The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 24, 2022, 10:58 AM   #126
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Ruger had a run of their 24" M77 Hawkeye Africans chambered in them.

Very nice rifles.

6.5x55mm


9.3x62mm




Red
Beautiful rifles, Red. I know that a lot of companies stop running lines of calibers due to popularity. Makes good business sense, but it is a shame. 257 Roberts is another good round you can hardly find anymore. 25-06. I have also noticed that quite a few of the newer rifles are dropping the 270 Win. Can't even get an M77 in 270 anymore.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old September 25, 2022, 11:38 AM   #127
Red Devil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2010
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Beautiful rifles, Red. I know that a lot of companies stop running lines of calibers due to popularity. Makes good business sense, but it is a shame. 257 Roberts is another good round you can hardly find anymore. 25-06. I have also noticed that quite a few of the newer rifles are dropping the 270 Win. Can't even get an M77 in 270 anymore.
Winchester still has their non-MB M70 EW/SS/.270 Win in production.


Was in the market for another .270 Winchester?

... would be looking very hard at the current Remington M700 CDL/SF.


24" Bbl'ed 416 stainless/fluted barreled action w/ 5R rifling.

Very nice.




Red
Red Devil is offline  
Old September 25, 2022, 05:00 PM   #128
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Winchester still has their non-MB M70 EW/SS/.270 Win in production.


Was in the market for another .270 Winchester?

... would be looking very hard at the current Remington M700 CDL/SF.


24" Bbl'ed 416 stainless/fluted barreled action w/ 5R rifling.

Very nice.




Red
This is mine


Last edited by USAF Ret; September 25, 2022 at 05:26 PM.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old September 25, 2022, 08:58 PM   #129
Red Devil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2010
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
This is mine

Those are really nice.

Looked at'em for the longest, in both .260 Rem and .270 Win.

... and then they were gone.




Red
Red Devil is offline  
Old September 26, 2022, 07:49 AM   #130
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Those are really nice.

Looked at'em for the longest, in both .260 Rem and .270 Win.

... and then they were gone.




Red
I got this one from an estate sale. Looked like it had never been shot. I tell you, it is one of the most accurate rifles I have. It is a 2004 model, so does not have the fluted barrel. That would be very nice to have, just for the heat dissipation. After 5 shots, my barrel gets smoking hot. But, it's a hunting rifle. If I have to take that many shots on a critter, I might as well hand it up.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old September 26, 2022, 01:02 PM   #131
jackstrawIII
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 20, 2016
Location: Upstate NY.
Posts: 842
Quote:
How hard is it to find 257 Roberts ammo?
Very, very hard.
__________________
In God we trust.
jackstrawIII is offline  
Old September 29, 2022, 09:56 AM   #132
The Happy kaboomer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 14, 2009
Posts: 164
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN............Why not 1 or 6 or thirteen.
The Happy kaboomer is offline  
Old September 29, 2022, 10:42 AM   #133
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy kaboomer View Post
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN............Why not 1 or 6 or thirteen.
$$$ and space in the safe. Haha.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 09:53 AM   #134
HiBC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 13, 2006
Posts: 7,926
IMO,it just does not matter much.
If you are determined to be "A long range shooter" .....OK. By today's standards,no cartridge does that for you. A rangefinder and precise,repeatable sight adjustments does that.

Bullets have a minimum velocity to perform. In many cases,its around 2000 fps.
So,IMO, your "Long Range" is limited (generally speaking) to the range the chrono and the bullet maker tell you the bullet will perform.
Then consider many of us focus our attention/equiptment on the 1% or 5% fantasy shot...the "monster bull or ram or buck posing at something over 600 yards"
And we may choose a heavier,harder kicking, more expensive rifle,at the expense of the 95% or 99% of the shots a more modest rifle would excel at.

