The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2022, 03:24 PM   #1
necktweaker

Help me choose daughter’s first shotgun

Hi everybody,

I was hoping for some suggestions for a first shotgun for my 9 year old daughter. She just did her hunter safety, and is looking for something to hunt squirrel and rabbit with.

I’m looking for a 20 gauge.

I’ve been looking at the Remington 870 Express Compact, Mossberg 500 Super Bantam, and TriStar Viper G2 Youth. Although, I’m open to other suggestions.

With my daughter being 9, I’m somewhat concerned about recoil. She’s tall for her age, but not heavy. Is the recoil on the above pump actions much more than the semi-auto? Do you think a semi-auto with a Limbsaver would be manageable for a 9 year old?

Also, I’ve measured her LOP by measuring from the inside of her elbow (bent 90 degrees) to the first (outermost) knuckle on her hand. Her LOP measured 12.25”. Is a 13” LOP going to be difficult for her to shoot with? I plan to take her to a nearby gun shop to see how a few different shotguns fit, but wanted some input beforehand.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses! She’s really excited to start hunting small game!
Old August 31, 2022, 10:41 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

welcome to TFL

Welcome to TFL!!

You asked, so here's my advice.

Forget the pump gun (FOR NOW) ok, if you find a good deal, buy the 870 and stash it away for a few years...

Get her a single shot, cheap but serviceable 20ga and a quantity of LOW POWER (low recoil) ammo.

Get a gun you can cut the stock down to fit her (and add a recoil pad)
She's 9. She's going to grow. A stock that fits her well enough now, won't fit well in 4 or 5 years. THEN its time to bring out the pump.

Get her going now, with a decent but relatively inexpensive gun, because, you know its going to take some knocks here and there. Light 20ga loads will do for squirrels and rabbits, without too heavy recoil. As her skill improves, when SHE feels ready, its easy to move up to more powerful ammo.

The most important thing is not to push her into too big a gun, or too heavy a load too soon. If its hurts, its not fun. If its too heavy, its not fun. If its not fun, she could quickly lose interest, and that's a tough thing to get back, if its even possible.

Start easy, when she's ready for more, she'll let you know.

And congratulations on raising a daughter who is interested. Its not easy, I know, I did it, too, long ago...

Again, welcome to TFL and if we can help with anything, just ask.
Old September 1, 2022, 06:08 AM   #3
Hawg

I would go with a decent semi auto like a Remington 1100 but be prepared to buy a few different stocks as she grows. A single shot is going to have too much recoil. A shotgun has to fit her or its going to hurt and a semi auto will have the least recoil. You can try her with the 13" LOP but be prepared to have it cut down if it doesn't work for her. Kudos to you for getting her started early.
Old September 1, 2022, 11:01 AM   #4
Pahoo

You will never outgrow a 20GA Pump

I was hoping for some suggestions for a first shotgun for my 9 year old daughter. She just did her hunter safety, and is looking for something to hunt squirrel and rabbit with. I’m looking for a 20 gauge.

JMHO; based on the experience I've had, teaching Hunter Safety, to youth and young adults. I too would recommend a 20GA as you will never outgrow it. The 870, has gone through a number of changes but it is "still" that good and hopefully, they still make the "youth"" model. The 500 is a good choice as well.

I mainly instruct in Iowa and out minimum age is 12 but we will accept 11 and hold there certificate when the reach 12. Now then 12-yr. olds, come in all chapes and sizes and we only reschduled one 11yr. old as he was just too small. hated to do that. .....

If she has her certificate and they had live firing, what did she shoot and how did she do?

Tale care and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 1, 2022, 11:29 AM   #5
bladesmith 1

I've seen many 20ga guns kick pretty bad. You'll probably have trouble finding low recoil 20 ga shells so maybe go with a semi auto. As Hawg said, Remington has different length stocks.
That old elbow to wrist means nothing.You want a inch or two between her nose and thumb when the gun is mounted. You can just have her mount a gun and see if a couple of fingers will go between her nose and trigger hand thumb.
You didn't say how much you're willing to spend. A 28ga would be ideal in my opinion. Now that I think about it, a TRI-STAR would be a good deal. A gunsmith friend gave them a thumbs up and he doesn't do that with cheaper foreign guns. My pick would be a 20ga semi or 28ga O/U or semi auto. Good luck.
Old September 1, 2022, 11:30 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A single shot is going to have too much recoil.
That depends on what is being fired from it. And, on the subject of recoil, it might be wise to consider the .410.

