The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2022, 06:56 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

I just couldn't help myself. Benelli M1014

I went into Dick's with a friend so he could get a new rifle case.

I saw they had a Benelli on the shelf. Talked to the gun counter guy. He said they had it for over a year and it just wasn't selling so they had marked it down to get rid of it. $1800 + tax. Mind you this is the neutered civilian one with the adjustable stock that doesn't adjust and the mag with the 5 round limiter.

So I thought "this is Dick's. Their prices aren't that great, I'll find one online and order it."

But to my surprise $1800 was about as good a price as I could find, plus ordering online, I'd have to pay shipping and transfer at my LGS.

So I went back to Dick's and picked it up. Promptly ordered the 3 position stock tube and a 7 round mag tube. Taking it to the gunsmith this coming week to have the parts installed.

Did I need another Benelli when I already have a M2 Tac? Well... No. But do I like the M4 better than the M2? Yeah. And when I get it back from the gunsmith I'll like it even better. Probably going to sell the M2.

And yes I know this thread is useless without pics so give me a few minutes to upload one.
Old June 19, 2022, 06:59 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Old June 19, 2022, 07:02 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

Also anyone have experience with the Mesa Tactical shell saddle? I'm looking at getting one.

Are they good? Are they junk? What do you think?

https://www.mesatactical.com/product...-5-1-2-in.html
Old June 19, 2022, 11:36 AM   #4
L-2

Very nice find, with that Benelli M4.
Comments, from my perspective (not right/wrong):

-Keep the M2 as it's always good to have a spare shotgun around, especially if the manual-of-arms is similar, as the M2 and M4 are.

-I've not tried a Mesa Tactical side-saddle. On my Remington and Mossberg pumps, my Tacstar side-saddles have been working fine for a couple of decades now.

-And lately, I've been using Velcro-type shell holders which work fine, even preferred, for their quick removal/replacement. I recommend these, even though you'd have to stick on some Velcro to the receiver.
https://esstac.com/shotgun/

-I noticed the Mesa Tactical holder, as linked, has a built-in Pic rail, whereas the M4 pictured, already comes with its own Pic rail.
Old June 19, 2022, 02:39 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I noticed the Mesa Tactical holder, as linked, has a built-in Pic rail, whereas the M4 pictured, already comes with its own Pic rail.
Yeah, that's how it attaches. You take the factory rail off and screw the Mesa rail/ shot saddle on.
Old June 21, 2022, 12:18 PM   #6
10-96

Dick's Sporting Goods? I thought they got out of the firearms business a year or two ago? We don't have one around here, but I do recall them being in the news and forums a lot some time back.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 21, 2022, 05:03 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Yeah, Dick's sporting goods.

They stopped selling pistols and AR type rifles. But they still have bolt actions, lever guns, and apparently the occasional Benelli M4
Old June 21, 2022, 08:37 PM   #8
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
I looked at one of these a few weeks ago, I think it was less expensive, but maybe I'm wrong. Very nice indeed.
Old June 22, 2022, 01:37 PM   #9
Siggy-06

I've heard adding a side saddle on inertia driven shotguns can cause feeding issues, though I havent tested it myself. I have a M2 tactical that I keep stock, never needed to change a thing on it for it's purpose.
Old June 22, 2022, 03:47 PM   #10
Willie Lowman

The M2 is a inertia action. The 1014 or M4 model has twin gas pistons under the barrel.

My M2 tactical doesn't run 100% on low brass birdshot. The M4 will cycle anything. Or it has so far...
Old July 17, 2022, 04:26 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

Got my Benelli back from the gunsmith with the adjustable stock and, 7 round tube, and Mesa tac shell carrier installed.

It is now more difficult to disassemble for some reason. The barrel is very hard to pull out of the receiver and likewise to put it back in I had to put it against the floor and push hard to get it all the way in... So I'm wondering if the mag tube is crooked or something.

If the rain stops I'll shoot it today and see if things get better... Or worse.
Old July 17, 2022, 08:47 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

On further inspection the barrel is not rubbing against the magazine. But when the barrel extension gets about half way into the receiver it gets tight.

I wonder if the gunsmith warped the receiver putting too much heat to it to break the lock tight loose or something.

----------------------

After taking it apart and putting it back together about a dozen times it is getting easier. I can see wear on the finish inside the receiver on the left side where the barrel extension is rubbing against it. When it was new the barrel came right out and went in without trouble. Now that I have gotten it back it seems a little out of whack. But I think if I keep it lubed and take down / reassemble several more times things will smooth out.

It rained all weekend so I haven't taken it out to shoot since I got it back. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll get a chance.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; July 17, 2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old July 19, 2022, 04:25 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

After removing and reinstalling the barrel about 20 or so times the finish has worn off in this spot you can see in this pic...

It still isn't as easy to remove/ reinsert the barrel as when it was new but it's no longer what I would call "hard"
Old July 21, 2022, 09:49 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm surprised that Dick's didn't make you sign a sworn statement that you would never, ever make any changes to its configuration and under no circumstances would you never never never ever ever ever put shells in it or fire it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 16, 2022, 10:21 PM   #15
dgludwig

What's involved in installing a magazine extension on the M4? Do you really need a gunsmith?
Thanks.
Old September 17, 2022, 10:06 PM   #16
ChimpMunk20

I also own a M4 tactical, they are one of the mot accurate semi auto shotguns.