I have more than three. I don't much worry about what is on the shelf.
I have an old South Bend lathe. I can buy a receiver and a barrel. I've built most of my rifles. I handload. I don't buy factory loads.
My bolt hunting rifles include a 257 R AI . That covers most of it, I have more than one 30-06. I don't really need it,but I have a nice 375 Chatfield Taylor. Or (in other words) I neck 458 down to .375. Thats a nice cartridge.
Around 2600 with a 260 gr Accubond. Still fun to shoot.

Yes,I have 7mm Rem Mag and 30-338. I just got over the 400 yd plus idea.

My 5.56/223 varmint guns are AR's not bolt guns.

Any cartridge equivalent to WW1 and WW2 battle rifle cartridges and most of the neck up and neck downs will make a good hunting rifle.

It does not matter if you use a 7x57 or a 7-08 or a 308 or a 30-06 or and 8x57 or a 303. Get your range down to not much over 300 yds,place your shot and get your knife out. Or,get closer!

What do you want to carry,and what can/will you shoot well?

An interesting combination that I do not own is a 308 and a 338 Win. You can have two nearly identical rifles with nearly identical trajectories,
BC's and velocities line up (if you choose/load well) That means every round if 308 you shoot is good practice for the 338.

I suppose starting from scratch a 260 or a 6.5 Manbun ,(or 257 AI or 243) and a 308 (or 30-06) and a 338 Win (or 375 ) would get just about anything done. and a 9.3, or 338-06, or 35 Whelen all would serve well as medium bores. An arguement can be made that with modern bullets in North America.....they are more preference than necessity.

But your 270 ,and a host of other cartridges are just fine. So is your 30-30.

Where do you hunt? What do you hunt? What do you shoot well?

And things like "Its the Rifle Grandpa hunted with and gave me" matter. You can't buy one of those.
HiBC is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 10:29 AM   #135
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
IMO,it just does not matter much.
If you are determined to be "A long range shooter" .....OK. By today's standards,no cartridge does that for you. A rangefinder and precise,repeatable sight adjustments does that.

Bullets have a minimum velocity to perform. In many cases,its around 2000 fps.
So,IMO, your "Long Range" is limited (generally speaking) to the range the chrono and the bullet maker tell you the bullet will perform.
Then consider many of us focus our attention/equiptment on the 1% or 5% fantasy shot...the "monster bull or ram or buck posing at something over 600 yards"
And we may choose a heavier,harder kicking, more expensive rifle,at the expense of the 95% or 99% of the shots a more modest rifle would excel at.

I have more than three. I don't much worry about what is on the shelf.
I have an old South Bend lathe. I can buy a receiver and a barrel. I've built most of my rifles. I handload. I don't buy factory loads.
My bolt hunting rifles include a 257 R AI . That covers most of it, I have more than one 30-06. I don't really need it,but I have a nice 375 Chatfield Taylor. Or (in other words) I neck 458 down to .375. Thats a nice cartridge.
Around 2600 with a 260 gr Accubond. Still fun to shoot.

Yes,I have 7mm Rem Mag and 30-338. I just got over the 400 yd plus idea.

My 5.56/223 varmint guns are AR's not bolt guns.

Any cartridge equivalent to WW1 and WW2 battle rifle cartridges and most of the neck up and neck downs will make a good hunting rifle.

It does not matter if you use a 7x57 or a 7-08 or a 308 or a 30-06 or and 8x57 or a 303. Get your range down to not much over 300 yds,place your shot and get your knife out. Or,get closer!

What do you want to carry,and what can/will you shoot well?

An interesting combination that I do not own is a 308 and a 338 Win. You can have two nearly identical rifles with nearly identical trajectories,
BC's and velocities line up (if you choose/load well) That means every round if 308 you shoot is good practice for the 338.

I suppose starting from scratch a 260 or a 6.5 Manbun ,(or 257 AI or 243) and a 308 (or 30-06) and a 338 Win (or 375 ) would get just about anything done. and a 9.3, or 338-06, or 35 Whelen all would serve well as medium bores. An arguement can be made that with modern bullets in North America.....they are more preference than necessity.

But your 270 ,and a host of other cartridges are just fine. So is your 30-30.

Where do you hunt? What do you hunt? What do you shoot well?

And things like "Its the Rifle Grandpa hunted with and gave me" matter. You can't buy one of those.
Where do you hunt? I hunt in NC right now, but ready to start my bucket list before I get to the point I can't hunt. Planning a hunt in TX for deer and hog, Maine for black bear and CO for elk.

What do you hunt? Above. Mostly whitetail.

What do you shoot well? I have to say, I probably shoot my Remington 270 Mountain Rifle and my CVA 6.5 Creedmoor the best. Still trying to get better with the 30-30, but I am good enough at 100 yards to kill a deer and if I take it out, it will be because shots are shore distance in the woods.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 12:05 PM   #136
HiBC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 13, 2006
Posts: 7,926
Cool. Rifles are like golf clubs. You migt need a driver,a 5 iron,a 9 iron,and a putter but it depends on where you hunt and what you hunt.
I've lived in Northern Colorado since 1966 .
FWIW, bow hunters and muzzle loader hunters get their game.

We are having fun with shades of grey and splitting hairs. Thats OK.

Your Grandpa could do anything that needed doing with his one hunting rifle.

It might have been a $20 NRA/DCM 1903A3 that Old Louis the local crotchety gunsmith slicked up, put a Bishop stock on it,and maybe a Lyman All American 3X or 4X scope on it. (Or a Weaver or a Redfield) .Original barrel in 30-06.

That,or an equivalent Mauser or Remchester would take any pronghorn,deer,or elk Grandpa decided to shoot at. It would do it then,it would do it now.

And it would not matter if it was a 7x57 or 6.5x55.

I know,hunting public land within 50 miles of my house,some years things went wrong and I never saw an elk. Obviously,I needed a bigger gun!

Except it ain't the arrow. Its the native indigenous hunter person.

But wanting and buying new guns is part of what we do.
HiBC is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 03:17 PM   #137
taylorce1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2005
Location: On the Santa Fe Trail
Posts: 7,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret
I hunt in NC right now
Isn't there some great black bear hunting in NC? IIRC they were killing some big bears there a few years ago. You might look for a hunt in your back yard before going to Maine for a bear. Moose is a different story, I'd go to maine in a heartbeat!
__________________
NRA Life Member
taylorce1 is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 03:45 PM   #138
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Isn't there some great black bear hunting in NC? IIRC they were killing some big bears there a few years ago. You might look for a hunt in your back yard before going to Maine for a bear. Moose is a different story, I'd go to maine in a heartbeat!
Most of what I have seen is private land for bear. Not near where I am. Need to make some connections for that or try and find one of those places that caters to disabled veterans.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 07:55 PM   #139
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 10,406
About 95% of all the land in Maine is privately owned. But we do have big bears--big deer and big moose.
__________________
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Old October 2, 2022, 08:34 PM   #140
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
About 95% of all the land in Maine is privately owned. But we do have big bears--big deer and big moose.
My buddy does an annual trip up there and I have an open invite every year. One of these days when things get better I am hoping to go.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 03:00 AM   #141
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 10,406
Quote:
My buddy does an annual trip up there and I have an open invite every year. One of these days when things get better I am hoping to go.
Moose hunt is gearing up right now.Tags are awarded through a lottery, it can take years before drawing a tag. For some totally bizarre unknown reason it seems to me that women/girls and novice hunters draw most of the tags.
__________________
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 07:20 AM   #142
taylorce1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2005
Location: On the Santa Fe Trail
Posts: 7,756
Well good luck on the bear! It's nice to have connections.
__________________
NRA Life Member
taylorce1 is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 10:57 AM   #143
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Moose hunt is gearing up right now.Tags are awarded through a lottery, it can take years before drawing a tag. For some totally bizarre unknown reason it seems to me that women/girls and novice hunters draw most of the tags.
Yeah, the lottery systems are always rigged, in my opinion.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 10:58 AM   #144
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Yeah, the lottery systems are always rigged, in my opinion.
It is. When I was in CO, I had all kinds of private land to hunt on for antelope, whitetail and mule deer. I hated to leave, but the USAF had other plans. Always look back and wished I would have punched my ticket and stayed, but I had 15 years in.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 03:00 PM   #145
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 10,406
Quote:
It is. When I was in CO, I had all kinds of private land to hunt on for antelope, whitetail and mule deer. I hated to leave, but the USAF had other plans. Always look back and wished I would have punched my ticket and stayed, but I had 15 years in.
There's a way back if you want it bad enough.
__________________
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 05:32 PM   #146
taylorce1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2005
Location: On the Santa Fe Trail
Posts: 7,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagpanther
There's a way back if you want it bad enough
CO has a lot of issues right now the biggest is crime, housing, energy, water, and politics. I'd move to Wyoming if a person was wanting to come West. Ten more years and I'm probably moving Southeast.
__________________
NRA Life Member
taylorce1 is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 06:47 PM   #147
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
CO has a lot of issues right now the biggest is crime, housing, energy, water, and politics. I'd move to Wyoming if a person was wanting to come West. Ten more years and I'm probably moving Southeast.
Wyoming was where I wanted to settle. My son wanted us to move out west and be near him. When he passed away a year ago, that dream passed with him. My wife is completely disabled and I am in pretty bad shape myself. The Lord provided us with a home in NC and we have the stuff near us we need. Also have some friends nearby and a place I can hunt. I might make it out to do something guided before I can't.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 3, 2022, 08:19 PM   #148
MarkCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21, 1998
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
It is. When I was in CO, I had all kinds of private land to hunt on for antelope, whitetail and mule deer. I hated to leave, but the USAF had other plans. Always look back and wished I would have punched my ticket and stayed, but I had 15 years in.
I hunted a lot of private land, mostly for the asking, in the 1980s and 1990s. Now, it is almost all sold to big corps, leased for out of staters, or just locked up due to slob hunters. I hunt anything but the main rifle seasons now. Still filling public land tags, but getting a little disillusioned. 38 Elk is a good run, and more deer, a few less Pronghorn. But yes, CO is headed down a path I don't want to stay on much longer. As much as I love the mountains, the hunting and fishing, seeing it ruined breaks my heart.
__________________
Good Shooting, MarkCO
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline  
Old October 4, 2022, 08:41 AM   #149
USAF Ret
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 8, 2017
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I hunted a lot of private land, mostly for the asking, in the 1980s and 1990s. Now, it is almost all sold to big corps, leased for out of staters, or just locked up due to slob hunters. I hunt anything but the main rifle seasons now. Still filling public land tags, but getting a little disillusioned. 38 Elk is a good run, and more deer, a few less Pronghorn. But yes, CO is headed down a path I don't want to stay on much longer. As much as I love the mountains, the hunting and fishing, seeing it ruined breaks my heart.
That is exactly what my son said. He was in the mountains every weekend. He said when they legalized Mary Jane, it was the downfall of CO. Dopers from CA and other states moved in and ruined things. Like you said, then small landowners have been basically bought out and rifle season looks like a bunch of orange ants on the landscape.
USAF Ret is offline  
Old October 4, 2022, 05:12 PM   #150
MarkCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21, 1998
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
He said when they legalized Mary Jane, it was the downfall of CO.
That is part of it, but not all. But that would be off-topic for the thread.

I am reading some predictions that the end of the 15 year drought, record numbers of animals and not yet full on wokeness enacted will yield a few years of very good hunting in CO. So I might ride out another few years and get some more tags filled. I have Elk and Deer this year. Getting close for Moose and another Pronghorn tag.
__________________
Good Shooting, MarkCO
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2021 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.09795 seconds with 11 queries