The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1
kart racer

? about side by side atv

Does anyone have a gator or arctic cat prowler,etc..just wondering how ya liked them.Been looking at some land and want to get one,but the choices are overwhelming.
Old January 5, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
NRA4life

I've had a Kawasaki Bayou 300 for 12 years now and have never done anything to it other than change the oil occasionally (and probably not even as many times as I should have). Still has the original tires, brakes, muffler, etc. A good tough hard working machine. I use it almost every day on my property here. FWIW
Old January 5, 2007, 02:53 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

I'm sure there's something that I don't understand about all this, but from what (very) little I do know, it seems to me that a SxS defeats the purpose of an ATV - an ATV needs to be very small; small enough to squeak through tight spaces with trees, shrubs, deadfall, etc, where the hunting pickup truck cannot go, to get you to your hunting spot. If the path is wide enough to get a SxS in there, why not just use the pickup?
Old January 5, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4
BigFunWMU

I work for a landscaping comapny. One of the most versatile machines we have is a 12 yr old JD Gator. We have the 6 wheel model and use it in place of a pickup sized dump truck in tight areas where the truck won't fit, or across lawns where the truck will sink and do damage. It also will go places you wouldn't imagine something loaded like that will go. Up hills, over rough terrain, through mud, it gets run very hard. It is capable of hauling and dumping up to 1/2 cu. yard of dirt or slightly less stone (about 1400 lbs in the box). Steep grades and side hills are not a big problem. The gator is narrower than a pickup truck and will handle much rougher terrain.

The one area this thing has trouble is turning while loaded heavily When loaded like above (almost double rated capacity however) the front wheels don't get enough bite to turn tightly; until you get a couple guys to sit on the brush guard.

This vehicle also gets used for hunting, my company closes down for the first couple days of deer season. Once for bow, once for black powder, once for shotgun etc... Anyway, the gator is what takes the boss and a couple guys out to the woods and the deer stands.

Take the middle wheels off, put a couple hundred pounds in the back and a plow on the front, and it is quite the snow mover.

If you are looking at some hunting property and want to clean up the woods, remove downed trees and brush etc; a gator or similar will be very helpful.

Warning: doing jumps is dangerous.

Warning: riding shotgun while someone else is doing jumps is stupid.
Old January 5, 2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Jseime

Yamaha

Go with a yamaha Rhino.

Yamaha makes the best product on the market today hands down be it dirtbikes, quads, sleds, side-by-sides or watercraft. Ill never ride anything that doesnt have that tuning fork logo on the front. It's worth any extra expense.