The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 6, 2021, 05:13 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

.444 Marlin H&R Handi-Rifle.
One Elk, many chickens, a couple rabbits, a coyote or two, probably some squirrels.

You only need one bullet if you put it where it needs to go.
Old April 6, 2021, 08:26 PM   #27
Geezerbiker

There are a lot of guys hunting with H&R single shot rifles. I've hunting with one too but I can't blame the rifle for hunts were I didn't see any game...

I really get PO'ed at black tail deer. They're thick in town from fall though winter and near impossible to find out where they're legal to hunt during hunting season.

Tony
Old April 7, 2021, 03:00 PM   #28
Paul B.

I've been hunting with single shots since 1975 through to 2009. I started elk hunting on a private ranch in New Mexico in 2010 and they don't allow single shot rifles. Go figure. I've taken six elk off that place in six shots yet I'm not allowed to bring one of my Ruger #1s to take my elk. Their rule so I go along.
Paul B.
Old April 9, 2021, 09:04 AM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Only hunt what this State has to offer. Some time ago I gave up traveling to different States to hunt. Expensive chancy and many of those I knew well whom offered me their hospitality in different States have passed.
In regards to big game here Whitetails top my list. So over time I read & listened to professionals which includes our Game Wardens.
Put into practiced those Tips that worked for me.
Staying on point.
Every now and then I prefer a little less weight to tote. Especially so on Still Hunts. So on those days. I happen to have a Savage 219. Not exactly a power house cartridge does it shoot. But carefully aimed with a little patience a 219 single shot it will get the job done in one firing. Having that rifle in hand I carry a limited amount of cartridges. 3 to be exact. That's all I ever needed just.__>3--30-30s

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; April 9, 2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old April 9, 2021, 09:45 AM   #30
7.62 man

The only single shot guns I own are my muzzleloader & a old .410 shotgun. I always try to have a backup shot ready, fortunately I have only had to use it one time when my 12ga slug clipped a limb & hit the deer high. I had to use another shot to finish him off.