The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2022, 01:17 PM   #1
iosteyee

Recommendations: 20 ga Turkey for youth

A friend just called and asked me this question. As stated, I am not a shotgun aficionado, but I said I'd post and ask. He has a son who's starting turkey hunting this spring, and asked for shotgun recommendations. They'll want a good, quality gun that will last, and a soft shooter. Thanks again for help figuring this out.
Old March 31, 2022, 02:06 PM   #2
Pahoo

Tell us about the "Youth"

Quote:
He has a son who's starting turkey hunting this spring, and asked for shotgun recommendations.
You are going to get a lot of input on this one and from what you are asking, I'd go with the Rem. 20ga. 870 youth model. ......

Wish you had more detail on the kid because it makes a difference. This 20Ga will last you a lifetime but would soon be outgrown and under-powered; so what ??? Keep in mind that he probably would only get one shot and if you have a "Padded" stock, he "probably won't feel it. ......

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 31, 2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old March 31, 2022, 03:09 PM   #3
stinkeypete

Pahoo is right. But 20 gauge is no joke.

With the new tungsten ammo, folks are Turkey hunting with 28 gauge and .410. The stuff is much denser than lead so where you might use no.4 in lead they are using number 9 shot with the same pellet density per square inch and same penetration.

It’s real expensive, but how many Turkey shells do you shoot per year?

You can always put on a longer pad, and the thing about youth guns is someone will always be having kids. And more women shooting now, needing smaller guns. Plus little guys like me tired of cutting their stocks down.
Old March 31, 2022, 03:42 PM   #4
MarkCO

Totally agree with post #3.

Turkey hunting is about power and a tight pattern, so "low recoil" is not really a thing.

A 20g, fit right, with a Red dot, if legal, is probably one of the best Deer/Turkey set-ups you can get. I'd prefer a 20g over a 12g for Slugs and Turkey loads.

BUT, if you wants to play clay sports and waterfowl hunt, then the 20g is a handicap and I'd suggest a 12g.

Recoil management is more about fit and technique than the pure recoil impulse. I have 90 pound girls shooting 12g in Trap whose father's had them shooting a 20g that hurt them more.
Old March 31, 2022, 05:09 PM   #5
jmr40

I bought an 870 Youth for me to hunt with several years ago. But at the time didn't find any shells that shot tight enough for me to be comfortable with. So, the gun collected dust in the back of the safe for several years while I kept using my 12.

But 2 years ago I decided to try some different ammo and found a load that I'm confident in out to at least 35 yards.

This:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020144367?pid=856187

I'd tried this and it patterned poorly. The only difference I can see is 1185 fps vs 1000 fps. The slower ammo shot MUCH tighter patterns. Choosing the right shell is much more critical if you're going to use a smaller gun.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023545574?pid=328422

I'm hearing reports of guys killing birds at 60-70 yards with some of the newer shells, but some of those are $15-$20 every time you pull the trigger. Too expensive for me.

Winston Churchill
Old April 1, 2022, 02:07 PM   #6
bamaranger

XX v. XR loads

The Win XR load uses a frangible resin to cushion it's shot column. You can cut a shell apart and have a "plug", completely intact, of shot//resin. The XR has been the tightest lead load in any of my gobbler guns.

The XX load cushions it's shot with the usual powdery mix. I shot it for many years, til I switched to the XR when it hit the market. Good load but not the equal of the XR. I find the XR load nearly a liability, TOO tight inside 30 yds if you're not absolutely ON when the gun goes off. Zero room for error. Once the leaves come out, I ditch the XR and shoot the more forgiving XX.

Another vote for a 870. If the kid stays in the sport, he can upgrade to "space shot", add an adult stock and still have plenty of gun for gobblers. Also the 20ga is a useful small game gun as well.

"Space shot" too expensive for me too! . Lead has worked just fine at sensible ranges for years.
Old April 1, 2022, 05:04 PM   #7
stinkeypete

I just bought 1 1/4 oz Remington Nitro Turkey 20 ga loads for pheasant hunting.

I used 1 1/4 oz 12 ga last season. The 20 gauge is about $36 for 30 while 12 gauge is about $28 for 25.

Last pheasant season I think I used about 35 12 ga. shells (for 13 birds! I am thinking that’s pretty good for me!)

The REAL difference would be when we need steel shot. Then, a big load will compensate for lost density.

As for skeet.. I used to shoot 1 oz target loads from my 12, I don’t see 7/8 a big disadvantage. When I miss, I miss big!
Old April 2, 2022, 08:24 AM   #8
Drm50

I use a 12g but the kids using 20-3” have no trouble killing Turkey with #4 & #5s. They ain’t shooting 50 and 60yds either. Here in Ohio we have to use a shotgun. I only hunt here with shotgun to take kids and some older buddies. Most all are shooting 20-3” and Rem 870 or Rem 1100. Of course they all have some kind of super Turkey choke they swear by.
A guy that lives about a mile from me torments the non resident hunters. The Turkey Commandos he calls them. They have latest clothes, calls, decoys, guns, ect. He makes it a point to go out with a Hawiian flowered shirt, straw hat with rubber lizard and beer opener,
a call made from 35mm film container and an old single shot 410. Gets his bird every year.
Old April 10, 2022, 10:59 PM   #9
bamaranger

every year

Scouting and woodsmanship will go a long way on killing turkeys. Several guys in my area make calls from the old film canisters and they sound great.

Until the advent of TSS shot for the .410, I would never advise it as a gobbler gun, though at 20-25 yards and the right lead shell it would work. CLOSE would be the trick

The "hula-hunter" may be a great woodsman and a turkey master, I dunno.........

We had a guy locally that was always berating hardcore turkey hunters, and producing beards and spurs of trophy proportion on a regular basis, bragging how easy gobbler hunting was.

At his funeral, family displayed a number of his kill photos.......corn and a scoped rifle