I generally do not recommend the .410 for a beginner's general use shotgun. This is because while the light recoil (comparatively speaking) is a plus, the small shot charge and small bore resulting in small patterns makes hitting moving targets (game birds) difficult. I do love the .410, but while its recoil is good for beginners, it takes experience and skill to become a decent wingshot with it, and that can be "off putting" to a beginner. If they can't hit "anything" they're not going to be happy with it.

That's the way it was for me. In my case (and at 14, not 9) I started shotgunning with a .410, missed every bird I shot at, and as soon as I could, I took up the 12 ga, despite the punishment.

Now, for the OP's 9 year old daughter, for a bunney and squirrel gun, a .410 might just be the ticket. Light recoil, and shots taken at standing/sitting game, not flying game, the .410 is good at that.

Look around for one of the old Stevens bolt action .410s or something similar. The old hardware store "store brand" or no name guns are still as good game guns as they were a century ago. There are two general types of the old bolt guns, tube magazine type and box magazine type. I've got the tube fed, and while the box magazine guns are just fine too, the trouble is that many of the one's you're likely to find no longer have their magazines and those magazines are virtual unobtanium, often worth more (due to their rarity) than the guns themselves.

the bolt action .410s are pest/small game guns, not in high demand, and while nothing is cheap anymore, they aren't horribly expensive, generally.

I don't know what you'll find on the internet, but if you look in the gunshops, pawn shops and even yard sales, in and around farming country, these guns show up and often for not a lot of cash.

Again, something with a wood stock, fairly easy to shorten to fit her, now.

Drawsback is the ammo isn't cheap. Usually costs more than bigger more common rounds like the 12 and 20ga.

The big problem with pumps and semis for beginners is mostly that while the youth models might have short stocks that fit them, the rest of the guns are the full size adult scale models and that can result in them being too heavy and awkward for smaller children at the very beginning of their shooting years.

The thought occurred to me, could your (clearly exceptional) 9 year old even cycle the action of a semi auto, by themselves??? Later on, sure, but right now??? Semi shotguns are not the toughest things to use for grownups, but the hand and arm strength of a child beginning might not be quite enough, yet.

At her stage she needs a gun that is light enough for her carry, balanced for her to use and doesn't beat the snot out of her when she shoots. And is adequate for the rabbits and squirrels she's going after. I think an older .410 that can be modified as needed would fill the bill better (at this point in time, for her) than a bigger, heavier, more complicated gun.

IF she keeps her interest in hunting and shooting, she will grow into one of those, probably sooner than you think.
Old September 1, 2022, 01:48 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by 44 AMP
Quote:
A single shot is going to have too much recoil.
That depends on what is being fired from it. And, on the subject of recoil, it might be wise to consider the .410.

I generally do not recommend the .410 for a beginner's general use shotgun. This is because while the light recoil (comparatively speaking) is a plus, the small shot charge and small bore resulting in small patterns makes hitting moving targets (game birds) difficult. I do love the .410, but while its recoil is good for beginners, it takes experience and skill to become a decent wingshot with it, and that can be "off putting" to a beginner. If they can't hit "anything" they're not going to be happy with it.

That's the way it was for me. In my case (and at 14, not 9) I started shotgunning with a .410, missed every bird I shot at, and as soon as I could, I took up the 12 ga, despite the punishment.
While I cannot speak from personal experience, I've often heard that the ideal gun for a beginning shotgunner is a 28 ga as it still offers lighter recoil than the larger bores but it's bigger bore and larger payload make it less challenging to hit with than the .410. The problem, of course, is finding a suitable gun at a reasonable price. I do remember seeing the NEF Pardner single-shot cataloged in 28 gauge before production of them ceased, perhaps the OP might find a used one at a reasonable price.

Another option would be to get a 12 ga and make use of something like the 1 3/4" shells made by Aguila and Federal until she is comfortable moving up the ladder to more powerful ammunition.

Last edited by Webleymkv; September 1, 2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old September 1, 2022, 02:30 PM   #8
gwpercle

I would vote for the 20 gauge . If she could heft it .
My Dad started me off with a .410 ... but that's a real tough gauge to hunt with .
You pattern isn't large and you have to be a good shot , no room for error .
I was about 11 and I had to really work at making that first shot count . I missed a lot ... as soon as I was able I got my grandfathers 20 ga. and didn't look back at the .410 .

The 28 gauge would be great one but there is a gross lack of ammo . At least you can get light field loads in 20 gauge and to be honest the 20 is still my favorite for squirrel and rabbit .
A 20 ga. would still be useful when she has grown a bit .

The best thing is a trip to the range with a couple shotguns and see what She Likes !
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; September 1, 2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old September 1, 2022, 04:11 PM   #9
necktweaker

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and suggestions. I'll do my best to respond to all of the questions / comments.

> You didn't say how much you're willing to spend. A 28ga would be ideal in my opinion.

