The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 1, 2024, 06:02 PM   #1
jaytex1969

Norma 9MM 108gr MHP

I just bought a few boxes of this on deep discount.

Monolithic Hollow Point copper projectile.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with these?
Old February 2, 2024, 08:36 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

First hand, no. Based on the testing/reviews I have seen online they do not meet minimum FBI penetration standards. Other than that they open fast and the open big. I will stick with my 124g HST.
Old February 2, 2024, 10:46 PM   #3
44caliberkid

No first hand experience. The new American Handgunner has a test of the Girsan High Power and they used that ammo for part of it. It chronoed at 1113 fps and grouped 2.06 inches.
Old February 3, 2024, 01:27 PM   #4
DaleA

Norma 9MM 108gr MHP.

I think we're looking at the same ads. I bought a couple boxes but haven't tried them out yet. If nothing else they'll be good for range practice if they don't jam and the ads were VERY emphatic that they don't jam...we'll see.
Old February 4, 2024, 01:50 PM   #5
jaytex1969

Thanks for the input, fellas.
Old February 4, 2024, 09:30 PM   #6
Sharkbite

My issue with light for caliber bullets that expand rapidly is penetration. If i could guarantee a full on frontal shot on a lightly clad attacker, that did not have to go through an arm first….maybe.

But i dont get to pick the shot like in a hunting situation. My attacker may be on the other side of a car window with his arm between us.

I chose heavy for caliber bullets (230 in 45, 180 in 40, 147 in 9mm). If i get some expansion…good, but i want to get into that FBI depth standard first. Any expansion at those depths can only help.

This is speaking of PISTOL velocities. Rifles get more benefit from static shock imparted from velocities well in excess of pistols. A medium weight varmint bullet at rifle velocities is devastating to unarmored people of ill intent. ������
Old February 5, 2024, 02:30 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Norma test barrel is 6" long.

Should tell you much.

That said, the 115gr Barnes bullet is the only 115gr bullet Roberts gave the okay to.

I think that's why the 380 Federal DEEP works. It's a mix of more copper then spire point.

I do not believe you can do better than PDX, Gold Dot, Saber, and my favorite of HST. Critical Duty purposefully excluded. Anything else is looking to be creative to get what these consistently do well with expansion and penetration.

I do believe the HST Micro 150gr is the magical 9mm on the market and does it at under 1000fps from an at or <3" barrel.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; February 5, 2024 at 02:35 PM.