The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2022, 10:10 PM   #1
ChimpMunk20

Springfield XD(M) or XD9?

Would someone please tell me which model they recommend more? I'm looking at the XD9 because it's $60 cheaper and comes as a package. (However, I heard the accessories it comes with suck.)

I've read a lot of mixed reviews but I'd really like some feedback from those who own or have used both guns.

Also, this will be my first gun purchase so I'm hoping for some informative responses. Thank you!
Old September 17, 2022, 11:00 PM   #2
Nathan

The xd9 is an excellent mid sized pistol. A dream to shoot. I would get the XD mod 2.

The XD-S is a smaller ccw sized gun. Also a fine gun, but less desired with the Hellcat out now.

For shooting, I mush prefer the xd9.
Old September 18, 2022, 05:16 AM   #3
Adventurer 2

https://www.springfield-armory.com/gear-up-2022/
Whatever you decide do it in the next 12 days and receive 3 free magazines.
Old September 18, 2022, 08:03 AM   #4
kymasabe

I thought XDM is supposed to have a better trigger? Or is that just the Elites?
Old September 18, 2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Nathan

XDM….better….sure….go somewhere that has both and see for yourself. I have handled both, but have never been convinced to buy an XDM. I have owned an xd9, xd40 and xd45. The thing that always got me was how well shaped the grip was and how well I shot/pointed it. That XD9 was probably the most accurate semi-auto I’ve ever shot. It shot as well as my S&W revolvers or Dan Wesson 1911’s. Which is sad since they are one of the lowest cost pistols!

The XD-S was fine. It was my wife’s pistol so it sat in the safe mostly.

I have sold all these except the 45(for sale now) as they really have never stuck to me. I’m more of a 1911 guy. They did outlast the Glocks and CZ’s. I’ve become a bit of a S&W shooter in the last 5 years.
Old September 18, 2022, 08:36 PM   #6
Dave Chuppa

I inherited a XDM 3.8 9mm this past winter. I had shot the XD 9 years ago and liked it but, mostly shot and carried revolvers. After trying this XDM, I fell in love. It’s a pleasure to shoot, not to hard to get used to carrying, and if looks count, I like the looks a lot. If I were to buy one I might not get the full size grip but, I would still want one with a high cap mag. I don’t use the gear it came with. It also came with 4—19 round mags. That’s a plus.
Old September 19, 2022, 03:31 AM   #7
DubC-Hicks

I own both, as well as an XDm Elite OSP and XD9 Mod 2.

They're all great shooters. Magazines for the XD9 and Mod 2 are cheaper and can be found under $20 each. But capacity for the full size model is only 16 compared to 19 for the XDm 9mm, if that matters to you. The XD9 is more concealable because of this, though, as the grip is smaller.
Grip texture on the original XD9 also leaves a lot to be desired, and the Mod 2 and XDm line are much improved. Talon grips can be put on the XD9 to help.
Triggers on all models are very similar, the Elite is the only model with a slightly improved trigger.

For me, it'd all come down to price I was willing to pay and what I was planning on doing with. For a home defense and range gun, I'd go XDm. For possibility of concealed carry, I'd consider the XD9. Or another gun altogether.
Old September 24, 2022, 09:27 AM   #8
Eddiejoe

I have 2 XD9 Mod 2s. They are easy to shoot, they fit well, the grip is textured enough to keep from slipping.
I held the XDm, but it didn't fit my hand well.
Old September 27, 2022, 10:30 PM   #9
platform

M in XDM -- means match barrel.
("...Fully supported ramped match grade barrels offer unprecedented toughness and long life along with accuracy potential typically found only on target guns...")

META stands for Match Enhanced Trigger Assembly.

OSP ready -- optics ready cut

So XD would not have the match match barrel or META trigger
XDM elite would have both
XDM -- would have match barrel, but not META trigger

There is a difference in mags I think somewhere, that i am not capturing in the above.
XDM Elite would be max capacity within a given frame (there is a compact frame as well as full-size frame). The mags from full-size elite frame would fit into compact elite frame (but not the other way around)

somebody correct me if I am wrong, but that's my understanding

@ChimpMunk20 XD vs XDM would reflect how you value the match barrel.
Old September 30, 2022, 09:58 AM   #10
CZRex

you can't go wrong with either.
Old October 4, 2022, 02:23 PM   #11
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZRex View Post
you can't go wrong with either.
Agree 100% The XD pistols seem to be underrated by those not familiar or never having owned one.

I have had both and have since given them to relatives. My only current XD is an XDe 9MM which is out of production.

I liked the XDM for it's looks and the older "tire tread" grip but that's pretty much the only reason. Both performed well, accurate and reliable.

I shot an XD Mod 2 but I didn't like the "Grip Zone" logo on the grip, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the XD Service 9. Great pistols!