bathroom do not have reloading/gun supplies/work areas in them.
Old March 22, 2019, 11:15 AM   #39
hdbiker

YES hdbiker
Old March 22, 2019, 12:18 PM   #40
briandg

my "bench" is in a storage room in my basement. many houses had this sort of built in during the early 20th century.

the bench is rock solid, ten feet lon, and fastened to wall and floor.

i have two presses permanently mounted and a great deal of that space holds bulky things that are occasionally used just like some people do in their kitchen.
Old March 22, 2019, 02:05 PM   #41
BWM

My space is 3 times larger and has more out of place junk laying on it
Old March 23, 2019, 04:42 AM   #42
Blindstitch

Wow my grandpa who taught me how to reload would flip if my bench looked like that. My grandpa had a small reloading setup. The heavy 2x4 table was maybe 18x36 inches long. Had an rcbs bolt down primer press on the left, Lyman scale in the middle with powder trickler and a turret press on the right.

All the other stuff dies, trimmer, powder, projectiles... lived in a cabinet. The only components allowed to be at the reloading station were the ones being used at that time. No drinks, no tv, no radio, no distractions or everything goes away. Once done everything goes back where it came from.

And that's pretty much how I do mine except I use a Lee hand press because I live in an apartment and don't have room to mount my press to a table.
Old March 23, 2019, 06:25 AM   #43
std7mag

I hate to say..
No, it was like that when i got there.
I've gotten to the point of needing more space, shelves, drawers.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 24, 2019, 02:14 PM   #44
RC20

Me too but my farm girl is in the way!!!!!!!!!!!

Back when I first started work in construction I lived in a 10 ft trailer and had my realoder setup in the (very small) closet. No wife, not a work bench so it worked ok for pistol. All the stuff I have now, no way.

My goal is to get it cleaned up, I also have space issues that I have the space but the layout if not all that good for what I need (small drawers.)