I'd prefer to keep the firearm cost below $750. I'm happy to spend extra on a stock to fit her better, if necessary. If possible in this price range, I'd like something that will function for a long time and grow with her. I think the cost and limited availability of 28ga right now probably rules it out as a viable option.

> If she has her certificate and they had live firing, what did she shoot and how did she do?

For her hunter safety course, there was no live fire. It was actually all online, and she is limited to only being allowed to hunt small game under direct supervision of a mentor (me) at all times.

> If its too heavy, its not fun.

She has shot .22LR rifles on and off since age 4, and has shot a .22 pistol a few times. So she isn't new to firearms, but I do agree that weight is of concern.

> Light recoil, and shots taken at standing/sitting game, not flying game, the .410 is good at that.

I hadn't thought about the fact that squirrel / bunny would not be flying. I'll have to think about the .410 a bit more.

> The thought occurred to me, could your (clearly exceptional) 9 year old even cycle the action of a semi auto, by themselves???

That's a good point that I don't know the answer to yet. She can cycle the action of my 20 ga pump, but I don't own a semi-auto for her to try.

> The best thing is a trip to the range with a couple shotguns and see what She Likes !

Ideally, I would take her to a range and she could try / rent various guns first. There don't seem to be ranges nearby that rent shotguns. There is a youth shotgun club in town. Maybe they'd be willing to let her come to a meetup and try a few.
Old September 1, 2022, 08:52 PM   #10
105kw

I am a firm believer in, for a beginner keeping it simple.
With a single shot shotgun, it is easy to load, and empty. Also light for a younger shooter.
Dealing with rabbits, and squirrels a .410 should be plenty.
When she gets older, upgrade to a pump, or semi.
Old September 2, 2022, 05:17 PM   #11
kymasabe

Ok, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here, having taught both my daughters to shoot when they were there 10.
My go-to was a remington 870 youth with a 20 inch barrel. The stock was a little long but they grew into it very quickly. I'd see if the Magpul shotgun furniture fits a 20 gauge, as their LOP starts at 12 and goes in 1/2 inch increments to 14 or so.
Old September 2, 2022, 05:50 PM   #12
Doc Intrepid

Just in the for what its worth column -

(And I also taught my youngsters to shoot when they were 8 and 7...but they were boys)

Stock length made a big difference for my kids in terms of comfort and ability to hit what they're shooting at.

I agree with .44 AMP regarding getting a stock you can cut way down to fit them with a pad installed.

Purchase a shotgun that its easy to change out stocks for, and as they get older just purchase different stocks. It worked for me.
Old September 2, 2022, 10:45 PM   #13
bamaranger

thoughts

Big issues will be fit, heft and simplicity. While a 20 ga pump is a versatile and practical gun, it is very likely to big, complex and a bit of a kicker for a 9 yr old.

I'd agree that the .410 is a weak sister to any 20 ga, but for bunnies and squirrels, ,which are largely stationary targets, the .410 will do fine. My Dad and I killed a ton of bunnies (ahead of beagles) with .410's, we both used the cartridge.

The trick to taking small game with a .410 is to pick the correct loading. Correct choice of shot size is critical. Due to its small payload, one must use shot smaller than typically used in larger gauges. Dad and I both shot the 3 inch shell with #7-1/2 shot. If forcede h to use the 2-1/2" shell, #8 shot will work, but longer #7-1/2 load is better.

At all cost AVOID the commonly seen #4 and #6 shot for the .410. These loads are often seen in the bulk stores, and get ordered/stocked by folks who simply order the same shot sizes for all gauges. The .410 has to be loaded differently to be effective. To get a useful, lethal pattern, one must use smaller shot. Yes, #6 will work, but is much interior to the long 7-1/2 load.

I'm not a big fan of hammers for beginners, and so I'd search about for one of the old bolt action Mossberg or Stevens bolt guns.
Old September 3, 2022, 09:36 AM   #14
dahermit

An elegant solution would be a Winchester 101 in 20 gauge.
Old September 3, 2022, 04:50 PM   #15
kymasabe

I'll add...my brother taught me to shoot at 10, with an Ithaca model 66, single shot 12 gauge. That thing weighed a ton, was hammer fired, and had a 28 or 30 inch barrel (I can't remember which).
Don't assume she can't handle a little recoil.
After teaching my girls to shoot at 10 with a Ruger 10/22, my oldest daughter jumped right up to an AK and her Rem 870 20 gauge pump. That kid enjoys recoil.
Yours might too !! Good posture, good stance, good grip, and the right size gun...and recoil is just plain fun!
Old September 4, 2022, 09:09 AM   #16
Rob228

