The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 19, 2022, 04:00 AM   #1
highpower3006

New Sig P210

I recently won an auction on Gunbroker for a Sig P210 Standard. I have been wanting one of these for a while and finally got of my duff and made it happen. this one was listed as used, but it looks absolutely new and came with four magazines and an extra set of grips made by Armory Craft.
https://www.armorycraft.com/product-...n-p-210-pistol

First impression of it is that it is absolutely the smoothest gun out of the box that I have ever handled. The trigger is light and crisp, quite possibly the best single action trigger I have ever pulled and I have a few tuned revolvers and autos that also have very good triggers.

While it is an all steel gun, it doesn't feel heavy in my hands and it naturally points with the sights lining up on target.

I made it out to the range the other day, the weather was abysmal with rain varying from a medium drizzle to a downpour. I brought the P210, my West German P226, a Glock 19x and my MKE AP5 (MP5 clone). I fiddled around with the AP5 first to sight in the new red dot and then broke out the pistols.

The P210 is everything you have heard and maybe a bit more. Wonderfully smooth cycling and the trigger makes it hard to make excuses about your poor shooting. All shooting was done offhand with the rain soaking me and a breeze blowing across the range at about 5mph.

At 7 yards I was able to make basically one ragged hole about 1 1/4" in diameter (2mags). At 25 yards it opened up to about 3 1/2". Neither the P226 or the G19x were able to come close to that performance.

I didn't save the targets due to then turning into a soggy lump of paper that self destructed as I was trying to remove them. After about an hour, I was soaked to the skin and was starting to shake like a dog pooping tin foil so I called it quits.

I installed the Armory Craft grips on it and I really, really like the way they fit my hand. While I think that aesthetically the wood grips look better, the AC grips have a more aggressive texture which aids in holding on to it in wet conditions and they have more palm swell, ergonomically they feel better to me.

Old August 19, 2022, 06:48 AM   #2
Wag

Very nice!

--Wag--
Old August 19, 2022, 01:56 PM   #3
jackstrawIII

Excellent. Enjoy it.
Old August 19, 2022, 08:57 PM   #4
chris in va

Super jealous. I've been eyeing one if these for a while to replace my CZ that broke. Interesting about those grips, I'll keep that in mind if I get one.
Old August 20, 2022, 12:37 AM   #5
rock185

I've been a 210 fan since the '80s, and have owned a few. No matter if of Swiss, German or American manufacture, I like them all. The precise fit of the 210 barrel/slide/frame makes some other quality pistols feel a bit on the loose side. Enjoy your new 210.
Old August 20, 2022, 09:25 AM   #6
highpower3006

A fellow I know that has connections with the factory said that Sig puts extra effort into the US made P210's. I would tend to believe it as the inside of mine is as finely finished as the outside. I mean that literally, there is not a single machine mark on the inside of it.

As nice as my West German P226 is, the P210 is just a bit better.

Last edited by highpower3006; August 20, 2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old August 20, 2022, 10:01 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Tell me about the magazine extension. How many rounds does that get you up to?
Old August 20, 2022, 11:17 AM   #8
Drm50

Very nice pistol. I’m not a big 9mm fan so when I get them they go straight to trade pile. I do have a Competition model HP that is the most accurate CF auto pistol I ever shot. The 210 is suppose to be the best. I watched Hickok video on this pistol and was disappointed that he didn’t demonstrate its accuracy. I don’t feel the price is out of line when compared to many other import target 9mms. I would buy one if I though I could shoot it better than the HP. Still will pick one up if a deal comes up. Notice I said, if I could shoot it better. I’m circling the bowl as far as bullseye shooting at 72.
Old August 20, 2022, 11:30 AM   #9
highpower3006

Quote:
Tell me about the magazine extension. How many rounds does that get you up to?
It's not a mag extension per se it's just an extended floor plate. That magazine came with the gun, so initially I had no idea of what the purpose of that floor plate was for. Then I figured out it was for the target model as the grips on them protrude below the grip frame enough so the extended floor plate is needed to insure positive magazine seating.

Quote:
Very nice pistol. I’m not a big 9mm fan so when I get them they go straight to trade pile. I do have a Competition model HP that is the most accurate CF auto pistol I ever shot. The 210 is suppose to be the best. I watched Hickok video on this pistol and was disappointed that he didn’t demonstrate its accuracy. I don’t feel the price is out of line when compared to many other import target 9mms. I would buy one if I though I could shoot it better than the HP. Still will pick one up if a deal comes up. Notice I said, if I could shoot it better. I’m circling the bowl as far as bullseye shooting at 72.
I turn 71 in a couple of months. I have arthritis in my wrists and while I can still shoot higher powered handguns, the day after shooting something like a .44 magnum, my wrists ache like the dickens. It is a condition that has been creeping up on me for years and as a consequence, I have adapted my shooting to minimize the discomfort.

While I am never going to get rid of my larger caliber handguns, I have found that I can shoot 9mm without any pain the following day. And while I love my .45acp 1911's and still shoot them from time to time when I head out to the range, I almost always bring a 9mm handgun or two.