I started out with a 20 gauge 870 youth model and my dad still ended up cutting close to two inches off of the stock initially. I've still got it, it would be going to my daughter in a year and a half when she turns ten but when she was born I got a great deal on an 870 LW Special with the stock cut down to youth model dimensions.
Old September 4, 2022, 12:33 PM   #17
Hawg

I didn't get to shoot a shotgun until I was 11. I guess dad thought I was too small. He took me to a turkey shoot and let me shoot two targets with his model 12 Winchester 12 gauge with no recoil pad. I was so excited I don't remember any recoil. When we got home he gave me an 1887 Winchester 12 gauge with a checkered steel butt plate.
Old September 4, 2022, 10:36 PM   #18
Blindstitch

Get the Mossberg 500 Super bantam in 20 gauge. Unless the people on here know what they are they have no clue what they are. I got my wife one and she loves it. She's a hair under 5 foot. We did the single shot route and if you asked my wife she would give anyone suggesting that an earfull. She hated the rossi 410/22 single shot. The 410 barrel hasn't been on since. But it has a laser sharp 22 barrel once you put a real scope on it.

Get the super bantam. It is a super short stock maybe 12 inches with the stock section and recoil pad. The think the second stock piece brings it up to 14 inches length of pull with recoil pad. And since we thought it being super light was a problem I filled a bag inside the stock with sand and sealed it. The gun is a soft shooter. I know my wife isn't going to grow but if I cared beyond the bantam stock I could just go to Numrich and get a regular 20 gauge stock for it for maybe $20.

Get the super bantam and have fun. Later when she needs more add the stock sections.

https://www.mossberg.com/500-youth-s...ose-54210.html
Old September 5, 2022, 05:08 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
Get the Mossberg 500 Super bantam in 20 gauge. Unless the people on here know what they are they have no clue what they are. I got my wife one and she loves it. She's a hair under 5 foot. We did the single shot route and if you asked my wife she would give anyone suggesting that an earfull. She hated the rossi 410/22 single shot. The 410 barrel hasn't been on since. But it has a laser sharp 22 barrel once you put a real scope on it.

Get the super bantam. It is a super short stock maybe 12 inches with the stock section and recoil pad. The think the second stock piece brings it up to 14 inches length of pull with recoil pad. And since we thought it being super light was a problem I filled a bag inside the stock with sand and sealed it. The gun is a soft shooter. I know my wife isn't going to grow but if I cared beyond the bantam stock I could just go to Numrich and get a regular 20 gauge stock for it for maybe $20.

Get the super bantam and have fun. Later when she needs more add the stock sections.

https://www.mossberg.com/500-youth-s...ose-54210.html
I think that's the best suggestion I've heard yet.
Old September 5, 2022, 05:31 PM   #20
ammo.crafter

1st shotgun

From personal experience, my very slightly built daughter started with and remains with a 12ga shotgun.

Some believe that a 20ga offers a "lighter" felt recoil when in a light weight gun.

I am a reloader and constructing light 12ga rounds is simple and you will be able to tailor the rounds to your daughter’s growing experience.

A semi-auto offers less felt recoil but will be heavier than a pump or single shot. My daughter’s first shotty was a single barrel and did have a hard kick. Switching to a semi worked out so much better.

After mastering the basics she switched to a O/U Ruger Red Label and has been shooting it for many years. Her favorite sport is rabbits and springing teal reports doubles.

She puts me to shame. Good luck!

Last edited by ammo.crafter; September 5, 2022 at 05:37 PM. Reason: premature send
Old September 5, 2022, 08:44 PM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd go with a 20 guage Rem 870 with a youth stock. You can always put an adult stock on later. If not that, the Mossberg 500 with a youth stock.
Old September 5, 2022, 09:00 PM   #22
Hawg

My step daughter started shooting my 12 gauge SXS when she was 14. She loved it. She tried my 20 gauge SXS and said it kicked too hard. Neither one had a recoil pad. Fit does matter.
Old September 7, 2022, 06:48 AM   #23
Fishbed77

I agree with a few others here that gas-operated semi-auto is an excellent first shotgun that she won’t quickly outgrow. Even at 12-gauge, it will have less felt recoil than a 20-gauge pump.

To fit your budget, I would be looking for a used 1100 or 11-87 and a youth stock.
Old September 7, 2022, 09:12 AM   #24
skywag

It would be a Remington 1100/20g all day long
Old September 7, 2022, 06:20 PM   #25
necktweaker

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I have a few ideas for what might work.

I’ve explained the differences between .410 and 20 gauge to her, and single shot vs pump vs semi.

I’m going to take her to a gun shop, let her “try on” the various firearms they have in stock to see how they fit her, and let her choose.

Tags
youth