This got me to thinking and I counted my selection of 9mm guns. I currently have two dozen 9mm pistols and a couple 9mm PCC's, so my investment in 9mm guns is pretty extensive. I think I may have a problem here.....

Last edited by highpower3006; August 20, 2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old August 20, 2022, 01:38 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Quote:
It's not a mag extension per se it's just an extended floor plate.
I see.
GGI showed a magazine extension that would get it up to 10 (for IDPA ESP or USPSA L10) but always in conjunction with a collaboration with one of those tacticool companies that added a lot of stuff I do not need or want to pay for.
Old August 20, 2022, 02:31 PM   #11
hammie

The target version has the same grip frame, but longer grips. The target magazine holds 9 rounds and the standard magazine holds 8 rounds. You could use the 9 round magazine in the standard version, but the magazine would extend beyond the grip frame bottom, unless you changed to target grips. Or, you could use the standard magazine is the target gun by changing to standard grips.
Old August 22, 2022, 06:06 AM   #12
bac1023

Very nice

They are outstanding pistols...

Last edited by bac1023; August 22, 2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old August 24, 2022, 06:00 PM   #13
chris in va

I had the chance to handle a 210 Carry. It was nice, smooth feel and good ergos. I was a little surprised at the trigger. Some takeup with hammer camming then sorta decent letoff. Frankly it felt like a slightly better SA CZ stock trigger, I was expecting better. It was certainly not what I would pay $1500 for.
Old August 24, 2022, 06:32 PM   #14
zeke

Both the the older and newer 210s owned have the 2 stage trigger. The first stage cam action is light, while the second stage break is very light. Am guessing most do not try to go to the second stage and hold it, but just pull the trigger the whole through. Just guessing, as the first thing i did to my 210A was clean the excessive amount of grease out of the trigger action. Am also guessing some may not realize it is a 2 stage as the second stage is so light.
Old August 24, 2022, 10:02 PM   #15
sevt_chevelle

Armory Craft has a few things for those 210s. They do have mag extensions.
Old August 26, 2022, 08:34 AM   #16
Tom C.

I first got to try a SIG P210 around 1968. Best trigger I had seen on a handgun. It wasn’t until ’07 that I found a 210 when I had the money to buy it as well. It is a 210-6, made in 1985. It came with the cheap plastic grips; I replaced them with checkered, wood, NIL grips. I also had to put on an extension to the tang. Hammer bite was the worst I have ever seen. Now it is a sweetheart. My wife, who doesn’t shoot much, loves it, too. It is her preferred gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3105.JPG (509.5 KB, 37 views)
Old September 16, 2022, 09:20 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
I’m circling the bowl as far as bullseye shooting at 72.
I'm 79-you can do it; even with irons. Just don't expect to find yourself on the podium at the end of the day.
Old September 17, 2022, 09:56 PM   #18
ChimpMunk20

Excellent, I have always wanted one.
Do they come with 3 mags if bought brand new?
Old September 20, 2022, 07:49 AM   #19
chaim

I handled a P210 Carry at the store last week. It took all my willpower for my credit card or debit card not to come out. I have never spent that much on a gun, and until handling and dry firing that P210 I never even considered spending that kind of money on a gun that didn't have the numbers 1911 in the name.
Old September 20, 2022, 10:51 AM   #20
wild cat mccane

So...

Is there anything to the comment above that the trigger has take up and the hammer cams?
Old September 20, 2022, 12:15 PM   #21
micromontenegro

I can only speak about the Swiss ones. In those, the standard grade pistols have a two stage trigger in which the first stage cams the hammer a bit. Shades of safe action decades before, LOL. The target grade ones (210-5, 210-6 et al) don't cam the hammer at all.
Old September 20, 2022, 12:54 PM   #22
Sevens

I am not a trigger snob (according to ME) because I can enjoy almost all triggers, however I VERY much appreciate a very good trigger and because of that, I own many handguns with fantastic triggers.

For a "comes just like this when you buy it" trigger on a gun made TODAY, the P210-A is a fantastic trigger. At the same time I can tell you that it's a different experience than all of my other handguns. You could make one argument that it has three distinct stages. The first stage is take-up, the second stage begins and it offers more resistance at the final stage.

Like I said, I have no other triggers like this one, but this one definitely works and it is nice.

Last edited by Sevens; September 20, 2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old September 26, 2022, 02:31 PM   #23
rock185

Reference the 210 two stage triggers, within my humble experience the first stage cams back the hammer on all of them, then there is a light clean break. IIRC, I've had two -6s, two -2s, 3 German 210s, and now the American made 210A. My 210s had total trigger weights between 3# and 3 1/2#. Close as I can measure, that second stage break to drop the hammer is only about one pound.

Like Sevens, I have no other triggers like these.
Old September 27, 2022, 10:07 PM   #24
Mosin44az

My 210 Standard is the one gun all my buddies want to buy off me. Won’t happen.
Old September 28, 2022, 02:19 PM   #25
Smaug

Congratulations. That is a dream gun of mine.

I kind of wish you said it was not as good as you thought. ;-)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer